Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Pentax 645Z tethering

Rented the 645Z seems great tried all the lenses everything works fine but not tether to Lightroom or anything else I tried!! Am I missing something or is this not a very important part for professional workflow? Pentax wheres' the tether with USB, wifi cards are to slow!

07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kdphoto Quote
Rented the 645Z seems great tried all the lenses everything works fine but not tether to Lightroom or anything else I tried!! Am I missing something or is this not a very important part for professional workflow? Pentax wheres' the tether with USB, wifi cards are to slow!
The tethering software is going to be released on CD later this year, and it will allow you to tether via lightroom. It will cost you an extra $200 or so, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The tethering software is going to be released on CD later this year, and it will allow you to tether via lightroom. It will cost you an extra $200 or so, however.
Eewwww.....not cool.

07-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
and it will allow you to tether via lightroom.
Is that right?
Like it's predecessor, I understood the Pentax software was standalone, not a LR plugin.
07-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

I did a studio shoot this weekend with the 645Z and you are correct, there is no tethering at all at this time. Hopefully, it will get resolved asap, especially since it is a real disadvantage. Additionally, I had a problem with color accuracy. I routinely shoot a CCD Hassy in the studio because I really like its skin tones and the accuracy of the color. I decided to shoot both cameras side by side for a while in order to see how the 645Z fairs against a CCD's skin tones and to my dismay, the color on the Pentax was way off (e.g. greenish/blue background showed blue plus skin was a bit magenta). I did shoot in Pentax's own RAW format, not DNG and I expect that maybe Lightroom is not interpreting the RAW data correctly. I'm trying to sort it all out so I'd love to get some feedback from others that have some insight or previous experiences with color renditions of the PEF file format.

Regarding the Flu Card... I spent hours upon hours trying various configurations and settings only to be disappointed with the practicality of the transfer. In real life situations (in my case fashion or beauty shoots), fast transfers is vital and you can't loose your connection. I frequently lost connection between the laptop and FluCard, even after trying various settings and tips provided by a fellow photographer, and when it did work, it just took way too long to transfer even the smallest of JPG's IMO. Additionally, battery drain is pretty acute in a shoot where you are transferring 1 or 2 hundred images.

Not trying to be picky here. I think the 645z does a whole lot right and that Pentax is to be commended. But on the other hand, some things (like tethering, leaf shutter lenses, etc.) need to be addressed if they want to play in the MF league.
07-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillsandvideo Quote

Not trying to be picky here. I think the 645z does a whole lot right and that Pentax is to be commended. But on the other hand, some things (like tethering, leaf shutter lenses, etc.) need to be addressed if they want to play in the MF league.
Pentax plays in the MF league, just not yet in your division.

It's easy to forget Pentax MF cameras, film and digital, were primarily designed as highly mobile field/landscape cameras more than as studio or wedding cameras. Conversely, Hasselblad and Phase have pretty much owned the studio and fashion market. Things will likely equalize a bit in the future.

07-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Do PKTether or pktriggercord work on the 645Z?
07-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

Not with 645Z and K3. Will it ever???

-Linus-
09-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #10

Is there any news on tethering support?

I'm deeply interested in the 645Z, it's looks awesome, but the lack of tethering support is a real show stopper for me. I currently shoot fashion and beauty in my studio using a PhaseOne P40+ via a firewire tether, I can't imagine life without that functionality.
09-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dan-uk Quote

I'm deeply interested in the 645Z, it's looks awesome, but the lack of tethering support is a real show stopper for me. I currently shoot fashion and beauty in my studio using a PhaseOne P40+ via a firewire tether, I can't imagine life without that functionality.
Latest I've heard across various internet sources is December.
09-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Latest I've heard across various internet sources is December.
Thanks for the quick reply Tex, three months should give Pentax plenty of time to do a good job of it. I was ideally hoping for CaptureOne integration further down the line, I use the Capture Pilot functionality all the time so that clients can live review the images on their iPads.
09-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #13

Not to hijack the thread ...

Dan, why go to 645Z instead of upgrade your P40+ to an IQ1 or IQ2 backs ?
Seems more reasonable, no ??
The price of 645Z plus lenses (especially those of DFAs) are around the ballpark of IQ140 (with P40+ upgrade), I think ??

I'm just curios ...
09-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the quick reply Tex, three months should give Pentax plenty of time to do a good job of it.
UUUUmmmmm....maybe not. We'll see.
QuoteQuote:
I was ideally hoping for CaptureOne integration further down the line, I use the Capture Pilot functionality all the time so that clients can live review the images on their iPads.
It is entirely possible that C1 will never support Pentax, as there seem to be some conflicts of interest there, as I understand it. I hope i am wrong.
10-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #15

C1 and Pentax

You are not wrong.

Phase One does not, and will not, support any other medium format products with it's Capture One software.

If you want a medium format solution which includes the robust, professional, fully features, fast and responsive tethering provided by Capture One, then I'd suggest a Team Phase One medium format system.