Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
645 Extension Tubes

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone here have any experience with the 645 extension tubes? I have the 120mm macro already, so does it make sense to also get the extension tubes? I'm thinking about shooting some extra small objects (wild blueberries and dandelion seeds are what come immediately to mind).

Can anyone offer experience on the #1,#2,#3 set versus the helicoid? I'm assuming the helicoid just allows you to "zoom" without having to switch out the extension tubes.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

06-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ryan:

I have the tubes. They work well and are extremely well made and allow auto aperture and wide-open metering. If you want to go beyond 1:1, the tubes are indispensable (keep in mind DOF becomes very shallow).
There is so much focus length in the lens itself that I don't think the helicoid would be of much advantage. I don't have the 645 helicoid, but I do have the 67 version which does not allow automatic aperture or wide open metering; I would assume the 645 version has the same limitations.
06-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've ended up with both the 120 Macro AND the tubes AND the helicoid tube. Why? I wasn't sure what I'd be able to find so when a possibility came up I bought. The helicoid doesn't allow auto aperture, etc. Isn't that macro a marvel? You might want to look into a focus rail for macro shooting, makes life much, much easier. Adorama has one for about $90 which is up to the weight of the 645 plus the 120.
06-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the 120 but do have the tubes. Yep, they are well made and work just fine. I don't do a lot of close work with my 645 (film) though. I do have a 6x7 135mm macro and a converter to 645 mount if need it. I would also say that if I have a macro lens on any camera, I'm likely to use it much more over tubes, it's just easier for most things. YMMV

06-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I've ended up with both the 120 Macro AND the tubes AND the helicoid tube. Why? I wasn't sure what I'd be able to find so when a possibility came up I bought. The helicoid doesn't allow auto aperture, etc. Isn't that macro a marvel? You might want to look into a focus rail for macro shooting, makes life much, much easier. Adorama has one for about $90 which is up to the weight of the 645 plus the 120.

Thanks for the tip, I'm leaning towards the set of three tubes instead of the helicoid because they cost less and keep auto aperture. I usually use my RRS nodal slide as a macro slide (I think it might even be the same product). Certainly easier than moving the tripod, especially when shooting on uneven terrain.
06-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I like my helicoid because it keeps me from having to move my tripod. Between the lens helical focusing and the helicoid tube, there is lots of focusing latitude. I sometimes add a #2 tube with the helicoid when more magnification is needed. Yes, auto diaphragm is lost. Actually, the better performing zooms for both the 645 and the 67 do quite well in macro work.
06-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered my set of three extension tubes from KEH...should be here in a few days! Thanks for the input everyone!

06-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
great, can't wait to see your results using them.
I am late to the party but I use the tubes, not for macro, but mainly to overcome minimum focusing limits on some of my lenses. I got into a product shoot last summer and simply could not get close enough to the subject to get the shots I wanted. The #1 tube does the trick, especially with my 67 105/2.4 lens.
06-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some new macro work:

Ryan Tischer Photography | NEW IMAGES

---------- Post added 06-18-14 at 12:25 PM ----------

The bottom two are a bit older and not shot with the extension tubes, but thought I'd share anyway.
07-19-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

I've been looking for the Pentax set of tubes and they seem to be very hard to find. Does anyone know if the Mamiya ones (Mamiya 645 Pro Macro Auto Extension Tube Set 1 2 3 s 71 4 | eBay) will keep auto aperture on a 645Z?
07-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I highly doubt it. You might be better off with a set for the Pentax 67 as they are common. That would work if you had any 67 lenses and the 67 to 645 adapter between the tubes and camera.

There are Helicoid extension tubes available for the 645 on ebay.

Last edited by desertscape; 07-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
07-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
KEH.com did have some, but maybe I purchased the last set of tubes a few weeks ago! They just redid their website and I can't even seem to find where the lens accessories like those are located...eBay probably still has some 645 ext tubes. They were a little less on eBay when I looked, but came from overseas, so I just bought from KEH instead.
07-20-2014, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

120 macro with full set of tubes

I took this with full set of extension tubes today with A120 f4, flash light was used and on tripod too

645Z body.

uncrop image. Magnification about 50 percent more that normal 1:1.

marcus
08-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question about extension tubes

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I just ordered my set of three extension tubes from KEH...should be here in a few days! Thanks for the input everyone!

Ryan,
Looks like you bought the extension tubes for the 645. I was hoping to get some info from you that will help me determine if I have a bad copy.
I just purchased the extension tubes from somebody on eBay and tube #1 may have a problem.
There are 2 levers on the back of each tube. When you slide them with your finger they automatically spring back into place. One of the levers on tube #1 does not spring back after I move it (as it does on tubes #2 and #3).
I'm thinking there is a spring missing or broken but there's now way for me to know if it is even supposed to spring back.
Can you tell me if both of the levers spring back on your tube #1?

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks - Ken Marceau
08-21-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
... There are 2 levers on the back of each tube. When you slide them with your finger they automatically spring back into place. One of the levers on tube #1 does not spring back after I move it (as it does on tubes #2 and #3). I'm thinking there is a spring missing or broken but there's now way for me to know if it is even supposed to spring back. Can you tell me if both of the levers spring back on your tube #1?
I just checked mine. Nos 2 and 3 have springs on both levers; No 1 does not on one lever. When all three are connected together, the No 2 and 3 springs work the No 1 lever. My guess is that the No 1 depends on the lens when used alone.