Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645Z Arrived - Post your questions here!

My 645Z just came in, and as I've tasked myself with the PF review of it, I'll probably be spending the whole weekend shooting with it.

Name:  645z.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  129.7 KB

If you have any questions about specific functions or requests for tests, please post them here.

The camera's firmware is almost identical to that of the K-3, but there are a few subtle differences, including a new "diffraction correction" option (which is rumored to be added to the K-3 via firmware later this month). Also, the main menu is context-sensitive: if you're in playback or live view, for example, the corresponding menu tab will open when you press the menu button, rather than whatever you were looking at last.

From an image quality standpoint the 645Z is no doubt as impressive as the 645D when it originally came out- not only in terms of the resolution, but also the dynamic range, which gives you a lot to work with.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0071e_s.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  266.8 KB

It's also nice that ACR already supports the 645Z's RAW files

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
would you use it in wedding shoot?
07-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know you'll be doing it already, but HIGH ISO shootout, with the size matched to a fullframe and to the K-3....
07-04-2014, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have any questions about specific functions or requests for tests, please post them here.
Will it blend?

07-04-2014, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I know you'll be doing it already, but HIGH ISO shootout, with the size matched to a fullframe and to the K-3....
That's something you can count on seeing. The 645Z is going to be a tough competitor for the D810 and K-3, I can tell you that already!

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
would you use it in wedding shoot?
Possibly for some portraits, but not weddings. I'll mostly be focusing on landscape and product photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Will it blend?
No- it would require a medium format blender! Normal ones won't cut it.
Attached Images

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a question.....

....do you love your job by any chance ?

07-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My 645Z just came in, and as I've tasked myself with the PF review of it, I'll probably be spending the whole weekend shooting with it.

Attachment 228655

The camera's firmware is almost identical to that of the K-3, but there are a few subtle differences, including a new "diffraction correction" option (which is rumored to be added to the K-3 via firmware later this month). Also, the main menu is context-sensitive: if you're in playback or live view, for example, the corresponding menu tab will open when you press the menu button, rather than whatever you were looking at last.

From an image quality standpoint the 645Z is no doubt as impressive as the 645D when it originally came out- not only in terms of the resolution, but also the dynamic range, which gives you a lot to work with.

Attachment 228643

It's also nice that ACR already supports the 645Z's RAW files
Questions.
* how is the autofocusing, it is meant to use the same system as the K3, in actual useage is it the same or?
* how quickly can you review an image after taking a shot, on the 645D it took a few seconds.
* with no in body or lense (with some exceptions) stabilisation how is hand holding to take a shot.
* how big are the raw files in general.
* how big are the jpeg files in general.
* if you have a Pentax flucard handy how long does it take to transfer an image.
* how many shots can you get out of a battery.

Have fun using the Z over the weekend

Cheers.

07-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dreamsong Quote
* how is the autofocusing, it is meant to use the same system as the K3, in actual useage is it the same or? * how quickly can you review an image after taking a shot, on the 645D it took a few seconds. * with no in body or lense (with some exceptions) stabilisation how is hand holding to take a shot. * how big are the raw files in general. * how big are the jpeg files in general. * if you have a Pentax flucard handy how long does it take to transfer an image. * how many shots can you get out of a battery.
I can answer all but the last question:

1. Compared to the K-3 with a 18-135mm, my first impression is that AF is fairly slow overall with the DA* 55mm, especially in live view (the lens motor is to blame). The viewfinder AF locks on very decisively, even when it's dark, but LV likes to hunt (unlike on the K-3). I will investigate this in more detail as I use the camera, but I don't really see much of a difference in terms of speed between this and the 645D. I think the reason the live view AF is a bit sluggish is that the CPU can't analyze the image as quickly as on the K-3, since there's more than twice as much sensor data. The biggest improvement by far is focusing in low light.

2. It depends on your memory card and what file format you're using. For RAW+ I had to wait several seconds with a Sandisk Extreme Pro card (95Mb/s). JPEGs aren't nearly as painless, as your image can show up almost instantly. Also, the camera has a fairly large buffer, so you can still shoot away as it writes to the card.

3. With the 55mm, it's pretty easy. There's no denying that the camera is quite heavy, but you can easily get sharp hand-helds, especially now that bumping the ISO is something you can comfortably do.

4. 55-85Mb

5. 20-30Mb

6. The wireless speed of the flucard is roughly 1.5Mb/s, so you're looking at 15+ seconds per JPEG.

Adam

07-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #9

Let's put things into perspective. This is just another camera. It is not revolutionary. The sensor is not much bigger than a "full-frame" sensor. It is not even close to being a true 645 size. It is the teething CMOS sensor. The camera offers not much more than most high end DSLRs. It is really a miss-mash. Want to shoot landscapes - get a tech camera. Want to shoot action - get a dslr. I would even go out on a limb and say if you want to shoot portraits, I would get a dslr/f1.4 lens or an MF camera with leaf shutters. To me, this is still misses in a few areas. Still getting one, however, because I'm basically a gear hound.
07-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #10

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply Adam.
07-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #11

Questions.
* how is the autofocusing, it is meant to use the same system as the K3, in actual useage is it the same or?
* how quickly can you review an image after taking a shot, on the 645D it took a few seconds.
* with no in body or lense (with some exceptions) stabilisation how is hand holding to take a shot.
* how big are the raw files in general.
* how big are the jpeg files in general.
* if you have a Pentax flucard handy how long does it take to transfer an image.
* how many shots can you get out of a battery.

Have fun using the Z over the weekend

Cheers.
Z is my first Pentax and autofocus has a huge lag at leasto on my 90mm D-FA.
Review is instant, I would say <1s. Focusing is bothering me more.
I am not able to produce pinsharp photos at ISO 100 handheld at the late afternoon.
My RAW files are 65MB, so 141 photos on 16 GB SD card.
Flucard is able to transfer XS jpeg in 8s.
07-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dgdb Quote
Z is my first Pentax and autofocus has a huge lag at leasto on my 90mm D-FA.
Review is instant, I would say <1s. Focusing is bothering me more.
I am not able to produce pinsharp photos at ISO 100 handheld at the late afternoon.
My RAW files are 65MB, so 141 photos on 16 GB SD card.
Flucard is able to transfer XS jpeg in 8s.
Interesting, thanks for the reply DGDB.
Regarding the focus, when you say it has a lag, do you mean it takes awhile to focus or nothing happens for alitte while when you half press the shutter?
Also sounds like I will need to get bigger SD cards if I pick up the Z.
07-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #13

Interesting, thanks for the reply DGDB.
Regarding the focus, when you say it has a lag, do you mean it takes awhile to focus or nothing happens for alitte while when you half press the shutter?
Also sounds like I will need to get bigger SD cards if I pick up the Z.
I would add that I am very unhappy with AF button position and size. It is not in the right place. But I hope I will get used to this. I really dont like focusing with shutterbutton and I always switch this off.
When I press AF button in a dimm room, nothing happens for 1-2s, then lens go all way up and down and 2-3s later maybe catch something. It is not everytime, but sometimes really catches me and I miss the shot.
Even if lens is in the position (I prefocus manually) than you need to wait for the confirmation (1-2s lag). I would not called this portrait camera (as Pentax did in they marketing ****). But I wanted to slow down, not to shoot too many shots, so I got what I wished for :-) I was not able to get 1 (one) sharp shot of my dog even sitting on a couch.
I am comming from D800E + 85/1.4 and IQ (sharpness, colors, depth) from Z is superb and it is worth the pain with AF. I hope AF is not bad due to slow chip so it could be improved later, but I am afraid this is not that case.
07-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #14

Having worked on it since the 645Z was announced, I have effectively strengthened my completely unnecessary purchase rationalization response ( CUPRR ) , sold a few pieces of kit it turns out I actually can live without, even began acquiring a few 645 lenses I will certainly need when I finally pull the trigger on purchasing the 645Z.
Now as the moment of truth is finally arriving, my CUPRR has been severely weakened by the news that B&H, Adorama, etc are all offering Brand New 645D bodies for $5,000
Which begs the question, is the 645Z worth a 45% premium over the 645D?
Thanks,
Bob
07-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by uintaangler Quote
Having worked on it since the 645Z was announced, I have effectively strengthened my completely unnecessary purchase rationalization response ( CUPRR ) , sold a few pieces of kit it turns out I actually can live without, even began acquiring a few 645 lenses I will certainly need when I finally pull the trigger on purchasing the 645Z.
Now as the moment of truth is finally arriving, my CUPRR has been severely weakened by the news that B&H, Adorama, etc are all offering Brand New 645D bodies for $5,000
Which begs the question, is the 645Z worth a 45% premium over the 645D?
Thanks,
Bob
Z can also take 50% more photos :-) (100000)
And you get many features (like speed) extra :-) CMOS chip is good, but I have no direct comparsion with CCD from D.
Maybe Adam or someone will clarify this.