Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama previews the 645Z with comparisons to D

06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really wish I knew who to talk to at pentax to convince then to let me shoot some demo videos for their cameras, and this one in particular. They are remarkably bad at promoting that side of things. There is a lot of interest in this feature, and they are squandering it by not putting something worthwhile to showcase it. Despite the poor job these guys did with dynamic range, it does look promising.
06-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I really wish I knew who to talk to at pentax to convince then to let me shoot some demo videos for their cameras, and this one in particular. They are remarkably bad at promoting that side of things. There is a lot of interest in this feature, and they are squandering it by not putting something worthwhile to showcase it. Despite the poor job these guys did with dynamic range, it does look promising.
Why not call or write to the Pentax USA offices in Denver and present a proposal. What can they say but no - either that or crickets (silence). Outline what you would like to do, and the equipment you would like them to provide. Possibly a paragraph or so on why they should select you (background/experience). If I remember correctly over in Singapore, the Pentax users group there, was loaned some new equipment when the K5 came out. They made a wonderful splash on all the users websites - a lot of positive feedback.A while back Pentax was arranging calls and talking to folks - as in ordinary every day users...

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-22-2014 at 03:28 PM.
06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Why not call or write to the Pentax USA offices in Denver and present a proposal. What can they say but no - either that or crickets (silence). Outline what you would like to do, and the equipment you would like them to provide. Possibly a paragraph or so on why they should select you (background/experience). If I remember correctly over in Singapore, the Pentax users group there, was loaned some new equipment when the K5 came out. They made a wonderful splash on all the users websites - a lot of positive feedback.A while back Pentax was arranging calls and talking to folks - as in ordinary every day users...
These are good ideas. I reached out to them once, under former management, but now would be a good time to do it again.

06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered a 645Z last Friday and after watching this video and the comparison of the photographs between the D and Z I would have to say the color and warmer tone to the photos of the 645D were much more to my liking. A lot has been said about Pentax adding their look to this new sensor. Maybe they should have said "were adding our new look". After spending nearly $14,000.00 for camera and a couple of lenses I must say I'm a bit concerned.
06-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raksland Quote
I ordered a 645Z last Friday and after watching this video and the comparison of the photographs between the D and Z I would have to say the color and warmer tone to the photos of the 645D were much more to my liking. A lot has been said about Pentax adding their look to this new sensor. Maybe they should have said "were adding our new look". After spending nearly $14,000.00 for camera and a couple of lenses I must say I'm a bit concerned.
I understand your concern, but I think you'll find it is misplaced. Those photos, and the video, were poorly shot. We know they used different ISO's - they may have also used different file settings. Something could also have changed in the environment - perhaps the sun came out from behind the clouds. Warmer / cooler tones are certainly easy to change to your preference.
06-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I was watching the video, especially the side by side comparison to a degree - it reminded me of my last trip up to the Grand Canyon. I started shooting with my K5 in the late afternoon and went through all 3 of my batteries in 80 frames (the mirror motor ended up needing replacing). So, after driving 3.5 hours one way, I remembered I had brought along my old K100 and Q at the last minute. I took the next 2 hours shooting with them. The difference between the K100's CCD and the K5's CMOS (discounting the difference in resolution) - just the rendering characteristics and the color along with its saturation - I though I saw the same general difference in the 645 D vs Z comparison.

Until there are some additional D to Z comparisons - I would think the older *ist / K100 / K10 / K200 to the K5 based family bodies are probably the best basis for possibly what may be observed in the current time frame. The Z's release is not that far away.

Not that the 645 matters that much to me - since I really do not see that body in my future. If I spent $14K going into retirement - my wife would bludgeon me to death with it.

06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I would agree with your earlier post, they should have let you make the video. If you are going to show off your newest product, it should look as good as the product it is replacing. I can take into consideration that light changes and maybe they were shot at different settings. However, Pentax should have made sure this video was giving them a true representation of their camera. I'm not saying they should interfere to the point of making it look good no matter what, but they should have competent people doing the testing. This was not a flattering video for Pentax. We can all "season to taste" but at least measure the seasoning and use the same amount. I'm sure I will be satisfied with my new camera, if I'm not, I will never tell my wife.