Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flickr's jpeg output isn't the best, but it's reasonable for viewing. It's way better than if you uploaded to facebook though (even though facebook won't support such a large resolution anyways) :P

In loading the images (right click, view image), it takes a second or two for the browser to catch up with the displayed image. I suggest anyone looking at the files to let it load each time you switch to that image tab.

The noise looks great. Downscaled, it's invisible. At full size, it's better than my k-3 at 6400 ISO. The details are fantastic as I can make out the wood grain in the table even through the noise.

07-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #17

This is amazing... no comparison to what is possible with my 645D, or my GF's Nikon D600. This opens up the useful shooting envelope hugely, compared with the 645D. I took the Flickr jpg and downscaled it by 4- still a nice large shot, suitable for many smaller print formats, and very usable quality.

We've got a trip with Sierra Club to Antarctica reserved for Feb/March 2015, and considering all the other expense, I think a 645z is a "must have" for the toolkit, perhaps with the addition of the 90mm macro. I have a pretty good assortment of 67 and 645 primes that I'm happy with, and a few zooms and a couple of tilt-shifts.

Last edited by jonmarsh; 07-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.
07-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning shots!

Hard to believe that the images are coming from a "digital" camera.
07-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonmarsh Quote
We've got a trip with Sierra Club to Antarctica reserved for Feb/March 2015, and considering all the other expense, I think a 645z is a "must have" for the toolkit, perhaps with the addition of the 90mm macro. I have a pretty good assortment of 67 and 645 primes that I'm happy with, and a few zooms and a couple of tilt-shifts.
Hi Jon

This might seem provocative (and hopefully not too OT) but after guiding 15 trips to east & west Antarctica ( http://www.naturespic.com/NewZealand/result_country.asp?CountryID=Antarctica , I think you should consider taking NO camera. I watch people waste their hard won preciously short time down there trying to capture & record the place, instead of actually experiencing it.

Subjects are limited, time is short, there's sensory deprivation (colour, sound, smell etc), and little interest from anyone afterwards in what you've taken (because its outside their frame of reference), and commercially there's a massive oversupply of seldom needed imagery.

I could go on at length, but the person I saw get the most ever out of their time down there was an Israeli professional photographer that left every camera at home. The least satisfied would regularly be photographers that experience the place through their optics. While I'm not suggesting you're like this, I do see many people forsaking their experiential wealth for documentary brag material at home, which is a shame.

Anyway, I hope you have a fantastic trip and get the balance right. If I can be of help please sing out. Cheers, Rob

07-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #20

Thanks very much for the input from your experience- I don't consider it at all OT from my perspective! I understand your points regarding oversupply of imagery (no commercial interest on my part, just personal), (it's like the world of music, these days, which I used to make my living in). OTOH, I've had pretty fair results balancing this on some more "mundane" trips (though, personally, I don't consider hiking the Wainwright trail coast to coast "mundane", nor my excursions in the Czech republic or Austria (nothing in the rockies compares with the Alps, for example- and I lived in Colorado 18 years)- they just don't seem as exotic or inaccessible. My own method has been just looking for a few special places and opportunities, and in some cases just taking advantage of ones that fall in your lap but can't be planned (like a spectacular sunset in Telc, Czech Republic), or the aftermath of a storm on the East coast of England. I agree this desire to "document" everything around you can go totally overboard, like everyone with their phone camera's out for an event that as you allude would be better served by being in the moment...

Thanks very much for the links to your pictures-

Having shot with the 645D for a number of years and guided my GF through a succession of Nikons (brand loyalty on her part- we all develop our attachments, I suppose ) and seeing early results on the 645D, both here and at sites like Lloyd Chambers, the "z" could dramatically enlarge the useful shooting envelope- I was discussing that with GF with regards to the interior of one particular Cech castle we visited for which the high ISO performance of the Z would have been a god send.

Thanks again for your inputs!