Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A new 645Z rumor

Posted in the infamous DPR, that the entire production run of 645Z's is already pre-sold out. Can anyone confirm, or (hopefully) contradict this rumor? Apparently a Euro source.

06-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure there are lots of pre-orders, but it's hard to say anything until the cameras actually start shipping...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, Pentax is doomed
06-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow, Pentax is doomed
How so?

06-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

toby, it's a common knowledge! even kindergarteners know that, it's as clear as the fact, that Earth is indeed flat.
06-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tobyshootspentax Quote
How so?
I don't know yet, I just wanted to be the first to say it in this thread
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

If Pentax were doomed, as you put it, people wouldn't buy anything from them at all, but that seems obviously not to be the case if a camera that went on sale not long ago has already sold out. What makes you think they're doomed?

06-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

@tobyshootpentax, don't worry, this is kind of a joke here. Pentax is doomed.

And by the way, 645z is not on the market yet. Will be at the end of this month.
06-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Well it is encouraging indeed. I don't remember the 645D has such a reception or buzz. Hats off to Ricoh/Pentax for their marketing strategy. On a side note, it could be due to them being conservative and allocating x amount of units to be produced for external markets (like how they did with the Ricoh GR). You don't want to produce 50k worth of units in the first year knowing that you will not sell more than that.
06-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
@tobyshootpentax, don't worry, this is kind of a joke here. Pentax is doomed.

And by the way, 645z is not on the market yet. Will be at the end of this month.
Yes, I know about the joke. I'm an Olympus pre m43rds veteran (before I moved to Sony), so I know all about falling skies and doom.

And actually it is on the market, in a way. You can pre-order at B&H, Adorama, and Samy's in the U.S., and maybe some other places. That means they are (and have been!) accepting orders. You are put in the queue (I've done this before with other gear), and when the item becomes available those in the queue are served in order, first to last. If they run out, you're S.O.L. They won't show "sold out" on these sites until they close the deals, but I have seen things "pre-sell out". Then you wait until the manufacturer can ship again.

I would not have posted this if I wasn't a bit concerned. I was hoping to hold off drawing money out of an account until I knew the thing was really here, but this is a new wrinkle.

Sony has had the same problem a few times now, first with the NEX 7, and then with the A7R, and there's been issues with couple of lenses, I think. Given what I've been told about Pentax USA, I am a little worried. Sony is big enough to get on the stick and ramp up new production, but this rumor says Pentax's entire production run is "pre-sold". I hope that means to dealers only, and not to the end users. I'm not certain Pentax can do what Sony can do in a situation like this. I'd hate to have to wait a year or more to get one of these things.....
06-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What this post from DPR says is that the 2014 production run was sold, not the whole. And another previous rumor was that this year production run, about 2000 pieces, was bought by institutions from Japan, which is possible, theoretically, considering the price of the competitors MF cameras.

But this are just rumors. And, maybe a little marketing behind them.
06-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax were doomed, as you put it, people wouldn't buy anything from them at all, but that seems obviously not to be the case if a camera that went on sale not long ago has already sold out. What makes you think they're doomed?
It's called sarcasm Toby. You'll find a lot of that around here ;-)
06-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #13

This could be good news. I've put in a pre-order for 2 units as I need a main and a back up. Maybe I can sell them on eBay for a profit and buy back in at a future date. I can continue with my existing kit for awhile yet.....
06-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, I know about the joke. I'm an Olympus pre m43rds veteran (before I moved to Sony), so I know all about falling skies and doom.

And actually it is on the market, in a way. You can pre-order at B&H, Adorama, and Samy's in the U.S., and maybe some other places. That means they are (and have been!) accepting orders. You are put in the queue (I've done this before with other gear), and when the item becomes available those in the queue are served in order, first to last. If they run out, you're S.O.L. They won't show "sold out" on these sites until they close the deals, but I have seen things "pre-sell out". Then you wait until the manufacturer can ship again.

I would not have posted this if I wasn't a bit concerned. I was hoping to hold off drawing money out of an account until I knew the thing was really here, but this is a new wrinkle.

Sony has had the same problem a few times now, first with the NEX 7, and then with the A7R, and there's been issues with couple of lenses, I think. Given what I've been told about Pentax USA, I am a little worried. Sony is big enough to get on the stick and ramp up new production, but this rumor says Pentax's entire production run is "pre-sold". I hope that means to dealers only, and not to the end users. I'm not certain Pentax can do what Sony can do in a situation like this. I'd hate to have to wait a year or more to get one of these things.....
Good suppliers will not charge your card until they ship.
06-07-2014, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Pentax is doomed
How so?
I don't know yet, I just wanted to be the first to say it in this thread
Really - the correct way to express that fundamental certainty is

PentaxIsDoomed™