Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
shouldn't be exploited to the fullest, in whatever way possible
I hope I'm not turning this into an off-topic marketing strategy debate, but in this case there is constrained supply for a short period of time for a product that has a relatively long life cycle, and if Ricoh is smart they will use this window to be picky about who they add to their distribution network. As you know, everyone is in business to advance their own interests, and conflict is part of the process. Ricoh being selective about who they sell to isn't good news for commissioned salespeople or retailers looking to pick up extra sales without tying up working capital, but unless those parties can go out and build a better camera themselves, their actions won't have much of a material effect on the success of the 645Z.
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
we are now firmly in the 21st century
I'm pretty old, and I would say that the biggest change in North America happened when trucks took over from trains to distribute consumer goods. Now I'm really getting off topic.

06-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Other than a third hand connection to a Pentax rep in Canada, I don't have any special knowledge of what going on at PRIAC, but to sell a hands on sophisticated product to hobbyists, enthusiasts and the self-employed, you need a consistent and positive presence at physical points of sale. That means brick and mortar dealers who stock most of your product line year round, year after year. That is the only successful long term strategy for dealers, distributors and manufacturers, but the temptation to go for the quick sale when the stars align favorably is very strong when you don't have much skin in the game. So you pursue and support only dealers who commit to providing the right kind of showcase for your products, and you don't let distributors whore your products, either. Whether you are upgrading your current Pentax MF system or looking at getting into it for the first time, it is not exactly an impulse purchase. Ricoh has time to leverage this high level of interest in the 645Z to develop a stronger dealer network globally. And it's a high margin product, that required a relatively modest capital investment to develop. There has to be a few product managers in Tokyo with big grins on their faces right now.
What you are describing is not at all what Ricoh (RIAC) has attempted to do in the USA. Ricoh has assiduously tried to rebuild the Dealer Network while simultaneously maintaining product throughput. James Malcolm has frankly been taken aback at how challenging the rebuilding process has been. They are making (slow) progress. The 645z has certainly attracted attention. I don't know what the Dealers are trying to do and I don't know what the supply limitations in North America are. Others on this Forum seem to have better insight right now.
06-24-2014, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to keep not knowing what I'm talking about from slowing me down.
06-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #19

My guy at B&H said

That they will not have a 645Z in-store camera for customers to see until sometime in late July. MAYBE!

06-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sceneeast Quote
That they will not have a 645Z in-store camera for customers to see until sometime in late July. MAYBE!
!!!!!!! Well, color me surprised.....
06-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Up here in Canada Henry's is taking pre-orders/

The detail is rather astonishing from the test images....

http://www.pdnonline.com/static/content_images/Pentax_Model_test_1.jpg

Someone should have warned her she needed to shave for this event....
The detail could be somewhat distressing if you're pixel peeping...

Last edited by normhead; 06-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.