Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Vova Quote
Dear dgdb, thank you for your answer and good friendly advices.
I do not force you to use the DCU 5.1 for Mac to convert PEF to the JPEG or TIFF, I simply ask you if you can, please, help me and let me use the DCU 5.1 for that process. That's all what I'm asking about. :-)
But... as all of us definately know now - you have the very special 645Z: the CD S-SW150 included in the box with your camera does not have the Software Installer.app for Mac. Unfortunately. :-(

Concerning the LR, CO, ACR ets. instead of DCU 5.1 - great advice but not what I am asking for (I have all that software)!
let me remind an old anecdote:
- Dear Sir (manager), may I buy a toilet paper in your store?
- No, we have no toilet paper! But we can offer you the sanding paper and the confetti!

Sorry to disturb you.
Thank you for the time you spent with me and for me.
Sincerely.
Good luck.
Cheers.
sorry am struggling a little here. What is the problem with using lightoom to open your PEF/DNG files? If you didn't have LR, I would understand, but since you have it why not use it. I have the Nikon software for the D800E, but I rarely use it. Certain things may be less visible like the Dynamic Range Optimiser and the colour profiles, but personally you can get better results from using Lightoom. I didn't even take the Pentax software from the box, plus I have a retina macbook pro that doesn't have a drive.

07-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #17

I feel very strange in this topic during such discussion. :-(
It looks like I came to the bar to have one drink of whisky but barman and a
couple of other visitors strongly recommend me drink some milk, simply because milk is much more better for the health than whisky.
But I still want one drink of whisky... :-)
Maybe I should go to the another Bar... :-)
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

couple of other visitors strongly recommend me drink some milk, simply because milk is much more better for the health than whisky.
The intention isn't to make you feel unwelcome, far from it. I have no experience of Pentax software but from what I've heard it's not in the same ballpark as Nikon's, and Nikon's isn't as good as Adobe's offerings.

My point is, if you are using LR as a raw developer what is it that you are missing? What do you think the Pentax editor could do better? others who have experience of it will then be able to offer you advice.
07-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #19

I was just curious why do you want that Whiskey and telling you, that there is not that kind of Whiskey on the market and that you should try Milk instead. If you insist on using S-SW150, I would suggest using it in Virtualbox or something like that.
We all just dont understand why do you want that if you have so many better options, thats all.

07-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #20

OK! Please pay your attention to the fact that this is not the topic to discuss strengths or weaknesses of RAW converters. This topic was started by the fellow who asked the copy of DCU 5.1 from the disk S-SW150 and you soon and kindly presented him this copy to use on the Win platform without any questions like these: why do you need this software, for what do you need it, there are much better tools, etc. Such questions you addressed only to other guy who simply asked the same software but for Mac OS X. :-)

Thank you for your advice about virtualization, my knowledge about this techhology is pretty good and I used the virtual machine on my Mac in the past. Now I don't do it because as for me it's not comfortable on the first point and I did not bought Mac to use Win on it on the second point. :-)
Concerning the converters and DCU 5.1: the main and mostly important for me in this software - the specific for Pentax great colour rendering and number of colour profiles which I do not reach using LR, ACR, CO, DxO even with my handmade color profiles for my camera. Sometimes and even often the colour rendering is so important for me that I use weak DCU instead of other powerfull tools.

So, if somebody have the CD S-SW150, please make the full disk image of it and share it with me.
There is the installer for Mac on it - one simply cannot see it while open the disk on Win machine.

Last edited by Uncle Vova; 07-24-2014 at 05:21 AM.
07-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #21

Concerning the converters and DCU 5.1: the main and mostly important for me in this software - the specific for Pentax great colour rendering and number of colour profiles which I do not reach using LR, ACR, CO, DxO even with my handmade color profiles for my camera. Sometimes and even often the colour rendering is so important for me that I use weak DCU instead of other powerfull tools.

So, if somebody have the CD S-SW150, please make the full disk image of it and share it with me.
There is the installer for Mac on it - one simply cannot see it while open the disk on Win machine.
Thanks for clarifing that, I was really just curious in which way could this SW be better.
I bought external DVD drive yesterday as a gift for my father, so I will unwrap it later today and try that DVD on Mac.
I dont understand why it is not possible to download that from Pentax.
07-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by dgdb Quote
I dont understand why it is not possible to download that from Pentax.
This is the marketing politics of the company: they sell their software PDCU 4 and DCU 5 with Pentax cameras only.
They make only the upgrades for those products to be downloadable from the official site.

07-24-2014, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #23

This is the marketing politics of the company: they sell their software PDCU 4 and DCU 5 with Pentax cameras only.
They make only the upgrades for those products to be downloadable from the official site.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hesatjezvcx6h7b/S-SW150_MAC.zip
07-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #24

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Great job and it works! :-)
Thank you very much, I really do appreciate what you've done for me.
Sincerely.
07-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #25

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Great job and it works! :-)
Thank you very much, I really do appreciate what you've done for me.
Sincerely.
Glad to help. Enjoy.