Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #31

Hi TikiDan,

Where did you get Image Transmitter 2?

It is still not available in the US (my location) or the UK.

Is there a place in Germany I could get it?

Cheers,
Gerhard

11-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
buy here: Image Transmitter 2
11-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
thanks, but this website doesn't allow you to enter orders from countries other than the UK?
11-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
change in the url the uk in de and you get the site in german where you can buy it

11-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #35

got it, thanks!
11-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by TikiDan Quote
Hi Dan,
I shoot fashion as well. In the studio & tethered.
Owning the 645z now of course C1 & Capture Pilot have gotten obsolete.
I only used C1 when I shot with a rented Phase One back and I always hated the not very userfriendly handling.

Everything I shoot with 35mm SLR I process in Lightroom, which is much more userfriendly except for the slow
rendering and lack of a loupe to quickly check focus.

I have gotten pretty good at it and for my purposes I don't miss anything.

Here's how I work now:

For tethered shooting with the Pentax 645z I use Lightroom in combination with ImageTransmitter2.
I works much better than expected.

All you need to to is to tell ImageTransmitter2 where to store the images coming from the camera on your PC.
In Lightroom you'd have to enable AutoImport. Just define the folder from ImageTransmitter2 as watched folder
and tell Lightroom where to copy the images to. Then you are all set.

It's almost as fast as shooting tethered with Capture One.

So far I haven't managed to transfer RAW & JPGs. RAW only works fine.
I was thinking of using the JPGs at first to get faster previews and I wanted to test
the JPGs in C1 on the side so I my clients still could use Capture Pilot but since I couldn't transfer
RAWS with JPGs on the side this is not an option.

One more thing:
Pentax commented on a comment of mine on FaceBook asking for a tether-plugin for Lightroom.
They said that they are working on it. Reading Lightroom rumours it is expected that the next LR
version will get a performance boost. If this is true all will be good - with a tethering plugin

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dan
Hi TikiDan

Thanks for the info, I've actually had an opportunity to shoot with the 645Z and the ImageTrasmitter / Lightroom setup. Another tog rented my studio recently and turned up with that exact configuration, which was really convenient for me :-)

It works and I could live with it. But it's very slow compared to my C1 / firewire setup, and the lack of CapturePilot support in Lightroom is a PITA. I usually give the creative director(s) an ipad with CapturePilot installed and seat them in the lounge area of my studio, with LR they'll all be huddled around my Macbook on the studio floor. I'm hoping some enterprising 3rd party will build a CapturePilot style plugin for LR.

Unrelated, but have you shot any fashion outside with your 645Z, mixing ambient and strobes? I usually do this with leaf shutter lenses on my P40+ and sync at 1/500th sec, but I see that the 645Z is locked to 1/125th which is going to require a lot more strobe power.

Many thanks,

Dan
11-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dan-uk Quote
Hi TikiDan

Thanks for the info, I've actually had an opportunity to shoot with the 645Z and the ImageTrasmitter / Lightroom setup. Another tog rented my studio recently and turned up with that exact configuration, which was really convenient for me :-)

It works and I could live with it. But it's very slow compared to my C1 / firewire setup, and the lack of CapturePilot support in Lightroom is a PITA. I usually give the creative director(s) an ipad with CapturePilot installed and seat them in the lounge area of my studio, with LR they'll all be huddled around my Macbook on the studio floor. I'm hoping some enterprising 3rd party will build a CapturePilot style plugin for LR.

Unrelated, but have you shot any fashion outside with your 645Z, mixing ambient and strobes? I usually do this with leaf shutter lenses on my P40+ and sync at 1/500th sec, but I see that the 645Z is locked to 1/125th which is going to require a lot more strobe power.

Many thanks,

Dan
Why not just use a pentax Flucard to an ipad?

11-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by boinger Quote
That's a potential work-around, is it possible to send small JPG's to an ipad whilst tethering to a laptop for your RAW images at the same time?
11-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
Inactive Account

I have a flucard. I can test that functionality for you and let you know.
11-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #40

Flu Card & iPad

QuoteOriginally posted by boinger Quote
Hi everyone!
I own a flu card as well.
I tested it - forget it! The functionality is less than basic.

If you are planing to shoot tethered and transfer JPGs via FluCard to iPad the same time: IT WON'T WORK.
The camera will freeze. I even didn't manage to transfer JPGs & RAWs at the same time (tethered) result >> camera freezes (I'd have to remove the battery to restart).
In ImageTransmitter2 I do have the possibility to check what files I'd like to transfer. So far I onlmanaged to transfer either RAW or JPG.

Back to the FluCard.

Here are some comments:
•once the camera falls to "sleep mode" you'll loose the WiFi connection, so you'd have to reconnect every time the camera wakes up - very annoying. Workaround: turn off "auto Power off" in the camera settings.
•the transfer rate is darn slow: 7-8 sec./ image @ smallest JPG size!
•image review on iPad: very very rudimentary:
•you cannot rate or select images
•you cannot swipe from one image to another. you'd always have to go back to overview to see the next image.
•once connected to the FluCard you will be disconnected from the internet.

Conclusion: FluCard is unfortunately not suitable for any professional workflow.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Last edited by TikiDan; 11-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.
11-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #41

That's a potential work-around, is it possible to send small JPG's to an ipad whilst tethering to a laptop for your RAW images at the same time?
nope. It's not even possible to shoot & transfer (tethered) RAW & JPG at the same time.

What about lightroom mobile? This might work. I can't test it I am not in Adobe CC.
11-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #42
Forum Member

The FluCard is a joke.
For wireless I have a Mobi card, the fastest they make and it works very well.
I just tried to get Image Transmitter`(DNG) and the Mobi (jpgs) to work at the same time. The Mobi doesn't want to stay connected to the iPad now.
So it looks like it is either use a wifi card or use Image Transmitter but not both
11-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #43

Sounds like an item for the Firmware Wishlist. I'm looking forward to testing IT2 soon as well, but I'm not optimistic based on this thread.

- N.
11-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #44
Inactive Account

I can confirm what the earlier person said flucard does not work will tethered.

a possible work around is that you can make a local webserver that you simply browse to with an ipad as you are tethered and have it update automaticly. Should not be very hard actually.
02-16-2015, 02:09 AM   #45

Hi everyone,

I have recently shot Portraits using an EyeFi card on a 645z (second slot, small JPGs)
and had them transfered to my iPad almonst instantly, using ShutterSnitch.
It turned out to work quite nice.

There is one small downer though: as soon as the camera goes in sleep mode,
the iPad loses WLan connection to the EyeFi card. When the camera is reactivated
you'll have to watch an image on the second card in the camera to activate the WLan,
wait about 10 seconds and then manually connect your iPad again. Of course, you can
turn off sleep mode of the camera, but the EyeFi card lowers battery life to app. 50%.

I want to try tethered shooting by use of IT 2 at the end of this week. Is there a way to buy
and download the software instantly or are they really selling it on CD only?

@ stillsandvideo: I have experienced a magenta shift of skin tones as well.
I started to use custom WB and manually shift towards green/blue.