Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,001
Adorama previews the 645Z with comparisons to D




06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
I really wish I knew who to talk to at pentax to convince then to let me shoot some demo videos for their cameras, and this one in particular. They are remarkably bad at promoting that side of things. There is a lot of interest in this feature, and they are squandering it by not putting something worthwhile to showcase it. Despite the poor job these guys did with dynamic range, it does look promising.
06-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,001
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I really wish I knew who to talk to at pentax to convince then to let me shoot some demo videos for their cameras, and this one in particular. They are remarkably bad at promoting that side of things. There is a lot of interest in this feature, and they are squandering it by not putting something worthwhile to showcase it. Despite the poor job these guys did with dynamic range, it does look promising.
Why not call or write to the Pentax USA offices in Denver and present a proposal. What can they say but no - either that or crickets (silence). Outline what you would like to do, and the equipment you would like them to provide. Possibly a paragraph or so on why they should select you (background/experience). If I remember correctly over in Singapore, the Pentax users group there, was loaned some new equipment when the K5 came out. They made a wonderful splash on all the users websites - a lot of positive feedback.A while back Pentax was arranging calls and talking to folks - as in ordinary every day users...

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-22-2014 at 03:28 PM.
06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Why not call or write to the Pentax USA offices in Denver and present a proposal. What can they say but no - either that or crickets (silence). Outline what you would like to do, and the equipment you would like them to provide. Possibly a paragraph or so on why they should select you (background/experience). If I remember correctly over in Singapore, the Pentax users group there, was loaned some new equipment when the K5 came out. They made a wonderful splash on all the users websites - a lot of positive feedback.A while back Pentax was arranging calls and talking to folks - as in ordinary every day users...
These are good ideas. I reached out to them once, under former management, but now would be a good time to do it again.

06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manteca, Ca.
Posts: 6
I ordered a 645Z last Friday and after watching this video and the comparison of the photographs between the D and Z I would have to say the color and warmer tone to the photos of the 645D were much more to my liking. A lot has been said about Pentax adding their look to this new sensor. Maybe they should have said "were adding our new look". After spending nearly $14,000.00 for camera and a couple of lenses I must say I'm a bit concerned.
06-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by raksland Quote
I ordered a 645Z last Friday and after watching this video and the comparison of the photographs between the D and Z I would have to say the color and warmer tone to the photos of the 645D were much more to my liking. A lot has been said about Pentax adding their look to this new sensor. Maybe they should have said "were adding our new look". After spending nearly $14,000.00 for camera and a couple of lenses I must say I'm a bit concerned.
I understand your concern, but I think you'll find it is misplaced. Those photos, and the video, were poorly shot. We know they used different ISO's - they may have also used different file settings. Something could also have changed in the environment - perhaps the sun came out from behind the clouds. Warmer / cooler tones are certainly easy to change to your preference.
06-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,001
Original Poster
When I was watching the video, especially the side by side comparison to a degree - it reminded me of my last trip up to the Grand Canyon. I started shooting with my K5 in the late afternoon and went through all 3 of my batteries in 80 frames (the mirror motor ended up needing replacing). So, after driving 3.5 hours one way, I remembered I had brought along my old K100 and Q at the last minute. I took the next 2 hours shooting with them. The difference between the K100's CCD and the K5's CMOS (discounting the difference in resolution) - just the rendering characteristics and the color along with its saturation - I though I saw the same general difference in the 645 D vs Z comparison.

Until there are some additional D to Z comparisons - I would think the older *ist / K100 / K10 / K200 to the K5 based family bodies are probably the best basis for possibly what may be observed in the current time frame. The Z's release is not that far away.

Not that the 645 matters that much to me - since I really do not see that body in my future. If I spent $14K going into retirement - my wife would bludgeon me to death with it.

06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manteca, Ca.
Posts: 6
I would agree with your earlier post, they should have let you make the video. If you are going to show off your newest product, it should look as good as the product it is replacing. I can take into consideration that light changes and maybe they were shot at different settings. However, Pentax should have made sure this video was giving them a true representation of their camera. I'm not saying they should interfere to the point of making it look good no matter what, but they should have competent people doing the testing. This was not a flattering video for Pentax. We can all "season to taste" but at least measure the seasoning and use the same amount. I'm sure I will be satisfied with my new camera, if I'm not, I will never tell my wife.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, 645z with comparisons, adorama previews, camera, medium format, previews the 645z
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 645Z Q&A with Ricoh Imaging JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 24 04-14-2014 11:43 PM
645Z with HD video? derekkite Pentax News and Rumors 20 04-12-2014 05:03 AM
My Recent Experience With Adorama Dropping The Ball littledrawe Photographic Industry and Professionals 16 07-03-2013 09:51 PM
Pentax 645 25mm DA vs. D FA --any comparisons? Ryan Tischer Pentax Medium Format 10 08-18-2012 12:59 PM
Anyone else dislikes the comparisons of the K-7 to the D5000/T1i or D300/50D even? NothingInCommon Pentax News and Rumors 60 06-15-2009 11:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top