Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To address the complaints:
- was PP done? Yes, some was done since the photos were reduced in size. That alone will remove some noise (and detail). But clearly there wasn't "full PP" as a pro photographer would do
- light: it appears to be a slightly overcast day and the photos were taken when the sun is high. This is almost worst case scenario insofar as natural lighting goes and tends to produce bland 2D photos, with blown out highlights and high possibility of fringing
- CA and purple fringing: these are more to do with lens and subject lighting than the camera itself. A good photographer would take those things into account and PP if anything is left over. can't fault a camera for recording those things
- the photos aren't stunning? of course, they are sample photos taken in a regular city. Doesn't matter what camera you use, those photos won't floor you. That is why the camera needs a photographer who takes time, thinks about composition, finds a good frame, waits for good lighting, etc. I'm sure once photographers get their hands on this camera the photos will be much more stunning than sample photos of walls. Im sure if the reviewers had more time with the camera, if their income depending on the photos looking good, they would make some great shots. But these photos are samples, they are not allowed to be post processed and such.

What the samples do show, however, is that the photos are large and esthetically pleasing, there is no bothersome noise or artefacts, the DR is good and the colours are nice.

05-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
To address the complaints:
- was PP done? Yes, some was done since the photos were reduced in size. That alone will remove some noise (and detail). But clearly there wasn't "full PP" as a pro photographer would do
- light: it appears to be a slightly overcast day and the photos were taken when the sun is high. This is almost worst case scenario insofar as natural lighting goes and tends to produce bland 2D photos, with blown out highlights and high possibility of fringing
- CA and purple fringing: these are more to do with lens and subject lighting than the camera itself. A good photographer would take those things into account and PP if anything is left over. can't fault a camera for recording those things
- the photos aren't stunning? of course, they are sample photos taken in a regular city. Doesn't matter what camera you use, those photos won't floor you. That is why the camera needs a photographer who takes time, thinks about composition, finds a good frame, waits for good lighting, etc. I'm sure once photographers get their hands on this camera the photos will be much more stunning than sample photos of walls. Im sure if the reviewers had more time with the camera, if their income depending on the photos looking good, they would make some great shots. But these photos are samples, they are not allowed to be post processed and such.

What the samples do show, however, is that the photos are large and esthetically pleasing, there is no bothersome noise or artefacts, the DR is good and the colours are nice.
Well written. I agree. Well, I wasn't expecting much from a two hour walk about. But I was hoping they got the elements right to some extent. That's why I said it felt like they were on a tight schedule. I believe in the right hands, it will come out greatly. Thanks TS for sharing.

---------- Post added 05-28-14 at 11:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No, it's just the standard 'walk-about-for-a-hour-or-two-and-shoot-some-stuff-near-our-office-with-a-camera-we-just-got-an-hour-ago' set of sample shots you see for every camera review or preview on photographyblog.com.

If the weather is good in London, or something interesting is happening nearby, their sample shots can look quite good, if a bit dull. They don't do anything fancy to their shots as a rule - most are just OOC JPEGs with default settings.

And usually they put up some RAW's too. Maybe RAWs and full size JPEGs will appear for the 645Z later.

As a guide to their form, here's their 645D sample shots:
Pentax 645D Photos | PhotographyBLOG

or their D800E sample shots:
Nikon D800E Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

or their Nikon Coolpix P530 samples:
Nikon Coolpix P530 Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
Rawr,

Thanks for the comparison. I agree there is nothing fanciful. But I was hoping at least you gave some scene like the nearby skatepark or london backdrop. Again, it could have been the weather.

Still my 645z is on order
05-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
But I was hoping at least you gave some scene like the nearby skatepark or london backdrop.
A regular sample shot of Photographyblog is a standard London backdrop featuring the 'Gherkin' and activity on the Thames - eg like the one in this set from the K-5 or from the K-7, and many other cameras they have reviewed. Maybe soon they'll setup their tripod and do a similar shot with the 645Z.

Last edited by rawr; 05-28-2014 at 09:40 AM.