Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

645Z Tethered

I was wondering if anyone has tethered the 645Z to Lightroom 5. I've tried but can't seem to get Lightroom to recognize the camera.

07-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

From my understanding, Pentax isn't adding the tethering feature until this Fall, sadly. Boo.
07-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisbodnarphoto Quote
From my understanding, Pentax isn't adding the tethering feature until this Fall, sadly. Boo.
Thanks Chris. I second the Boo... not good for studio users. One thing about the Hassy's and Phases is that the software on both ends is rock solid when tethering and updates are timely. Oh well, I guess I'll take one step forward with the progressive operating system on the 645Z and another one backwards with their tethering. I guess life is always a compromise.
07-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillsandvideo Quote
I was wondering if anyone has tethered the 645Z to Lightroom 5. I've tried but can't seem to get Lightroom to recognize the camera.
You can only tether with the FluCard for now- the dedicated PC software (like the one for the 645D) isn't quite out yet AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

So what you guys are saying is that I spent 50 euros for nothing by ordering a 4,6 meter USB3 cable?

But the 50 euros I paid for the 4.6 meter HDMI micro cable is useable?

It would be really great if the HDMI cable could be connected to a screen for live-view (checking precise focus).
10-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 645zzz Quote
It would be really great if the HDMI cable could be connected to a screen for live-view (checking precise focus).
I believe you can do that- but it's just as easy to magnify the image in live view mode, since the HDMI output has the same resolution as the camera's screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 645zzz Quote
So what you guys are saying is that I spent 50 euros for nothing by ordering a 4,6 meter USB3 cable?

But the 50 euros I paid for the 4.6 meter HDMI micro cable is useable?

I have been using USB2 for tethering and it works really well. My 3m USB3 cable will arrive in the post today. I tether to Lightroom 5 using the Image Transmitter 2 software that was recently released. I point the file to a folder which the tethered photos go into and Lightroom 5 picks them up via auto import. I also tried this with Capture One Pro (V7), which is really fast 3-4 seconds to preview DNG's Although Capture One is usable the colour profile is off. Perfectly fine though for viewing. I decided to use Lightroom because the file shows flawlessly. It takes longer to show, roughly 8 seconds. For me not a problem because tethering a Live View saves me so much time.

What I really like about Image Transmitter 2 is Live View. IT2 is a very simple program, you can't even change the sizes off the window. But because it's so simple, it doesn't use much processing power. It has crashed on a few occasions but it restarts instantly. My solution is to use Lightroom 5 (I think 5.4+ has 654Z PEF and DNG support) with auto import. If I want to control the camera from the computer I use Image Transmitter 2 software which runs quietly in the background. I don't find this a compromise but a perfectly good working solution.

09-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Did you check the options for your 645Z?
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

A german Pentaxian also uses the CamFi Pro Plus successful with his 645Z and Image Transmitter 2 (IT2):
Wireless Tethering mit "Shot & View" (im Shooting-Betrieb) - Pentaxians