Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Building a 645z kit

Well I almost pulled the plug on a 645D last round but opted out due to finances and my own lack of interest in the field. However, after seeing the 645z announcement, I've decided to bite the bullet and jump on the MF bandwagon this round.

And so... this brings me to the wonderful world of MF optics. And more importantly, what options I have in terms of vintage glass as I've built quite a collection of wonderful lenses over the years.

Which brings me to my first question.
What is the state of the vintage glass collection on the market with regards to the 645z and what should I expect from this?

My next question is, whether or not it's worth pushing to use MF as a landscape camera OR would that be counterproductive given size and performance? And if so, what lenses would be most suited for this type of work?

Thanks in advance for all your help with this.

06-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
My next question is, whether or not it's worth pushing to use MF as a landscape camera OR would that be counterproductive given size and performance? And if so, what lenses would be most suited for this type of work?
Landscape is the 645Z's domain, assuming you always travel with a tripod

I'd start with the 55mm kit lens, which is very good all-around. Of course the 25mm would be ideal for landscapes, but if you can't afford it, the A and FA 35mm lenses also work well.

Other great lenses include the A 120mm macro, which is a joy to use.

The user reviews should give you some insight into which lenses are the best:
Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The problem with the 25mm lens is that it weights as much as a long telephoto for 35mm. So the system is increasingly for landscape shooters with a) sherpas or b) shoots exvclusively close to the car. The older lenses are much lighter though.....
06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IIRC, the Popular Photography reviewer was able to hand hold the 645 without problem. It's got SR and WR, too.

You can start to fund your lenses by selling your P&S, then!

06-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the market reacts the same as it did when the 645D came out, then you should see a significant spike in pricing for all of the A and FA lens on the used market. When I bought my 645D, I had no problem getting the 75mm, 120 Macro and the 200mm, all of which could easily be found either on eBay and KEH.com. My 200 had a focusing problem, but KEH repaired it at no cost (other than shipping).
The problem lens was the FA 35mm. Prices for it now are around $800-$900 depending on condition, whether it comes with all caps and the hood and any other items such as a lens case. However, when I trying to purchase one through eBay, I couldn't seem to win an auction with the lens selling anywhere from $1,400 - $1,600. I finally found one with a "buy it now" option for $1300 with all caps, hood and a padded case.
I suggest buying your lenses now before the prices spike and the availability drops.
06-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With 25mm, 55mm, 90mm, 150mm and 300mm you can basicly cover anything. Also worthwhile picking up is the 80-160mm lens.
06-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hi, if you love landscapes like I do. Consider the 25F4, 35A (manual version). Note for the 25F4, that the filter is internal. So you might need to source for the Heliopan 40.5mm NDs for it work well.

If you want macro, I suggest the 120 F4 over the 90 F2.8. 1:1 marco is better.

The 645z can come with kit so the 55 F2.8 could be useful for portraits and some street photography. I have the 300 F4 for telephoto stuff when I need it.