Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

if you've got it, play with it.

it took me 45 years to get to where I could afford the good stuff, so now I try to have fun with it. the toys
1 a 645d
2 a 400mm f5.6
3 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters
4 a lens support
5 a good tripod.
I want more reach, so why not stack the two together? many say it's no good, the iq will be lousy , and you won't like it. how do "they" know what i'll like. whatever I have it's about me having fun with it. so I stacked them, some were pretty good, some not. I belive that pentax's lenses and teleconverters are really good, so here are a few samples. I keep trying new ideas with qall my cameras.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
06-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How do the stacked converters compare to cropping just the 2.0x?

The combo looks like it might be best for scenes without a lot of color or for B&W conversion. 1, 3, 5 came out reasonably well. 2 and 4 have a weird (IMO) glow to them. It looks like CA but could also be focus; DOF is thin and objects in front or back of the focus point might be fringing.
06-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's an interesting answer by George Lepp in a recent Outdoor Photographer.
06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
How do the stacked converters compare to cropping just the 2.0x?

The combo looks like it might be best for scenes without a lot of color or for B&W conversion. 1, 3, 5 came out reasonably well. 2 and 4 have a weird (IMO) glow to them. It looks like CA but could also be focus; DOF is thin and objects in front or back of the focus point might be fringing.

the glow is from picassa 3 when I think the contrast is off I use the auto contrast or do I feel lucky feature. sometimes I do use just the 1.4 or the 2x and crop, I liked some of the results from april 2014 outdoor photography, but i've been experimenting for 2 or 3 years . I've even done some with 2 2.0x plus the 1.4x, that's stretching it a lot, but sometimes it works.

06-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The latest converters from Pentax are so well corrected that when you see problems with the image, it is usually the magnification of the aberrations from the lens in front that is causing it. Always a good idea to stop down your lens to reduce this.