Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

If Ming were the next David Muench, I could understand all the hoopla, but he clearly is not.

06-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Update at 20:30 GMT+8: I received a call from Ricoh Malaysia on behalf of Pentax Ricoh Japan: they’re aware of it, senior management is meeting first thing in the morning and I should receive a formal reply shortly thereafter. This is very encouraging news: it means they’re listening. I must also commend Rissa and her team at DSC World/ Pentax Ricoh Malaysia for taking the initiative to escalate the issue to HQ to begin with without any intervention on my part – it is clear they are doing a good job in looking after the brand. I am hopeful for a positive outcome – not least because I’ve already bought 5 lenses in anticipation of the 645Z which would otherwise be useless.
Name and shame: ‘Pentax Ricoh Indonesia’ stole my image ? Ming Thein | Photographer
06-17-2014, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
If Ming were the next David Muench, I could understand all the hoopla, but he clearly is not.

I do agree. He comes across as highly addicted to technology — "technocentric" comes to mind, which is something I have observed in everyday Kuala Lumpur.

My prediction is that this "incident" will do him more damage than Pentax-Ricoh.
06-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hopefully the case will solve itself.

I am though affected about the whole thing anyhow and will await the outcome. I do not think that RP HQ will care if I buy this camera or not. It would be naive to think that little me would influence anything. I think it's a bit different when a well known Master photographer with many followers and students reacts.

I used the word *bulk ready* since I for many years didn't carry any MF camera. Becoming owner of a 645Z + a few new lenses will in my case mean I'll carry a bulky camera system again. In the past I shot film with 6 x 7 and 645 cameras. I have no other motivation to go MF again except for my wish to print larger maintaining high quality.

That's all for now.

06-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I personally feel that Ming has been a bit of a knob here.

What he should have done is contacted them, waited for a response, resolved the issue then posted a blog article about it.

He has made Pentax Ricoh out to be much much worse than they are and has carried on very inappropriately.

No love loss here from me for Pentax, but I know I will be reading his blog far less now.

And seriously, who cancels an order for their 645z because of this. Such princesses.

Scott
06-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 645zdreamer Quote
I think it's a bit different when a well known Master photographer with many followers and students reacts.
You're too humble, really...

06-18-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This whole Ming Thein Ricoh episode has totally changed my view of him.

Before this I viewed him as a bastion of class and professionalism. He's an exceptional photographer, and while there are lots of exceptional photographers out there, he separated himself from the pack by being classy and professional in his writings and the way he conducted his business.

It seems that now that he has an audience, he feels he can unleash his internet army upon anyone or anything that he perceives has wronged him, intentional or not. If I was a client or customer, I would have to assess the risk of working with someone who had a "shoot first (on the web) and ask later" policy on dealing with problems.

The way he threatened Ricoh-Pentax was pathetic. I'm pretty sure that Ricoh and allies > Ming and allies, and that if they wanted to, Ricoh could bring the god hammer down and crush Ming in all sorts of ways. Ming comes from the business world (I've read that he was some sort of high-level analyst for McDonald's in a past life, though that was from Reddit so take that with a grain of salt) so I'm baffled as to how he is unable to understand that Ricoh Japan most likely had no clue what had transpired with one of their local distributors until he brought it kicking and screaming to their attention. Ming wanted a response from Ricoh HQ in Japan, but only gave them the "better part of a day" to do so, which is laughably unrealistic. I'm kind of sad that Ricoh acquiesced and sent some exec to genuflect before Ming and beg for forgiveness.

Anyhoo, Ricoh Pentax did a good thing by responding, and they come off smelling like roses here. It's Ming's reputation that has taken a nosedive. I've tracked this discussion through the blogs and sites I visit (PF, DP, reddit r/photography, clubsnap). I'm sure this story was shopped to PetaPixel, but they didn't bite (good). Outside of Ming's hcore fanboys, there are a healthy majority of people who disagree with how Ming handled this issue. Some have even pointed out how he could have gotten more money had he just went with a "behind doors" legal approach to dealing with this, followed by a nice and professional blog summary afterwards. Now Ming is angling himself as some sort of photographer activist/martyr in this situation, but that's not really resonating. Because people don't really give a shit about that.

Wow. I really looked to Ming as an example of how a professional photographer should move forward in today's world. But no more.
06-18-2014, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I like Ming Thein as a photographer, but he totally overreacted in this scenario. He lost a little bit of respect from me over this issue.

I'm just reading the comments on the article now, and Ming is coming off as a little boy who had one of his toys broken by another kid on the playground. The way he's trying to rally his fans against a company for his own little vendetta is disgusting. He gave a giant company only "the better part of a day" to come up with a response. Unrealistic. If after a couple of days there was no response, then it would have been more appropriate to go to war.
I came to the conclusion last year based on unrelated events that:

1) Ming is a good photographer
2) Ming has a real ego and at times comes across as a bit... entitled

#2 is not unusual and no sin, just not something to admire.

06-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
If I was a client or customer, I would have to assess the risk of working with someone who had a "shoot first (on the web) and ask later" policy on dealing with problems.
Indeed. Not pro. Bridges = burnt.
06-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Ming shot himself in the foot with this - too bad.
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Well, this guy is fighting for all photographer's right and you guys said he could have handle it better?

wow. like someone did you a favor and you told him he could do better.

wow, wow.... no wonder companies don't take photographer's right seriously.
06-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Taking it to a public forum so quickly was a questionable (not "wrong", I said "questionable" because we're questioning it). Maybe he should have waited a few days for Ricoh to reply before posting it online, or maybe he should have made a brief mention of it but shouldn't have encouraged his readers to contact Ricoh, or maybe he handled everything correctly. The posts above show the PF community has a range of opinions on it.

Regardless, it appears that he never demanded money from Ricoh, he just wanted an apology.

The only "villain" here appears to be the web designer who unilaterally grabbed an unlicensed photo. Depending on local employment/contract law, maybe Ricoh should withhold part of the designer's payment and send it to the photographer.
06-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter

after reading the comments, I think Ming really overreacted. If I were Ricoh, after the demanded apology, I wouldn't sell him another camera.
06-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Seems he has received his apology and is backing off :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14450843694/
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 645zdreamer Quote
I am a potential buyer of a Pentax 645Z and the bundle of lenses going for it. This would be my first attempt entering the DSLR MF world and I've been looking very much forward to become the owner of this dream camera. The only hurdle I had to overcome was actually if I was *bulk ready* enough. I think I am after all.
Regretfully I was very disappointed reading about a growing shameful case over at Name and shame: ‘Pentax Ricoh Indonesia’ stole my image ? Ming Thein | Photographer

I must admit it affects my very positive opinion about Ricoh being the only serious company left nursing the photographers needs and I really question myself if I should throw my hard earned money in Richos direction.

A very shameful act that seems to be ignored by Ricoh so far. I am definitely going to await the outcome of this case before I pull the trigger.
Really ?