Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Pentax 6X7 vs 67

What is the biggest difference between these two cameras? I was thinking about purchasing a 6X7. Would it be dumb to buy it over the 67? I cannot afford the 67II so thats not an option right now.

Is there a difference in image quality between the two?

07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-645d-medium-format/126015-6x7-vs-67-a.html

And here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110934-pen...-compared.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
thats fantastic. thanks Adam. Appreciate your help.
07-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timwatersphoto Quote
Is there a difference in image quality between the two?
Welcome to the forum!

The late 6x7 MLU bodies and the 67 are the same camera. I would still get a 67 as there is a better chance it will be in good shooting condition, as it’s newer.

The TTL meter on these two bodies are also the same and not very reliable, so I would invest in a handheld meter which you will need if you use a waist level finder.

The 67II is a totally different camera and has an excellent TTL metered prism.

As with any film camera it’s the lens and film that matter in the image quality, the camera body makes no difference, other than how easy/hard it is to create the image.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 07-11-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
07-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The vintage is the most obvious difference.

The original Honeywell Pentax dates back to 1969, and is probably not a good buy now given that they have seen so many decades of use (often heavy professional use then 'leave it be' amateur use). The "new" Pentax 67 came around in 1989 to 1991 featuring many worthwhile updates but essentially the internal working remained the same as does the specifications, with the exception of adding mirror lock-up and, on scant few bodies often added as a factory modification, the very useful function of multiple exposure (a small chrome lever on the right of the body next to the 120-220 film setting nib): bodies fitted with this modification are highly sought after as there really is no other way to get around the lack of a multiexposure facility. Both the old and new bodies offered a variety of removable viewfinders (the evergreen TTL metered prism, chimney finder, waist-level finder) and inner and outer bayonet mountz to take the oversize supertelephoto lenses. The TTL prism is a rudimentary affair but does work well even in contrasty lighting, but will suffer from age and rough treatment. The 5-stop exposure range and a lack of any discretionary exposure bias facility means any exposure requiring an amount of bias is very much a judgement call. I use the TTL meter occasionally but not in critical situation where I spot-meter separately as a matter of course. Quirks and intimicies like the procedure for removing and remounting the prism without damaging or snapping the meter coupling chain are something users have to skill-up on lest they be left with a dead beast that will not couple to the lens, much less meter through it! In a nutshell, I think it is best to seek out a well-kept ("EXC") specimen of the newer 67 body, with or without a prism meter and definitely give it a once-over in your hands. Places like eBay are convenient, but are not an alternative to following your gut instinct and checking out a camera you know you will be happy with and which will provide you with some years of service. They are not expensive cameras and they bookend a comprehensive lens system that will beautifully showcase the 6x7 format.

Last edited by Silent Street; 07-11-2014 at 06:00 PM.
07-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great summary Silent. I too lust over the 67II, Tim.

I jumped on a 6x7 MLU kit off the bay, and I'd say I got my money's worth. The body is in fair shape, but it had the 45/4 and the waist level finder, both of which I wanted. Keep an eye out... thankfully 6x7 stuff is generally cheaper than 645 stuff right now!
07-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
bleah, I lost the bid on the 6X7 lol. time to bid on another one.

Can I assume that all 67's have the MLU? its only the 6X7 I need to be aware of.....
07-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timwatersphoto Quote
bleah, I lost the bid on the 6X7 lol. time to bid on another one.

Can I assume that all 67's have the MLU? its only the 6X7 I need to be aware of.....
Yes all 67's have the MLU feature. Have you tried Apug or Keh ?

07-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Most of the Asahi 6x7s had MLU as well. That started in 1976. I agree with others here that you should go for the newer 67 in good shape.