Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I knew you were familiar; I couldn't remember if you had sold me something or I sold you something, etc. I am still in debt to you for finding the polariser. I would have missed a couple amazing shots without it.

Yeah the 645D has fallen a long way from what we paid back then hasn't it. It seems used in conditions like mine at least it goes for about 3,500. Not justifiable for me to sell having spent 10k on it plus 1k in shipping to me over there...

What a bargain though if you want the 645D now. So to the original poster I would not hesitate to enter this market at current prices. There will always be that trade off to the high res 35mm bodies but I have never looked back from my change. I often contemplated the switch back to 35mm when the D800 came out; but, still to this day don't regret sticking with the 645D as it would have always been in my kit and stayed the primary use. To each his own. Live view on the Z is another plus. I often dreamed it would be nice but never had an issue (have the focus magnifier to aid focus confirmation on the D).

Someday I may get tired of hauling the weight around compared to other decent more compact options but that isn't today and won't be tomorrow.
The focus peaking is helpful in Live view too when using manual focus.

07-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Same thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
that's a good point. I encourage everyone who can afford it to go for the 645Z for the latest and greatest camera Pentax offers...but as I try to weigh the pros and cons vs my own amazing 645D, it looks like this:
  • improved high ISO performance - but I only use ISO 100
  • 27 AF points - I prefer MF
  • 50 Megapixels - 40 isn't enough for me??
  • Movie mode - wouldn't use
  • faster burst rate - I don't use burst for landscapes
  • tiltable screen - hey, that THAT would be nifty...
so, i need to work a little harder to justify this one, but someday...

This is what was going on in my mind when I wrote the original post - you've hit all the major points for me (except the MF - I use centre AF point)

The other thing that I believe would be a big bonus (with either model) is the large bright viewfinder. I know the Pentax APS-C viewfinders are regarded as amongst the best, but when I look through my 645N it's like a different world!
07-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe some day we will be able to send our "old" 645D's in for a sensor upgrade.
07-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #19

Do someone know how much it takes to replace shutter on 645D?

07-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Someday I may get tired of hauling the weight around compared to other decent more compact options but that isn't today and won't be tomorrow.
More compact MFD cameras will be coming as more companies enter this market, I suspect. The D and Z has some legacy to it with its body size but new designs need not be constrained by using a film body's registration distance.
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by dgdb Quote
Do someone know how much it takes to replace shutter on 645D?
645D shutter replacement has been discussed here a few times, including by me. Search threads for more details but in short I was quoted roughly $1000 CDN for shutter assembly replacement when mine failed the first time.
07-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
645D shutter replacement has been discussed here a few times, including by me. Search threads for more details but in short I was quoted roughly $1000 CDN for shutter assembly replacement when mine failed the first time.
Thanks, I was lazy on knew some of you know it :-)
So if someone is considering buying used 645D, than he needs to add 20% to the price for shutter replacement.

07-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgdb Quote
Thanks, I was lazy on knew some of you know it :-)
So if someone is considering buying used 645D, than he needs to add 20% to the price for shutter replacement.

I hope we are not looking at all 645D's needing shutter replacement.
07-18-2014, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #24

I have used the 645D since 2011 and the main reasons I want to upgrade to the 645Z is the live view, improved dynamic range and to a lesser degree the high ISO options. The biggest culprit to missing images on the 645D is the autofocus. The unreliability in getting 100% perfect auto focus is also the reason the shutter actuations get used up as quick as they do. I typically have to shoot 2 or 3 frames to be "safe" that one of them is sharp. This is especially true for the 25mm DA lens at certain distances. I print large (see below), so every little focussing error shows up.

Outside of that, I think at base ISO, on most scenes the differences between the Z and D will be minimal. The body has a proven form factor, is very reliable, and I trust it over my A7r which died on me in Antarctica after less than two months of use. The files out of the 645D are a lot more stable when doing lightroom adjustments than the sony files. Things like the occasional banding and purple rings on overcast skies is what makes the compressed, pre-cooked raw files out of the sony less than ideal in large prints. What Pentax really needs is more lenses that are in the class of the 90mm 2.8.

07-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
great post, larkis!
07-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I have used the 645D since 2011 and the main reasons I want to upgrade to the 645Z is the live view, improved dynamic range and to a lesser degree the high ISO options. The biggest culprit to missing images on the 645D is the autofocus. The unreliability in getting 100% perfect auto focus is also the reason the shutter actuations get used up as quick as they do. I typically have to shoot 2 or 3 frames to be "safe" that one of them is sharp. This is especially true for the 25mm DA lens at certain distances. I print large (see below), so every little focussing error shows up.

Outside of that, I think at base ISO, on most scenes the differences between the Z and D will be minimal. The body has a proven form factor, is very reliable, and I trust it over my A7r which died on me in Antarctica after less than two months of use. The files out of the 645D are a lot more stable when doing lightroom adjustments than the sony files. Things like the occasional banding and purple rings on overcast skies is what makes the compressed, pre-cooked raw files out of the sony less than ideal in large prints. What Pentax really needs is more lenses that are in the class of the 90mm 2.8.

I ca see where you need to eek out the last % of IQ, but some of us are just shutterbugs with deeper pockets, and the 645d will suit us well. the 645d does have a focus adjustment that works for me. I hope the 645z fills your needs and serves you well.
07-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The body has a proven form factor, is very reliable, and I trust it over my A7r which died on me in Antarctica after less than two months of use. The files out of the 645D are a lot more stable when doing lightroom adjustments than the sony files. Things like the occasional banding and purple rings on overcast skies is what makes the compressed, pre-cooked raw files out of the sony less than ideal in large prints. What Pentax really needs is more lenses that are in the class of the 90mm 2.8.
I've added the 645Z to my setup, shedding a bunch of gear to help make that happen. I've kept my A7R----and I'd really like to hear more about your difficulties with it---especially this alarming bit about it packing in on your trip. I know about the banding that appears in certain conditions----not ones that will affect me much if at all, but not good nevertheless. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will help that, as it should be something firmware could fix. I checked your blog (and have before, btw) and didn't see any discussion there---not that sort of blog, I understand. Thanks.
07-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #28

What actually happened to the A7r is a mystery to me. Sony replaced the whole main board of the camera, which makes me think that the electronics did not put up with the cold climate. Perhaps the circuitry design on the camera is less robust due to how tight everything is. It's just a theory, and i'm not an electrical engineer. It could also have been a bad unit and it was only a matter of time until it failed.

At some point I will describe the whole ordeal with the camera (and the replacement) on my blog.
07-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At some point I will describe the whole ordeal with the camera (and the replacement) on my blog.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.