Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

25 D-FA versus 25DA

Dear all, I have the chance to choose between both lenses.

I understand from previous searches about the issues of the 25 D-FA and 25DA. I see that each has its own set of weaknesses.

I understand both have a lot of CA in bright light but the D-FA version has quite an excess of CA and the newer modified 25mm with its longer hood, has somewhat less CA.

Yet for I understand the DA version seems to flair more when sun is near edge of frame or inside of it. I am not sure whether owners of the DA can advice how often they see flare?

The D-FA is only available in JP with warranty and is cheaper by 1000 USD approximately. CA can be corrected in LR or PS. Hence I am leaning towards the cost savings as flare is tough to get rid off.

Has anyone owned both copies and if so, which one did you keep and why?

06-24-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have both copies, just the D-FA that I purchased used from someone on this forum. I've never really found the CA's to be a problem, especially if you turn on the lens correction (though on the 645D this does add to the delay before the image can be viewed. I can't offer a comparison, but personally I don't regret getting the D-FA and would not trade it for the DA. If Pentax ever comes out with a sensor larger than 33x44 the D-FA won't have vignetting and will offer an even wider angle of view. It also allows you to put more filters in front of the camera (I've devised my own GND filter holder) without vignetting.
06-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the DA - would have preferred the D-FA but I've ended up with brand new DA for second half price when the used lens I bought from Ffordes went faulty. I find it sharp except right at the edges but this is only visibly soft when pixel peeping. There is some flare when shooting into the light, but most Ultra wide angle lenses will have this issue. CA is there but I usually find it fairly easy to get rid of in post in Lightroom.
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I don't have both copies, just the D-FA that I purchased used from someone on this forum. I've never really found the CA's to be a problem, especially if you turn on the lens correction (though on the 645D this does add to the delay before the image can be viewed. I can't offer a comparison, but personally I don't regret getting the D-FA and would not trade it for the DA. If Pentax ever comes out with a sensor larger than 33x44 the D-FA won't have vignetting and will offer an even wider angle of view. It also allows you to put more filters in front of the camera (I've devised my own GND filter holder) without vignetting.
Ryan, noted. Will try the lens correction on the 645Z when it comes.

When you mean right at the edges, can it be due to F stop?

07-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #5

Hi Ryan, do you have detail on how you designed your filter to fit your 25mm D-FA
cheers john
07-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought an extra Cokin Z filter holder and turned it backwards, removing the three slots that are held in place by screws. Then I cut up a rubber PVC joint (made of rubber, not PVC) using a box cutter. Then filled the gap between the filter holder screws that stick out and the rubber joint with window/door weather seal. The rubber joint slides quite nicely onto the permanent lens shade on the D-FA 25mm and holds decently...though I almost lost it during high winds in Bryce Canyon a few years back. I used Velcro to secure the filter holder to the rubber piece, in case I ever decide to modify it or use it somewhere else.

There was another post on this forum about three years ago that showed someone else making a similar filter holder, only they used hot glue and plastic parts, instead of rubber. I sort of copied their design only I decided that I'd rather have something that is flexible and won't break if it gets knocked around in my camera bag...hence the rubber and Velcro. Hope this helps!

07-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
wouldn't it be easier to get a 40.5MM ND filter from B+W or Heliopan to work?

07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
It needs to be a thin type. I had some issues getting hold of ND filters because of this. Would love a 6 or ten stop for my DA 25....
07-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the Circular Polarizer that came with the lens and also picked up an ND filter in the 40.5, but that won't work for graduated neutral density filters, which are large and square or rectangular.
07-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

I bought an extra Cokin Z filter holder and turned it backwards, removing the three slots that are held in place by screws. Then I cut up a rubber PVC joint (made of rubber, not PVC) using a box cutter. Then filled the gap between the filter holder screws that stick out and the rubber joint with window/door weather seal. The rubber joint slides quite nicely onto the permanent lens shade on the D-FA 25mm and holds decently...though I almost lost it during high winds in Bryce Canyon a few years back. I used Velcro to secure the filter holder to the rubber piece, in case I ever decide to modify it or use it somewhere else.

There was another post on this forum about three years ago that showed someone else making a similar filter holder, only they used hot glue and plastic parts, instead of rubber. I sort of copied their design only I decided that I'd rather have something that is flexible and won't break if it gets knocked around in my camera bag...hence the rubber and Velcro. Hope this helps!

Many thanks for your reply Ryan and the pics…cheers john
07-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have the Circular Polarizer that came with the lens and also picked up an ND filter in the 40.5, but that won't work for graduated neutral density filters, which are large and square or rectangular.
Ah thank makes sense. I was thinking if you wanted to do it. Should just get a 100mm glass and put over it to cover. I know it's lazy but some have done so in such situations.
07-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dear all, I have the chance to choose between both lenses.

I understand from previous searches about the issues of the 25 D-FA and 25DA. I see that each has its own set of weaknesses.

I understand both have a lot of CA in bright light but the D-FA version has quite an excess of CA and the newer modified 25mm with its longer hood, has somewhat less CA.

Yet for I understand the DA version seems to flair more when sun is near edge of frame or inside of it. I am not sure whether owners of the DA can advice how often they see flare?

The D-FA is only available in JP with warranty and is cheaper by 1000 USD approximately. CA can be corrected in LR or PS. Hence I am leaning towards the cost savings as flare is tough to get rid off.

Has anyone owned both copies and if so, which one did you keep and why?
replying to the OP, I have the D-FA version and i just don't find CA to be a problem, at least nothing that isn't easily managed in ACR. I haven't tried the short hood version, but understand both versions to be identical except for the hood dimensions, no?