Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
My first very unscientific few shots with Pentax 645Z

One or two shots with it without much time before leaving for the airport. Apparently mine is one of only 3 in the UK at the moment, and I only preordered a week ago, so I lucked out

Noise is non existent at ISO 400 and very well controlled even at 3200. I even pushed the shadows .55 of a stop and .65 overall wit minimal noise - unfortunately the shot missed focus so I binned it.

here are two one outdoors and one indoors both with FA35 ISO 100



ISO 400



06-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
The shots look amazing. So much detail in #1! So crisp, the picture looks alive! It's alive!!!
06-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
max_pyne's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 408
wow the indoor shot is amazing. did you tweak something or straight from camera? iw it is straight from camera im shocked how much you get out of such a simple situation... the colors and the dynamic range is amazing
06-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
I deliberately underexposed by a full stop to keep the shutter speed up. So recovered half a stop from shadows and increased exposure overall by half a stop.

Early days but I'm happy. I sold my normal D800 and my old 645D to soften the blow and it looks like my main camera is once more going to be medium format. Got £4400 for the 2 cameras plus 2 canon macro lenses I'm no longer using so only paid £2300 cash

06-27-2014, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,769
Thanks for posting those... your shots are certainly good enough to sell the camera, way better than the ones posted in the Ricoh FB page.
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
Thanks. Hopefully will be able to explore Marrakech a bit. Am 90 mins late leaving so suspect will miss twilight in the city which would have been great. Will be busy tomorrow night.
06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,769
For those of us with limited funds to spend, I'm wondering since you've used both D800 and 645D, do you have an opinion as to which to look at as a landscape body, to use in combination with a K-3 used for wildlife?
06-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
Congrats on the new gear!

At these web sizes, I don't think I could pick out these 645Z shots out of a pool of other well-taken pictures from a bunch of other cameras. But the 645D shots most always seem to have a unique property even at web sizes. But I'm sure we'll get a chance to see more in time to form a better understanding.

06-27-2014, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For those of us with limited funds to spend, I'm wondering since you've used both D800 and 645D, do you have an opinion as to which to look at as a landscape body, to use in combination with a K-3 used for wildlife?
Tough one. If I was asked which was my favourite out of the two for landscape I would say 645D every day of the week. The tonality is better in my view and I like having the 4 x 3 perspective without having to crop. The one thing that would make me go for the D800 and was probably the reason why I often used it more often than the 645D over the last year is practicality.

If you want to shoot really really wide the options are either to stitch multiple frames or to spend thousands on the DA 25 with the 645D. For DR, the D800 beats the 645D but not my a huge amount, you can still push a lot of detail from shadows.

If you are thinking about getting the 645D, it might be worth holding off until the release of D810. Either buy the D810 or grab a bargain d800/e as people rush to get the latest thing.

It's a close one for me between the two, but the Nikon is more practical and if you lose your tripod and have a shot you don't want to miss and you can get it with ISO 3200, Only one of the two cameras is going to be able to do that.

The Z has opened up things for me as the changes add practicality. I'm not a sprayer, but when handholding faster continuous shooting can help get more keepers in the sequence in my experience.

Both the Nikon and the 645D are incredible cameras, and the files just look better on the 645D than the D800's. Which is most important? having a set of useful focal length lenses - EG 16 - 35; 24 - 70; 70 - 200. The easiest way to get these is with 24 x 36 FF. It's really whether the 'look' of the files outweighs the practicality for you.

Hope that helps - it may ask more questions than it answers. If I could get the same levels of lenses with the 645D then I would never have got the Nikon. The longer glass for 645 is both slower and heavier.

Last edited by itshimitis; 06-27-2014 at 07:14 PM.
06-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,769
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Tough one. If I was asked which was my favourite out of the two for landscape I would say 645D every day of the week. The tonality is better in my view and I like having the 4 x 3 perspective without having to crop. The one thing that would make me go for the D800 and was probably the reason why I often used it more often than the 645D over the last year is practicality.

If you want to shoot really really wide the options are either to stitch multiple frames or to spend thousands on the DA 25 with the 645D. For DR, the D800 beats the 645D but not my a huge amount, you can still push a lot of detail from shadows.

If you are thinking about getting the 645D, it might be worth holding off until the release of D810. Either buy the D810 or grab a bargain d800/e as people rush to get the latest thing.

It's a close one for me between the two, but the Nikon is more practical and if you lose your tripod and have a shot you don't want to miss and you can get it with ISO 3200, Only one of the two cameras is going to be able to do that.

The Z has opened up things for me as the changes add practicality. I'm not a sprayer, but when handholding faster continuous shooting can help get more keepers in the sequence in my experience.

Both the Nikon and the 645D are incredible cameras, and the files just look better on the 645D than the D800's. Which is most important? having a set of useful focal length lenses - EG 16 - 35; 24 - 70; 70 - 200. The easiest way to get these is with 24 x 36 FF. It's really whether the 'look' of the files outweighs the practicality for you.

Hope that helps - it may ask more questions than it answers. If I could get the same levels of lenses with the 645D then I would never have got the Nikon. The longer glass for 645 is both slower and heavier.
Thanks , that's a great reply...
06-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
Has anyone tried the 33-55 with the 645z? I wonder if it is "good enough".
06-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Has anyone tried the 33-55 with the 645z? I wonder if it is "good enough".
I have one at home - haven't used it in a while as the Auto focus motor has gone faulty. Will try on manual focus when I get home.
07-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
Still haven't tried with the 33 - 55, but have shot with some of the lenses that are said to be 'less good' namely 55- 110 and the FA45.

Personally I think they are coming out ok. One area for concern is the 400 f/5.6 which I was getting some completely blank screen on 6 shots. fine on the others.

Last night with 55 - 110:



and today with the FA45 at f/4 (focus point on nearest eye

07-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
That is some fantastic images
07-12-2014, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,469
Original Poster
Here are some at ISO 12,800. Frankly I am amazed. noise is better controlled at this level than it was at 1600 on the D

I have left a link to full size jpeg and a shot each without and then after treatment with Dfine. Both handheld in a dimly lit pub with FA 75 f/2.8 have also increased exposure by 0.55 and shadows by 35 in LR5



Full size (though I have to say that flickr have made some changes as on my screen there was less noise than this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singingsnapper/14611582106/sizes/o/

with NR



full size

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singingsnapper/14634551945/sizes/o/
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flickr, iso, medium format, noise, shots, shots with pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc First few with my new Pentax K-30 vitya Post Your Photos! 3 09-29-2013 05:27 PM
Misc First shots with my first film SLR, Pentax MX and M 50 1.7 LeDave Post Your Photos! 6 10-06-2012 05:18 PM
Macro My first few shots with a DSLR camera Wihl Post Your Photos! 4 09-27-2010 09:49 PM
Streets My first Macro lens, the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Here are my 1st few shots with it! aaronius Post Your Photos! 4 04-30-2010 07:23 PM
Very, Very unscientific, but of interest Ed in GA Pentax DSLR Discussion 41 06-21-2008 12:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top