Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

First 645Z review?

Ming Thein's review of 645Z with some DNGs:
Review: The Pentax 645Z, part I ? Ming Thein | Photographer

06-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

He claimed to be the first and it does seem like it. He got an impressive lineup to go with it... all DFA except the 75mm

Overall excellent impressions from Ming, that's a great thing He prints large all the time and would benefit largely from using the 645z. He said that it's a couple stops better than the D800 in DR too!

Only gripe from him really is the sync speed, which will be solved if pentax decides to release a leaf shutter one day!

The big deal for me in the review was that because of the tech put in it, it's forgiving and requires less discipline to shoot with than other MF cameras, and therefore won't be hard for DSLR-upgrades to use.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 06-27-2014 at 07:13 AM.
06-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LOL just about to post....been following Ming's blog for a long time....his reviews are quite good from a user's perspective...he also does classes which if one is in your area...you should try and sign up for one.
06-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Photos: Albums

this is why I root for Pentax - despite all the hardship, they still manage to surprise the industry.
resilient bunch. "big ups. much respect. mad love" (c)

06-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote

this is why I root for Pentax - despite all the hardship, they still manage to surprise the industry.
resilient bunch. "big ups. much respect. mad love" (c)
Oh yes, the 645z is just like the K10D, K-7, and K-3 imo, all cameras that moves the status quo ahead
06-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I find his statement that the 645z is like using a DSLR weird; the 645z IS a DSLR......
06-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I find his statement that the 645z is like using a DSLR weird; the 645z IS a DSLR......
You're misquoting him, Pal, he said "conventional DSLR".
06-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're misquoting him, Pal, he said "conventional DSLR".
I'm not
Quote:

"DSLR upgraders will shoot it without the benefit of context and not understand what the big fuss is about. I personally think this camera represents a significant step forward for medium format; it’s no longer as intimidating and the results can now compete with DSLRs under almost all conditions. Of course, high shot discipline and care will always pay off; those who have it will be rewarded with extraordinary image quality. Paradoxically, whilst most cameras benefit from being shot with the deliberation and care of medium format, this camera benefits from being shot like a DSLR – under such situations is where it’ll extend your image quality envelope enormously and bring previously unimaginable results."

I think he means it shoots like a 35mm camera.

He does say somewhere that it is weathersealed like a conventional DSLR

06-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not
Quote:

"DSLR upgraders will shoot it without the benefit of context and not understand what the big fuss is about. I personally think this camera represents a significant step forward for medium format; it’s no longer as intimidating and the results can now compete with DSLRs under almost all conditions. Of course, high shot discipline and care will always pay off; those who have it will be rewarded with extraordinary image quality. Paradoxically, whilst most cameras benefit from being shot with the deliberation and care of medium format, this camera benefits from being shot like a DSLR – under such situations is where it’ll extend your image quality envelope enormously and bring previously unimaginable results."

I think he means it shoots like a 35mm camera.

I think most of us knows what he means by DSLR, perhaps you can give him a nudge in the comment section He might correct the review.
06-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I think your memory is being very selective, and it's not apparent why.

He makes quite clear in the second paragraph how he intends to use the term in his article:

"This also means the body can be weather sealed to the same extent as the best conventional DSLRs, and in fact, the Z handles very much like one of those – albeit a very, very large one."

Your quote is long afterwards ... the final paragraph, in fact.

He does not seem to be confused to me. He elsewhere mentions FF35, APS-C and various species of MF.
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Part 2 of the review is released, the last few paragraphs is in particular is great food for thought as to the advantages of the different systems

Review: The Pentax 645Z, part II: compared to the 645D, Nikon D800E and Hasselblad CFV-39 ? Ming Thein | Photographer
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Why have we not seen more reviews or at least "first impressions"? Usually it seems like when a new cam is released, multiple sites throw up a preliminary hands-on look on the same day. So far with the Z, Ming's review is the only one I've seen.

Users have them in their hands, why not more reviews on the big sites out there? Just curious, I'm open to the possibility that I'm missing something obvious...
07-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Why have we not seen more reviews or at least "first impressions"? Usually it seems like when a new cam is released, multiple sites throw up a preliminary hands-on look on the same day. So far with the Z, Ming's review is the only one I've seen.

Users have them in their hands, why not more reviews on the big sites out there? Just curious, I'm open to the possibility that I'm missing something obvious...
I am doing one. Just that typing a lot in 2-3 days is like asking me to finish my thesis in a week. Hahaha.

Just what I am writing at the moment.

Overview of the 645Z

The Menu System, Ergonomics and Handling

ISO comparison: 100 to 204,800

Manual Focusing on the 645Z: Images with the 35A

Images with the 25 D-FA, 120 F4 Macro, 300 F4

Conclusion and After Thoughts

Coming Soon: Africa with the 645Z

Coming Soon: Comparison with the 645D

Last edited by jonojono; 07-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.
07-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Cool, I'll be looking for that.

I'm not looking for a half-assed unboxing or spec comparison, and I understand a good review takes time, I just would have thought that the bigger sites would have already had their review bodies for a week or two before the public sale date.
07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
I am doing one. Just that typing a lot in 2-3 days is like asking me to finish my thesis in a week. Hahaha.

Just what I am writing at the moment.

Overview of the 645Z

The Menu System, Ergonomics and Handling

ISO comparison: 100 to 204,800

Manual Focusing on the 645Z: Images with the 35A

Images with the 25 D-FA, 120 F4 Macro, 300 F4

Conclusion and After Thoughts

Coming Soon: Africa with the 645Z

Coming Soon: Comparison with the 645D

Great,

I will be especially interested in the focusing of the 35mm A also to see if its comparable to the 25mm D-FA. Also dynamic range capabilities.

Tom