06-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

645z ISO shots by MT

Shots by Ming Thein

Low ISO

High ISO

06-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The same Ming Thein that has been b1tching about Pentax stealing his images?

If these are 100% crops, they are impressive.
06-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They did steal his images though. Shaming Ricoh Indonesia was the right action on his part. Being from Indonesia I know the thoughtlessness that often goes in people's heads when they steal images for websites, and I think the whole thing ended very well for both sides.

The ISO 25k is impressive. Ming is a great photographer and him endorsing the 645 over Nikon D800 will be good press He's a huge fan of the Ricoh GR already
06-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
They did steal his images though. Shaming Ricoh Indonesia was the right action on his part. Being from Indonesia I know the thoughtlessness that often goes in people's heads when they steal images for websites, and I think the whole thing ended very well for both sides.

The ISO 25k is impressive. Ming is a great photographer and him endorsing the 645 over Nikon D800 will be good press He's a huge fan of the Ricoh GR already
Then let me get added to his despicable list by stealing his image...

Looks to me like at 6400 ISO it's about what I'd expect from 800- ISO on my K-5. That's awesome. Not until 25k ISO does it get to the point where I'd say "OK I probably won't ever use that."

06-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote

Well someone did whether them or someone acting on their commission. It was the way he gave them insufficient time to do anything about it before throwing his toys out of the pram that got me. Image theft goes on everywhere, but Asia seems to have a particularly relaxed view of piracy. I work a lot in Korea and music and video piracy is fairly high - not as high as in China, but high enough.
06-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Well someone did whether them or someone acting on their commission. It was the way he gave them insufficient time to do anything about it before throwing his toys out of the pram that got me. Image theft goes on everywhere, but Asia seems to have a particularly relaxed view of piracy. I work a lot in Korea and music and video piracy is fairly high - not as high as in China, but high enough.
Yeah I agree that the "mobilize all my forces" move wasnt very nice of him, I also find it sounds rather arrogant. But as you know as someone working in Asia, they are overly lax about image copyright. Unless he enticed an "oh shit" reaction, they're never going to learn. The initial response of the Indonesian branch was basically "Sorry just doing my job," very typical for Indonesians. I was actually surprised that an apology was uttered at all, lol. So all in all I think he did the right thing, and with the right intentions, just maybe I wouldn't word it the same way he did.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
06-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

The same Ming Thein that has been b1tching about Pentax stealing his images?

If these are 100% crops, they are impressive.
Are you condoning theft?

06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hakusan Quote
Are you condoning theft?
Of course not! But there is a right and a wrong way of expecting people to do something about it. For instance expecting Ricoh Pentax in Japan do do something inside 3 hours or using bullying tactics to get a result. Of course he should have objected, but there is a right and a wrong way of doing things. In these circumstances, the accused have to act with due diligence and due expediency. Expecting the parent company to do a full investigation inside a few hours is more than a little unreasonable.
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Far more import to me than the noise at high ISO is the dynamic range at that those ISO's. Most cameras start capturing few stops of light at ISO6400+. Now I'm not talking about engineering DR with a SNR of 1:1 but the more usable stops which is even less. What this new MFD CMOS sensor is suppose to give is way more DR at the higher ISO. Now that sparks my interest and would like see those numbers.
06-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

Of course not! But there is a right and a wrong way of expecting people to do something about it. For instance expecting Ricoh Pentax in Japan do do something inside 3 hours or using bullying tactics to get a result. Of course he should have objected, but there is a right and a wrong way of doing things. In these circumstances, the accused have to act with due diligence and due expediency. Expecting the parent company to do a full investigation inside a few hours is more than a little unreasonable.
Well, perhaps he is human and was really surprised his image was stolen by a company that should have known better. Sure, he could have handled it better. But he didn't. And I really am unsure that the photographic community that seems to be throwing stones would not have sinned in his place.

I wonder the worse sin, freaking out over the theft of your images or a photographic company stealing the work in the first place. As far as I know, only freaking out is not a crime.
06-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fair use. Under US copyright law, you can use someone's work without their permission for a number of reason. And critique/criticism is one of them. New's organizations do that all the time.
06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I ever happen to find that someone has stolen one of my images, I will want it to be corrected immediately, not after their corporate parent has had time to conduct a full investigation. The investigation is not necessary - a quick conversation can reveal whether an image was licensed.
06-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

OnT: Wow, I would say iso 6400 is very usefull without much tought about it at a Very large print size. Iso 25000 without a problem on small prints or web. Sence those are 100% crops and the image is 50 mp...

OffT: I hade some of my images published on a local news paper. I had given them permission to post a selected few of them that I chose. They put all of them up there. I seldom get angry. And I can count the times on one hand. But that got me realy angry. They where gone 10 minutes after I sent them a e mail.
Get angry gets things done. To bad I dont like to be angry.
06-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I bought my *ist, they had a folder of images from each camera, (that's the kind of camera store I like) and the *ist images were pretty bad. I went home set up a make shift studio, took some standard product type images and a few macros and brought them back. They looked at my images took out the ones from their binder and put mine in. They didn't pay me for them, but I got a huge welcome whenever I came in the store.

At least once some of the customers were looking really hard at me, thinking maybe I was someone they should recognize. " Nothing to see here folks, anonymous High School teacher from Toronto here."

Last edited by normhead; 06-25-2014 at 04:36 AM.