Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
25 D-FA versus 25DA

Dear all, I have the chance to choose between both lenses.

I understand from previous searches about the issues of the 25 D-FA and 25DA. I see that each has its own set of weaknesses.

I understand both have a lot of CA in bright light but the D-FA version has quite an excess of CA and the newer modified 25mm with its longer hood, has somewhat less CA.

Yet for I understand the DA version seems to flair more when sun is near edge of frame or inside of it. I am not sure whether owners of the DA can advice how often they see flare?

The D-FA is only available in JP with warranty and is cheaper by 1000 USD approximately. CA can be corrected in LR or PS. Hence I am leaning towards the cost savings as flare is tough to get rid off.

Has anyone owned both copies and if so, which one did you keep and why?

06-24-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 434
I don't have both copies, just the D-FA that I purchased used from someone on this forum. I've never really found the CA's to be a problem, especially if you turn on the lens correction (though on the 645D this does add to the delay before the image can be viewed. I can't offer a comparison, but personally I don't regret getting the D-FA and would not trade it for the DA. If Pentax ever comes out with a sensor larger than 33x44 the D-FA won't have vignetting and will offer an even wider angle of view. It also allows you to put more filters in front of the camera (I've devised my own GND filter holder) without vignetting.
06-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
I have the DA - would have preferred the D-FA but I've ended up with brand new DA for second half price when the used lens I bought from Ffordes went faulty. I find it sharp except right at the edges but this is only visibly soft when pixel peeping. There is some flare when shooting into the light, but most Ultra wide angle lenses will have this issue. CA is there but I usually find it fairly easy to get rid of in post in Lightroom.
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I don't have both copies, just the D-FA that I purchased used from someone on this forum. I've never really found the CA's to be a problem, especially if you turn on the lens correction (though on the 645D this does add to the delay before the image can be viewed. I can't offer a comparison, but personally I don't regret getting the D-FA and would not trade it for the DA. If Pentax ever comes out with a sensor larger than 33x44 the D-FA won't have vignetting and will offer an even wider angle of view. It also allows you to put more filters in front of the camera (I've devised my own GND filter holder) without vignetting.
Ryan, noted. Will try the lens correction on the 645Z when it comes.

When you mean right at the edges, can it be due to F stop?

07-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Antrim
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I don't have both copies, just the D-FA that I purchased used from someone on this forum. I've never really found the CA's to be a problem, especially if you turn on the lens correction (though on the 645D this does add to the delay before the image can be viewed. I can't offer a comparison, but personally I don't regret getting the D-FA and would not trade it for the DA. If Pentax ever comes out with a sensor larger than 33x44 the D-FA won't have vignetting and will offer an even wider angle of view. It also allows you to put more filters in front of the camera (I've devised my own GND filter holder) without vignetting.
Hi Ryan, do you have detail on how you designed your filter to fit your 25mm D-FA
cheers john
07-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 434
I bought an extra Cokin Z filter holder and turned it backwards, removing the three slots that are held in place by screws. Then I cut up a rubber PVC joint (made of rubber, not PVC) using a box cutter. Then filled the gap between the filter holder screws that stick out and the rubber joint with window/door weather seal. The rubber joint slides quite nicely onto the permanent lens shade on the D-FA 25mm and holds decently...though I almost lost it during high winds in Bryce Canyon a few years back. I used Velcro to secure the filter holder to the rubber piece, in case I ever decide to modify it or use it somewhere else.


There was another post on this forum about three years ago that showed someone else making a similar filter holder, only they used hot glue and plastic parts, instead of rubber. I sort of copied their design only I decided that I'd rather have something that is flexible and won't break if it gets knocked around in my camera bag...hence the rubber and Velcro. Hope this helps!












07-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Original Poster
wouldn't it be easier to get a 40.5MM ND filter from B+W or Heliopan to work?
07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
wouldn't it be easier to get a 40.5MM ND filter from B+W or Heliopan to work?
It needs to be a thin type. I had some issues getting hold of ND filters because of this. Would love a 6 or ten stop for my DA 25....

07-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 434
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
wouldn't it be easier to get a 40.5MM ND filter from B+W or Heliopan to work?

I have the Circular Polarizer that came with the lens and also picked up an ND filter in the 40.5, but that won't work for graduated neutral density filters, which are large and square or rectangular.
07-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Antrim
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I bought an extra Cokin Z filter holder and turned it backwards, removing the three slots that are held in place by screws. Then I cut up a rubber PVC joint (made of rubber, not PVC) using a box cutter. Then filled the gap between the filter holder screws that stick out and the rubber joint with window/door weather seal. The rubber joint slides quite nicely onto the permanent lens shade on the D-FA 25mm and holds decently...though I almost lost it during high winds in Bryce Canyon a few years back. I used Velcro to secure the filter holder to the rubber piece, in case I ever decide to modify it or use it somewhere else.


There was another post on this forum about three years ago that showed someone else making a similar filter holder, only they used hot glue and plastic parts, instead of rubber. I sort of copied their design only I decided that I'd rather have something that is flexible and won't break if it gets knocked around in my camera bag...hence the rubber and Velcro. Hope this helps!











Many thanks for your reply Ryan and the pics…cheers john
07-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Forum Member
jonojono's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I have the Circular Polarizer that came with the lens and also picked up an ND filter in the 40.5, but that won't work for graduated neutral density filters, which are large and square or rectangular.
Ah thank makes sense. I was thinking if you wanted to do it. Should just get a 100mm glass and put over it to cover. I know it's lazy but some have done so in such situations.
07-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,536
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
Dear all, I have the chance to choose between both lenses.

I understand from previous searches about the issues of the 25 D-FA and 25DA. I see that each has its own set of weaknesses.

I understand both have a lot of CA in bright light but the D-FA version has quite an excess of CA and the newer modified 25mm with its longer hood, has somewhat less CA.

Yet for I understand the DA version seems to flair more when sun is near edge of frame or inside of it. I am not sure whether owners of the DA can advice how often they see flare?

The D-FA is only available in JP with warranty and is cheaper by 1000 USD approximately. CA can be corrected in LR or PS. Hence I am leaning towards the cost savings as flare is tough to get rid off.

Has anyone owned both copies and if so, which one did you keep and why?
replying to the OP, I have the D-FA version and i just don't find CA to be a problem, at least nothing that isn't easily managed in ACR. I haven't tried the short hood version, but understand both versions to be identical except for the hood dimensions, no?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, d-fa, da, flare, medium format, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro, F, FA, D-FA, D-FA wr rwingsfan Sold Items 2 04-28-2014 01:23 PM
Hard decision on 25DA or Sony A7r + Canon 17TSE 2351HD Pentax Medium Format 7 01-18-2014 10:41 AM
Fa 35mm 2.0 versus Fa 43mm 1.9 limited Ric Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 04-01-2012 09:44 PM
Short comparaison 100mm Macro D-FA vs NEW D-FA WR fourmiX Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 03-12-2010 09:48 PM
M 100 f4 versus D FA 100 f2.8?? rdrum76 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-27-2008 10:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top