Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

645Z, first play date....

Picked my camera 645Z up yesterday, with the 55mm lens. Had a brief read of the manual and took it out for a walk with some older lenses. I believe the camera is essentially just a tool, I have a few for different subjects and styles, that said I like to mix it up. So why not get familiar with the controls by doing some street photography...

I have been getting hold of older lenses on eBay in anticipation of the camera arriving and took the A 35mm, A-135mm and FA 45-85mm along with the more modern D FA 55mm. I have a FA 80-160mm and an A 120mm to add to these.

This is by no means a scientific review, pixel peepers look away now, you know who you are. Some pictures are cropped and some post processing has been used.

I am already impressed with the older FA 45-85mm zoom and the D FA 55mm, the 35mm is clearly not a bad performer but will need careful focussing. I have already tried the live view for magnified focus checking and this is probably the way to go for the older manual lenses.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice! What is yout 1st impression of noise, do you have a max ISO that still suits you?
06-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
First impression is that ISO noise better than my canon 5d3. Cleans up nicely with Lightroom, also had a brief go with the OEM software for converting RAWS, a bit clunky for post prod, but gives a clean punchy result with very good noise and sharpness defaults.

One issue is that the older A lenses report half stop less aperture on digital read outs than set on lens? Set f5.6 on lens, get f4.5 reported on LCD.
06-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent images.

645Z for street. Who would have thought. Looks like my RX-100 will be out of a job soon

Was the 645Z heavy or awkward to use and lug about (especially with that set of lenses in the bag)?

06-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice set of images. Looking forward to seeing more.
06-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snapper99 Quote
Picked my camera 645Z up yesterday, with the 55mm lens. Had a brief read of the manual and took it out for a walk with some older lenses. I believe the camera is essentially just a tool, I have a few for different subjects and styles, that said I like to mix it up. So why not get familiar with the controls by doing some street photography...

I have been getting hold of older lenses on eBay in anticipation of the camera arriving and took the A 35mm, A-135mm and FA 45-85mm along with the more modern D FA 55mm. I have a FA 80-160mm and an A 120mm to add to these.

This is by no means a scientific review, pixel peepers look away now, you know who you are. Some pictures are cropped and some post processing has been used.

I am already impressed with the older FA 45-85mm zoom and the D FA 55mm, the 35mm is clearly not a bad performer but will need careful focussing. I have already tried the live view for magnified focus checking and this is probably the way to go for the older manual lenses.
Nice. Where did you get yours from? I got mine from SRS in Watford.
06-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

nice images.

06-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
Many thanks to the team at Park Cameras for my camera. Getting a lens from SRS and they seem great for service too.

I hasten to add it is not my intention to use the 645Z for street photography. I find that the hustle and bustle of using a camera in the street teaches me where to find all the controls in the least amount of time. It's my "training ground". The camera is capable of the photography but the size kind of negates the idea of candid. I was very surprised how quiet and smooth the mirror and shutter mech is. I can hand hold at unexpected low speeds 1/lens seems ok in many situations.
06-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice dynamic range, I can see into the shadows. Nice!
06-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great Images, Thanks for sharing. I assume the 35mm A lens is not recognised by the Exif Data at all due to being a manual Lens. Do you find this lens to be sufficiently wide for Landscapes etc etc? Also coming from a 5Dmk3 myself, Im expecting a significant jump in DR. what are your thoughts on this? I hear the Z is even a stop or so better thank Nikons D800e. Im in Australia and waiting for the first shipment of bodes to come in. I have also pre purchased second hand lenses on anticipation of the camera such as the 35mm A , 45-85 FA & the 120 FA Macro also, can't wait to try them. Any insights would be great. Tom
06-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snapper99 Quote

Awesome!
I didn't know the camera was out for sale yet.

How did the camera perform between shots?
Did you feel like you had to wait for the camera much?
How did it feel carrying the camera around?
How did you carry it? (strap around shoulder etc)
What card did you use?
Did it feel sufficient in terms of shots and write speeds?
What about battery life?
Did you use the rear screen at all?

Feels like I could go on forever here. (so many questions).
I'll just quit and wait my turn I guess.
06-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

In my experience there is much less lag after shots than with the D. To use a Kiwi term, The camera shutter sound is 'sweet as...'
06-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
In my experience there is much less lag after shots than with the D. To use a Kiwi term, The camera shutter sound is 'sweet as...'
Ming Thein found he could take another shot after one second, versus three for the D.
06-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Awesome!
I didn't know the camera was out for sale yet.

How did the camera perform between shots?
Did you feel like you had to wait for the camera much?
How did it feel carrying the camera around?
How did you carry it? (strap around shoulder etc)
What card did you use?
Did it feel sufficient in terms of shots and write speeds?
What about battery life?
Did you use the rear screen at all?

Feels like I could go on forever here. (so many questions).
I'll just quit and wait my turn I guess.
To sum up most of your questions it feels like the camera will be fast enough to not cause complaints. You wouldn't get it for sports, but you might want to get that one sports shot that differs from all the 10 frame a second sprayers...But then that's the half the point of medium format.

I did use the rear screen, and in fact would say this is one of the most important points for me. A simple thing like a screen I can look down on is a blessing for a lot of low level tripod photography. The screen does mark fairly easily, or it could be I have a really greasy nose?

Battery life, good so far, again, it doesn't feel that this is an issue for complaint. DR is great, much better than the Canons, but of course that will mean more post production to get the best out of the flatter images.

I used a SanDisk SDSDXPA-064G-X46 64 GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC Memory Card, to give it the full title. As a film user, cards seem cheap, so why not get the best, not worth any risks there.
06-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You can definitely see that the image quality is different to APS_C and "FF". The sweeping DOF is different for one thing and the 'POP" is obvious.