Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

67ii AE Prism Diopter Zero? Focus issues :(

For some reason I am constantly front focusing my 67ii w/ AE Prism. I have 20/20 vision but it just occurred to me that maybe the diopter adjustment is not set correctly. Even when I measure off a distance and set the lens to the hash its not a perfect focus.

There are no marking to say what should be zero, so I tried to just measure off and set the hash mark for 3.5 feet. Then adjust the diopter to get better focus but it still does not look quite perfect and if I focus after to critical sharpness it does not match the hash marks. Has anyone run into this before? Is there another adjust i'm missing or is something broken? i'm 99% sure the film is on the right plane of focus and hitting the hash marks but my prism is not and i have no idea what else it could be.

06-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess "zero" would be when the diopter dial is in this position.

Phil.
Attached Images

06-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wondering if some how my focus screen is out of adjustment, it was an ex+ body from keh but then again, the camera I go before it was a train wreck with the same rating, seems I have the worst luck. I just did some locked off focus tests and they are in the wash now. Will see if it hits the spot i was aiming for if not, i will once again be returning a camera to KEH...
06-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It could be the height of the focusing screen.... or more rare, the lens mount face of the body was machined slightly off spec..

06-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
By the description it sounds like the focusing screen requires resetting to show correct focus at infinity. This is a common service for older 67 cameras. Dioptric correction is more profound in its need for people who do not have 20/20 vision, but even a small loss of acuity can sometimes have an effect.