Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tripod Options Medium Format?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys,

I have been looking into sturdy tripod options, Im aware you get what you pay for for most things, coming from 35mm (dslr) I'm worried my tripod is going to be a bit light weight and shaky for a 645 camera and its hefty glass.

Im wondering what you guys are using for Medium Format tripods. I have heard a lot about really right stuff tripods. Im looking for maybe something slightly more affordable but will stand the test of time.

Has anyone used these? Coman TG340CT Legs - Coman TG340CT Carbon Fiber Tripod W Head Mounting Plate Video Bowl Adapter | eBay

They look like pretty good quality.

Tom

06-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been using a Bogen (Manfrotto) 3021 with my 645s for 20+ years. Haven't even needed to order replacement parts yet.

I believe this is the closest replacement:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718590-REG/Manfrotto_055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Kit.html

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-04-2014 at 11:48 PM.
06-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #3

I use a Gitzo Series2 Basalt with an ArcaSwiss p0 head.
No problems with my P67 so far, but I haven't used lenses longer than 200mm yet.

Rgds,
Gerd.
06-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you had a look at Sirui Tripods. Very sturdy, well priced and with 6 years warrenty.

http://thephotogadget.com/products/pro-sirui-r-4203-tripod-video-camcorder-a...g-maxload-20kg

06-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Twist-lock sectioned legs are fast and easier to use than snap-close leg locks. That said, carbon fibre tripods are fine for medium format so long as they have oversized sections and there is no noticeable twisting (when lightly forced) or wobbling. If the camera is being used with a heavy lens, a tripod collar for the lens should be employed rather than leave it to the camera to support a big lens.

Now a word about something else. Quality if subjective. Tripods are an investment stability, safety and security. It makes a lot of sense to buy the best you can afford, and perhaps not necessarily stomp on the first thing that comes out of China. Yes, I am biased. I have a lot of hindsight experience helping others who have rued their "bargain" purchase and come to grief. I would strongly recommend Manfrotto, Bogen or Gitzo — especially with a few reports here in Australia of cracking of CF legs appearing in some of the cheaper products coming out of China.

If you do a lot of cold weather shooting tripods with the foam leg covers are an extremely worthwhile consideration, and they also go a long way to adding stability when you are moving the tripod around or portaging the tripod against your shoulder. You can of course fit them yourself to any tripod, as I did with my own.

( FYI, I use a Pentax 67 on a Manfrotto 190CF tripod with a Manfrotto Mg heavy duty head with oversized docking plate. My EOS1N is a heavy beast but gets by very well on a Gitzo CF (the camera often is at work with a 70-200mm f2.8L lens collar-mounted to the tripod). )

Last edited by Silent Street; 06-05-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Expansion
06-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the same Tiltall tripod since the 1960s when they were made by the Leica USA division. Now I hear they are made in China, but the design looks the same. Not fancy or stylish - just works well.
TE-01B (Black)
I use it with my 6x7 and Hassy
06-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The problem with modern tripods is that they try to be sturdy and lightweight at the same time. If you are hiking long distances with your medium format gear and tripod on your back then maybe it makes sense, but you'll pay a huge premium because sturdy and lightweight are inherently contradictory.

Personally I rarely have to carry my tripods more than a few hundred meters so I pick the oldest, heaviest and sturdiest thing I can find. The beauty is that in the world of used tripods these things are cheap. You're better off getting those heavy, cheap legs and then spending your hard earned money on a good head.

My biggest tripod is a Gitzo series 4 that is cosmetically ugly and weighs a ton but is sturdy as can be. I use it with the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head for birding witha dslr and 300/2.8, or with a pan head and any of my larger MF bodies. It was great with the Mamiya RB! I got the tripod for about $200. My next tripod is an old Manfrotto 055C. It is also heavy by modern Manfrotto standards since it isn't carbon or aluminum. I frequently use it with an old Velbon ball head that is actually very nice but I can't remember the model number. This rig is more than sufficient for all of the MF cameras I currently own (67ii, 645N, Fuji GF670 and Mamiya 6) I paid less than $100 for the tripod.

Beyond that I have several lighter tripods but they aren't quite up to the MF task.

06-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'll weigh in here with 2 other points that I'm sure everyone knows but haven't been mentioned. Carbon fiber or wood have better dampening than any metal. Also, weighting the tripod with your gear bag or water/sand bags is always a good idea, but is especially so for low mass/lightweight tripods. Just sayin'....

I use an aluminum tripod on a heavy duty dolly in the studio, a Manfrotto with a leveling base that was part of their video lineup, but whatever...their website is a mess but it looks like they don't offer this product anymore. You have to buy legs and then add the leveling base, head goes on top of that. Why? Well, it's super quick to level up the tripod independently of the head. I moved away from my usual ball head setup for studio work and instead have their geared head and love it.

Trouble with these robust and heavy setups, however, is twofold. The first is obviously humping the thing. As you get older this is not trivial, and it's not trivial for anyone doing longer hikes and significant elevation gains. But this is just a matter of your pain tolerance and age/fitness quotient.

A much more serious problem today is airlines. Weight and size is a big, big deal, and most airlines have gotten very strict. You pay for it, and anything larger or heavier has to get checked, and all that that entails. Thus for travel and a lot of field work i went with the Feisol CT-3441S, an earlier model now discontinued, so I got a great deal on it, and an Acratech ball head. I found this to be the best combo of height, weight, sturdiness, other features, compactness (folded) and price. With my bag it fits in the overhead bin, no size or weight issues, even on smaller aircraft, as in Alaskan puddle jumpers.

Last edited by texandrews; 06-06-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: misspelled word
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Manfrotto 028 & 229 head for my 6x7 and heavier lenses. They both support 12kg.

For lighter 6x7 lenses I use my Manfrotto 055XPROB & 808RC4 head. They support 7kg & 8kg.

I have three other lighter Manfrottos for my 35mm film cameras.

Phil.
06-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I used Bogen Manfrotto 3021 legs, which I consider cheap and don't worry about getting them beat up with sand and scratches, etc, but go RRS for my ball head. I find that my BH-40 is a good lightweight head that works with my 645D and most lenses...if you're using heavier lenses, I'd go to the BH-55. With my BH-40 it doesn't quite cut it for my 300mm and sometimes struggles when using my nodal slide for panoramas.
06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I can get a sharp shot in the 1/60+ range with a mono pod and my Pentax 6x7 with lenses under 165mm. It should be a much easier go with a 645N. I bet you could get by with a compact hiking tripod assuming you're not putting long glass on it and have good technique.
06-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Forum Member

I use a Manfrotto Carbone 440 three section tripod (I think the Manfrotto 055 series tripods replaced that) with an Arca Swiss P0 ball head. I prefer flip locks to twist locks. I find them to be faster and easier to adjust height. You can also know if they are unlocked just by looking at them. I use this tripod with focal lengths up to 300mm and for exposures in the minutes with a 645D. The Arca Swiss P0 is a great head--small, light, and flexible. I put a short column on my tripod to reduce weight. I need to be able to carry this all day over all kinds of terrain. For indoors, I have a large Gitzo tripod.

I have also used 4x5, 6x12 panorama, and 6x6 cameras on this tripod. Buy a good tripod and one that is going to suit what you need it for and it will last you a really long time.
06-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Hi guys,

I have been looking into sturdy tripod options, Im aware you get what you pay for for most things, coming from 35mm (dslr) I'm worried my tripod is going to be a bit light weight and shaky for a 645 camera and its hefty glass.

Im wondering what you guys are using for Medium Format tripods. I have heard a lot about really right stuff tripods. Im looking for maybe something slightly more affordable but will stand the test of time.

Has anyone used these? Coman TG340CT Legs - Coman TG340CT Carbon Fiber Tripod W Head Mounting Plate Video Bowl Adapter | eBay

They look like pretty good quality.

Tom

What set of legs are you shooting with on your DSLR? I would be willing to be they work fine for 645 unless your shooting long glass. That said, a CF tripod like your looking at is obviously a great idea. Texandrews made some great points on dampening and travel.

As for my set of legs... I really like my Induro CT214 legs, they are extremely compact, support 26lbs and with a heavy duty head i use them regularly for both my 5D2 and my Pentax 67 Rig (considerably more often than my trusty Gitzo 410 legs). They are priced similarly on amazon to your eBay legs.
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Forum Member

I have a Sirui K-30x on a set of Bogen 3021BPRO legs. The legs although not for sale anymore, I would not recommend something in that class, I will be upgrading them. They have a bad weight to support ratio.

I looked around a lot of ball heads and decided to order a Sirui K-30x knowing I could just return it if it was below my standards. Is it the best ball head? No. But its worth every penny of $140 in my opinion. Its rated for a 55lb load. Its a good practice with ball heads to divide by 3. So 18lbs, my P67 rig at most would be 8.5 lbs. The action is smooth, it holds very well. The torsion settings work exactly how they should. It's pretty much a copy of the Markins Head's. It slips a little if you don't tighten it up and set it at an extreme angle in the vertical notch, but a L bracket is a better option for going vertical anyway.

As for legs. I've narrowed it down to either Induro CT214, a very well made set of legs for $400 or taking another chance with a Sirui R3203. The Gitzo Systematic line would be a good option as well, but I think at that point I'd just go RSS.

---------- Post added 06-06-14 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hakusan Quote
I use a Manfrotto Carbone 440 three section tripod (I think the Manfrotto 055 series tripods replaced that) with an Arca Swiss P0 ball head. I prefer flip locks to twist locks. I find them to be faster and easier to adjust height. You can also know if they are unlocked just by looking at them. I use this tripod with focal lengths up to 300mm and for exposures in the minutes with a 645D. The Arca Swiss P0 is a great head--small, light, and flexible. I put a short column on my tripod to reduce weight. I need to be able to carry this all day over all kinds of terrain. For indoors, I have a large Gitzo tripod.

I have also used 4x5, 6x12 panorama, and 6x6 cameras on this tripod. Buy a good tripod and one that is going to suit what you need it for and it will last you a really long time.
That is a nice head ! The manfrotto flip locks just bother me.