Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #1

Ricoh over the line?

I am a potential buyer of a Pentax 645Z and the bundle of lenses going for it. This would be my first attempt entering the DSLR MF world and I've been looking very much forward to become the owner of this dream camera. The only hurdle I had to overcome was actually if I was *bulk ready* enough. I think I am after all.
Regretfully I was very disappointed reading about a growing shameful case over at Name and shame: ‘Pentax Ricoh Indonesia’ stole my image ? Ming Thein | Photographer

I must admit it affects my very positive opinion about Ricoh being the only serious company left nursing the photographers needs and I really question myself if I should throw my hard earned money in Richos direction.

A very shameful act that seems to be ignored by Ricoh so far. I am definitely going to await the outcome of this case before I pull the trigger.

06-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's very lame but I'm more inclined to believe that it's a local branch issue instead of Ricoh as a whole. Even if "everything has to be sent back to headquarter for approval" as he said, that doesn't mean things won't fall through cracks.
06-17-2014, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Come 'on. To believe this was somehow sanctioned by Ricoh Pentax as a company is ridiculous. Most likely a local web developer that used a stolen image, knowingly or unknowingly. Obviously someone didn't due their due diligence and needs to be held accountable, but at this stage to hold the entire company responsible is pretty presumptuous. It'll be worth noting if Ricoh HQ fails to acknowledge and pay for the oversight once notified, until then I wouldn't go slamming them. It's not like they have a history of doing this.
06-17-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 645zdreamer Quote
I am definitely going to await the outcome of this case before I pull the trigger.
Is this a joke?

06-17-2014, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

LAME... No problem save up another $7000.00- $40,000.00 and get a Hasselblad or you could hold your breath and wait to see if Canon buys them.
06-17-2014, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is this a joke?
No, it's called "trolling." See the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread for more of the same...

I look forward to post #2 from 645Zdreamer which will show their new digital medium format body and lenses!
06-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To get the whole story read the entire post linked.

06-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To get the whole story read the entire post linked.
I did. Too much fake controversy and link-baiting for me. A photographer and blogger found a product image of his on a page within a Ricoh Indonesia website, used without permission. They pulled the image and apologised. End of story.
06-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did. Too much fake controversy and link-baiting for me. A photographer and blogger found a product image of his on a page within a Ricoh Indonesia website, used without permission. They pulled the image and apologised. End of story.
That was my point - and I'm not even sure whether the website is officially Ricoh Indonesia or a distributor or something else.

Whatever it is the OP dramatically moderates his tone in the last update.
06-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

hm.... certainly not right to do. But I believe it is a local branch doing this, and in Asia country in general, "copyright" concept isn't really strong to begin with.

But it is definitely your choice to boycott the company product for what they *did* not holding up to your believe.

.... at the same time, you might want to check all other company background of the products you own?.... and I hope you didn't have any apple product. :P

on the other hand, the best outcome here should be Ricoh Indonesia end up buying the pic, or the company responsible for the website management pay for it.
06-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

link-baiting
That describes it precisely. It is very likely the OP is the blogger and is wanting to be the next RiceHigh.

Steve
06-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

WTF does "bulk ready" mean?
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
WTF does "bulk ready" mean?
Too much bran?

Steve
06-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That describes it precisely. It is very likely the OP is the blogger and is wanting to be the next RiceHigh.

Steve
This is very unlikely. I read Ming Thein's blog regularly, its content is infinitely more serious that RH's stuff.
Ming Thein gives me the feeling that he is a very gifted and serious photographer. I don't think that he is the OP ( I would be very surprised).
I was a bit shocked to read that one of his image was stolen by a Ricoh representative.
06-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I like Ming Thein as a photographer, but he totally overreacted in this scenario. He lost a little bit of respect from me over this issue.

I'm just reading the comments on the article now, and Ming is coming off as a little boy who had one of his toys broken by another kid on the playground. The way he's trying to rally his fans against a company for his own little vendetta is disgusting. He gave a giant company only "the better part of a day" to come up with a response. Unrealistic. If after a couple of days there was no response, then it would have been more appropriate to go to war.

Thankfully there are others in the comments who had piped up and called Ming out on his childishness. Perhaps that's why he shut down the comments.

I won't be visiting his blog for a while.

EDIT:

I just realized the OP only has 1 post.

Ming, is that you? LOL

Kinda sad bro.

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 06-17-2014 at 01:04 PM.