Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #16

Comparatively few people actually have the 645Z yet, and I imagine of those who do the ones interested & able to do a good review probably can be counted on the fingers of one or two hands right now. Doing a review of a camera like this involves a lot more effort than reviewing the latest incremental update of some P&S model. People who want the 645Z reviewed likely want a lot of meat on the bones, and putting out something half-baked will only earn a lot of criticisms of any inaccuracies, or complaints of "why didn't you cover this or that". Very few photographers can pay their bills writing lengthy reviews, so my advice is to be patient and let the info work its way out. I'm impressed Ming Thein has put out so much info already, truth be told.

I'm nobody in particular but I'll have something to say about the camera myself, mainly from the viewpoint of landscape & travel type work. But since I don't even have a date when I'm getting mine and it will be one of the first ones sold over the counter in Western Canada, it's going to take some time. I just got back from 3 weeks in Iceland and tried very hard to get a 645Z to take with me on that trip. That would have made one heck of a field test! But there was no way.

I learned today that what may be the first production 645Z to hit Canada has been in the hands of some reviewers just for a few days, and they're working on something. After that I believe the camera is coming to my local dealer as their demo unit. Which is why I haven't been able to set my hands on it yet, let alone have delivery of my very own Z...

07-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

The Canadian reviewers tend to provide personal impressions, not the technically slanted and lab chart filled reviews that other sites provide. I prefer the impressionistic reviews from writers I trust but many prefer "objective" data.
07-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Great,

I will be especially interested in the focusing of the 35mm A also to see if its comparable to the 25mm D-FA. Also dynamic range capabilities.

Tom
Tom I will be happy to let you know when I am done with it. Should be today or tomorrow. Regarding a showdown between the 35A and 25 DFA, central sharpness, focusing, etc I much prefer on the D-FA. However the 25 does have CA and is slightly prone to flare.
07-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #19

I'm sure that there will be many different reviews. That Canadian Z is probably with either The Camera Store or Nick Devlin/Michael Reichman. Into stores tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to go pick up mine(and the 25DFA) Friday morning and miss the France/Germany game(6 hour drive). I wonder how many lenses I should drag with me?

07-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #20

I can't wait for my Canadian Z to arrive! I put myself on the list at The Camera Store before the camera was even announced, and I'm the first on the list at Henry's nationwide from what I've been told. Been holding my breath! Soon. Soon.

I'll be doing some tests with the 120mm A, 35mm A, 75mm A, as well as my Zeiss 110 f/2, Zeiss 80mm 2.8 C T*, and P67 105 2.4.

Also - even though it's a completely different tech/look/etc, I'll be comparing some shots with the 645NII + Portra 400 scanned on a Fuji SP3000 at the lab I own (Caribou Film Lab here in Toronto), as well as putting both through their paces at a couple weddings on July 11th + July 12th.
07-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #21

They are in Canadian stores today so ...
07-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #22

Fingers crossed for a phone call from The Camera Store, Real Soon Now.

07-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look in the comments, Ming had this to say about glass:

"Some of the Pentax lenses – the 25/55/90 SDMs specifically – are up to the level of the best Zeisses for Hassy V (40 IF, 50 FLE, 120 Makro) but the rest are best used stopped down."

07-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Hello everyone,

Luminous Landscape has a really nice (p)review about the 645z. They seem to really like it.

Here's the link:

Pentax 645Z First Impressions Review

Enjoy!
07-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #25

I think LL's review is kinda blah about the Z. My take is that they consider smaller and cheaper alternatives to the Z to be so close to it that they really don't see a major reason to purchase one. Unless you have money to spend. I have one but as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
07-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
I think LL's review is kinda blah about the Z. My take is that they consider smaller and cheaper alternatives to the Z to be so close to it that they really don't see a major reason to purchase one. Unless you have money to spend. I have one but as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
Did you just call yourself a fool for buying the z or am I just misunderstanding something?
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #27

that is generally the way it works …