Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FYI, this is a field camera...

Chamonix 045N-2 4x5 Field Camera.

The 645Z is a ruggedized medium format digital SLR that is very appropriate for use in the field, but it is not a field camera. (Sorry, could not resist.)

Field camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
techincally speaking the 645Z is a cropped 645 medium format camera.
I just decided to stick with the term used in the original post, not to add confusion

But point well taken

---------- Post added 07-28-2014 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I see your point. I have never had an evf or LCD have that happen.

As an acceptable trade off, how about an electronic hot shoe and an add on evf like what sony have, that would work.

Electronic focussing offers superior accuracy every time plus superior framing and digital overlays. You can bump the gain in low light and zoom in to 100% for fine focus. I stand by my statement on the evf but understand that if people still require an ovf, leave it in there but offer the option. Heck, a tilting external evf would be superb.

I am 32 and along with a lot of other people my long distance sight is going downhill and I can't get surgery just yet so an ovf is just a framing tool for me.

By the way Duplo, when your screen dies, how do you keep shooting, checking histogram and image review anyway?

Scott
I disagree on the superior framing and the gain bump is the one thing I do not want, the OVF does not kill my night vision an EVF will do that. and when shooting low light I have yet to see an EVF outperforming and OVF, but I guess much of it comes down to preference too and I do not like looking at a representation of what a JPG with my current settings might look like, as it says little about the actual raw data capture., a RAW histogram would be nice, but the EVF I have little need for.

I am 33 and my vision is not perfect either, but certainly good enough I think.

The answer to how to work when LCD's slowly die, is quite simple, you work off memory and to a certain extend experience. i have gone through a full day where I had no displays workable, turned out i mist have counted wrongly at some point in the afternoon, so had somewhere between half and a full stop underexposure from late afternoon, but it worked out.
The back Screen LCD is the first to die, then the top LCD and then the information below the viewfinder, when the viewfinder LCD row freeze up you will need to remember your settings and bring a light meter and keep it in a warm pocket.
The camera wil slowly unfreeze a bit in the tent at night where temperature goes up to maybe where the temperature usually is in the-5C to -15C range when two people sleep there or if you are lucky to stay in one of the small hunting cabins for a singel night, then it will actually completely defreeze over night (just put it in a ziplock plastic bag and do not open the camera bag!).
Typical hunting cabin:

In many ways film was/is easier to handle under arctic conditions, as you have physical dials for all exposure values, but especially battery technology has improved a lot. lcd/evf technology has a long way to come though.

07-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I'm in the process of working on my 645Z review...
In case anyone missed it, Jordan posted the 645Z field test video in a new thread.
08-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen any mention of the shot by Michael Reichmann taken with "his" 645Z that is posted on the Luminous Landscape web page. Nice shot Michael
08-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raksland Quote
I haven't seen any mention of the shot by Michael Reichmann taken with "his" 645Z that is posted on the Luminous Landscape web page. Nice shot Michael
I would be keen to hear his thoughts on the 80-160 that he used. I am thinking of replacing my 90 DFA and 150FA with the 80-160.

08-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by dgdb Quote
Why/how it is better than 250?
Snappier. Auto focus spot on... and I find the way it processes the file is much better both in the noise and in the colours (colour is subjective though).

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mreichmann Quote
Class A...

Let me address your questions, even though they are couched in aggressive terms, as was your initial post.

I have been an educator and author in the field of photography for some 40 years. This, in addition to being a photographer, of course.

For the past 15 years I have published The Luminous Landscape web site, which with more than 1 Million readers monthly has long been the world's largest site devoted to the art and craft of photography. Yes, there are larger, such as DPReview, but that's an equipment site. We cover a much broader range of topics.

But, whereas cameras are just one part of the photography scene they are what many people are fixated on, so we try and review the latest and greatest to the extent we can. And this means reviewing those items which we ourselves are most interested in.

The way this works is that many manufacturers send us gear for review (often before release and under NDA) because of our broad reach and influence. We take that responsibility seriously because we know that a review that has major errors and undue bias can damage a product launch.

But we also (and have always) simply called it as we see it. We NEVER accept any form of financial or other gifts, donation, bribes or other considerations. If there is a press event and other journalists are being comp'ed their travel as well, we accept that. But otherwise the only thing that drives our reviews is what we think of the equipment.

If you take the time to read the many hundreds of reviews on LuLa you'll see that we have praised products from companies such as Leica, Sony, Phase One, Panasonic, and also damned their stupidity, design errors and arrogance. We simply call things as we see them.

We also, (and this is directly to the point of this exchange) purchase equipment for our own long term use. Then, at the end of one to two years we sell it, and purchase whatever else is then new and which seems like it would be a good choice for our personal work for a couple of years.

The reason for this is that I am first and foremost a photographer, but I also am a reviewer. A week spent with a pre-production sample can tell me if a product is going to be a winner or a dog, but is nowhere near enough to know how well it might perform in the long run.

So, directly to your question... No, the 645Z didn't raise any "want bumps", because since the 645D the cameras world has moved on in the past few years. Products like the 36MP Nikon's, and Sony A7r have their advantages, and the Nikon's and Sony camera's that have incredibly high ISO capability similarly appeal for other needs. (Now including the 645z)

But, as someone who has owned and used various Pentax medium format gear over the years I have great respect for the cameras, and have found them to be very productive tools.

I therefore have just purchased a 645z with 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses. No, it didn't create want bumps, but a week with a pre-production sample has convinced me that it likely will be a highly useful system for my landscape work for the next couple of years. Leica and Phase One both have new cameras coming at Photokina, but the 645z, it seemed to me, and based on what I know, offers the best combination of price / performance value, and so that's how I've chosen to spend my own money. Indeed, when I review new MF systems over the next couple of years the 645Z will be my new benchmark, just as once a Hasselblad and Phase One both were.

I hope that this helps you understand how LuLa and I function. Sometimes we piss off companies and individuals because we don't say what their each wished we had. But, we always just call it as we see it, and we also put our own money where's our mouths are.

Michael
I pre-ordered a 645z after trying the phase one IQ250. This, for me was the best value/quality. I do a lot of work 30x30 or bigger and this camera gave me both versatility, speed and file size that I needed it. I have the 55 and the 90 and they are stellar lenses. My point of view was coming from the stand-point that of MF. Hard to beat value. I do have A7R as well. The image quality is good, but my do I love working with 645z. It is my workhorse.
09-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Michael has posted an added review op the Z, very nice indeed!
Pentax 645z In-Depth Review
09-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #67
Pentaxian

I think that Michael summed up the camera well.

The best thing I took from it was the use of the histogram for ETTR. It is good to know now what and how to use it.

I have had little time to use mine since getting it and it's good to know how to set it up for ETTR now, because most cameras screw it up and show an incorrect histogram especially for highlights

To all the complainers of MR's first impression, has his latest article made up for it. No more crying needed?
09-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Luminous Landscape contains an awesome amount of useful photographic information - kudos to M. Reichmann

This 645Z image from Lula's article by Michael is one that just makes me drool - wow! Love to have it on my wall

09-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #69
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"If you see someone using a Pentax 645z in the field chances will be that this is a knowledgable, serious photographer who doesn't care what the cool kids are using these days, but rather is one who knows what they need for their type of photography."
You could say that about so many Pentax and Ricoh cameras . . . . .