Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Which 645 lenses to bring to Africa?

Hi guys, I am going to Africa with the 645z (hopefully).

I am thinking of bringing the 25F4, 120F4 or 150 F2.8, 300 F4 to gain the maximum in terms of sharpness to match the resolving power of the 51mp sensor in the 645z.

Anyone who has been to Africa (more specifcally South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe) with their 645D? What lens combination did you use?

05-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Johannesburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 160
If you are coming to Africa to do the scenery and animals I'd bring the 25mm, the 120mm and the 300mm. The 45-85mm would probably be your best walkaround lens though.


Once your arms have fallen off from lugging all of that kit around, please drop the lenses off with me. I live in Johannesburg in South Africa and I'd love some more for my 645n.


Happy shooting, I'm sure you're going to get some awesome pictures!
05-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 420
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
Hi guys, I am going to Africa with the 645z (hopefully).

I am thinking of bringing the 25F4, 120F4 or 150 F2.8, 300 F4 to gain the maximum in terms of sharpness to match the resolving power of the 51mp sensor in the 645z.

Anyone who has been to Africa (more specifcally South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe) with their 645D? What lens combination did you use?
I would certainly add the 400mm, 75mm and a 1.4x.
05-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Original Poster
Dear all, I forgot to add. Anything between that focal range is covered by my LEICA

So will be taking a 50 nocti or 75 lux.

Thomas, I have a choice between the 300 F4, 400 5.6. Can't bring both.

05-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arizona
Photos: Albums
Posts: 330
Well I spent quite a long time living in Namibia. Honestly it depends on your route and what your goals are. Namibia is a land of amazing landscapes and very unique desert adapted wildlife. Landscapes aren't too hard there but you have to spend a lot of time there to get dramatic skies. Even clouds are rare. Aerial is great for the dunes and coast as the fog blanket and dunes meeting the deep blue ocean make excellent opportunities. The east wind (mild to strong sand storms) which comes around every so often can be difficult to photograph but is excellent with wildlife and a sun hidden muted landscape. An the evenings after them can make amazing colours for sunset.

Animals, well the desert animals are quite shy (lots of commercial hunting and some poaching) and the just wide open spaces mean you need long lenses. But then again I often found myself working on foot with desert elephants, oryx, and giraffe (and charged by a lion on foot once not knowing she was behind the only bush within 30miles...)

If you go to the private game parks or national parks in most cases a long lens is less needed. (You also have to think about if environmental wildlife or head and shoulders portraits are what you want). But the only national park I was every pleased with from a wildlife and landscape perspective was the transfrontier park in Botswana and South Africa. Since I mostly did environmental shots when working with wildlife, landscape was important for wildlife.

I used everything from the 35mm (sometimes stitching images) to the 600mm with 1.4x converter. So if travelling there for a trip you almost need to fine tune your goals or you will be bringing two suitcases of gear. I had all my gear easy since I was living there long term and had 800lbs of airfreight crated for me.

Bring everything you could possibly need. Actually where are you located? I have a screw on replacement South African plug I can send you. They make the best power adapters for charging just cut the plug off short of an extension cord with three outlets on the end and wire on the new SA plug. Will not break like cheapo power adapters and gives three outlets... (remember most 120V power strips have a fuse or breaker in them that won't work on 240V)

Any questions though feel free to PM me and we can even do a phone chat. I have a lot of resources and experience travelling a lot of different areas.
05-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Well I spent quite a long time living in Namibia. Honestly it depends on your route and what your goals are. Namibia is a land of amazing landscapes and very unique desert adapted wildlife. Landscapes aren't too hard there but you have to spend a lot of time there to get dramatic skies. Even clouds are rare. Aerial is great for the dunes and coast as the fog blanket and dunes meeting the deep blue ocean make excellent opportunities. The east wind (mild to strong sand storms) which comes around every so often can be difficult to photograph but is excellent with wildlife and a sun hidden muted landscape. An the evenings after them can make amazing colours for sunset.

Animals, well the desert animals are quite shy (lots of commercial hunting and some poaching) and the just wide open spaces mean you need long lenses. But then again I often found myself working on foot with desert elephants, oryx, and giraffe (and charged by a lion on foot once not knowing she was behind the only bush within 30miles...)

If you go to the private game parks or national parks in most cases a long lens is less needed. (You also have to think about if environmental wildlife or head and shoulders portraits are what you want). But the only national park I was every pleased with from a wildlife and landscape perspective was the transfrontier park in Botswana and South Africa. Since I mostly did environmental shots when working with wildlife, landscape was important for wildlife.

I used everything from the 35mm (sometimes stitching images) to the 600mm with 1.4x converter. So if travelling there for a trip you almost need to fine tune your goals or you will be bringing two suitcases of gear. I had all my gear easy since I was living there long term and had 800lbs of airfreight crated for me.

Bring everything you could possibly need. Actually where are you located? I have a screw on replacement South African plug I can send you. They make the best power adapters for charging just cut the plug off short of an extension cord with three outlets on the end and wire on the new SA plug. Will not break like cheapo power adapters and gives three outlets... (remember most 120V power strips have a fuse or breaker in them that won't work on 240V)

Any questions though feel free to PM me and we can even do a phone chat. I have a lot of resources and experience travelling a lot of different areas.
Thanks for the long reply. Well, the number of places I am going to is as follows:

WINDHOEK, Sossusvlei, Sesriem Canyon, Okahandja, Erindi (The private game reserve included), Waterberg Plateau, Kavango , RUNDU ► DIVUNDU ► MAHANGO (MAHANGO GAME PARK) ► KONGOLA ► BWABWATA ► KATIMA MULILO ► NGOMA BORDERPOST ► KASANE ► CHOBE(260km) ► KAZANGULA BORDERPOST ► VIC FALLS

I guess the thing is that I can't bring everything along. Don't worry about the voltage thing, we use 220-240V here in Singapore. A matter of switching heads and my is all trip safe. No need a step down or step up voltage regular. Thanks for the offer.

I suppose I will go Pentax 25F4, 120F4 or 150 F2.8, 300 F4. Then LEICA to cover 50f F1 or 75 lux. That will leave me with effectively in FF (35mm), 19mm, 50mm, 95mm/120mm, 240mm/320mm.
05-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arizona
Photos: Albums
Posts: 330
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
Thanks for the long reply. Well, the number of places I am going to is as follows:

WINDHOEK, Sossusvlei, Sesriem Canyon, Okahandja, Erindi (The private game reserve included), Waterberg Plateau, Kavango , RUNDU ► DIVUNDU ► MAHANGO (MAHANGO GAME PARK) ► KONGOLA ► BWABWATA ► KATIMA MULILO ► NGOMA BORDERPOST ► KASANE ► CHOBE(260km) ► KAZANGULA BORDERPOST ► VIC FALLS

I guess the thing is that I can't bring everything along. Don't worry about the voltage thing, we use 220-240V here in Singapore. A matter of switching heads and my is all trip safe. No need a step down or step up voltage regular. Thanks for the offer.

I suppose I will go Pentax 25F4, 120F4 or 150 F2.8, 300 F4. Then LEICA to cover 50f F1 or 75 lux. That will leave me with effectively in FF (35mm), 19mm, 50mm, 95mm/120mm, 240mm/320mm.
I sent you a PM with a bit more information. Hope it helps. You will have a great trip.
06-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: pontiac mi.
Posts: 353
where you'll be shooting from will be a factor. if on foot "oh boy" you will be limited by weight. if from a tour vehicle then bring all you need to cover your needs.
for close-up wide angle the 25mm is a must. for general use the 45-85mm, for long range the 200mm and the 300mm or the 400mm your choice. it won't hurt to throw in a 2x tc, pentax's is a top quality item and will give excellent results with the long lenses. you will be limited to manual focus, but with practice, it's doable. one last thing, don't sweat the shots you miss while changing lenses, there will always be another good chance.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, africa, camera, medium format
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which lenses to bring on Peru trip? theWags Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-29-2014 12:25 AM
which lens to bring??? nutkasse Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-20-2014 11:20 AM
What lenses to bring on a trip to NY & DC? lenp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 06-24-2013 05:45 AM
Which lenses to bring to Comic-con New York? Vantage-Point Photographic Technique 3 08-07-2011 11:57 AM
Upcoming trip to Las Vegas (which lenses to bring?) dgaies Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 06-11-2010 05:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top