Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

D-FA 25mm f/4 discontinued

I just saw a report on LuLa that a member had received a mailing from a major Japanese retailer, stating the 645 25mm f/4 lens was out of production. I discounted the idea at first, seeing the lens still listed on both the Ricoh USA and Canadian sites. (Though it is incorrectly listed on the Canadian site as the D-FA. Only the DA version was available in North America as far as I know, and "DA" is visible on the product photo on the Canadian site. The DA is what I got when I bought mine a couple of years ago.) Then I considered the issue of the D-FA vs. the DA and the coming ultra wide zoom, and decided to check a little more.

Looking at the Ricoh Japan site just now, I see the 25mm f/4 is gone from the 645 lens list, both DA and D-FA versions. It's still shown on the 645 lens road map (D-FA version), but that hasn't been updated since Feb. 2014.
Lens list for Medium-format Digital single-lens reflex camera / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

There is also a discontinued lens list, and I see the D-FA 645 25mm is shown there, but the DA is not.
Discontinued Lens list for Medium-format Digital single-lens reflex camera / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

I would presume the DA 645 25mm is still in production but not listed on the Japan site because of the situation where they had the D-FA and the DA was for markets outside of Japan. I don't know if the DA version was ever listed on the Japan site, but I suspect they're now consolidating all regions on the DA version of the lens. Still, if that was the case, I would have thought they'd update the lens list when the D-FA 25mm was discontinued. So it's not clear.

I thought I would post here for any other info from people who have tracked the situation with the 25mm.

07-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
I just saw a report on LuLa that a member had received a mailing from a major Japanese retailer, stating the 645 25mm f/4 lens was out of production. I discounted the idea at first, seeing the lens still listed on both the Ricoh USA and Canadian sites. (Though it is incorrectly listed on the Canadian site as the D-FA. Only the DA version was available in North America as far as I know, and "DA" is visible on the product photo on the Canadian site. The DA is what I got when I bought mine a couple of years ago.) Then I considered the issue of the D-FA vs. the DA and the coming ultra wide zoom, and decided to check a little more.

Looking at the Ricoh Japan site just now, I see the 25mm f/4 is gone from the 645 lens list, both DA and D-FA versions. It's still shown on the 645 lens road map (D-FA version), but that hasn't been updated since Feb. 2014.
Lens list for Medium-format Digital single-lens reflex camera / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

There is also a discontinued lens list, and I see the D-FA 645 25mm is shown there, but the DA is not.
Discontinued Lens list for Medium-format Digital single-lens reflex camera / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

I would presume the DA 645 25mm is still in production but not listed on the Japan site because of the situation where they had the D-FA and the DA was for markets outside of Japan. I don't know if the DA version was ever listed on the Japan site, but I suspect they're now consolidating all regions on the DA version of the lens. Still, if that was the case, I would have thought they'd update the lens list when the D-FA 25mm was discontinued. So it's not clear.

I thought I would post here for any other info from people who have tracked the situation with the 25mm.
Dear Royce, the D-FA is still available in shops in Japan. It remains in stock is because the Japanese prefer the D-FA version to use for film version of the 645 (some overstocked it). In fact one small shop still told me they can get it from Ricoh Japan. For those that remain, if you can get one on hand it will be good before it runs out.
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote

This makes sense, being some 2 or so years after the DA launched.

The lula post said "out of production" or similar, we know that from when the DA launched. It will be that they now have low stocks of the DFA so it's off the list.

This looks good for the new ultra wide zoom being a DFA replacement, hopefully we see it come September.

I need an ultra wide for my 645Z!
07-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does this mean that there is no chance for an FF (645 that is) 645D body? Will the new zoom also be a DA lens?

07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Im also interested to know what the new zoom lens is supposed to be?
07-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Those are the same kinds of questions I have. Pentax is rationalizing the 25mm lens... does it imply anything for a future possible full frame 645 body? I think another piece of the inference chain will be clarified when we find out if the coming wide zoom is a DA or D-FA. I'm happy with my DA 25mm but I'd pay attention if I thought it was some kind of evolutionary dead end. It's an expensive piece to be part of a temporary pattern. Oh well, it's only money, right?
07-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I thought all you had to do was do a little shave job to the lens hood on the DA and you got full-frame coverage. Of course, that may not work.
07-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

My two cents is they probably are planning to not go full frame. The very reason for the introduction of the DA 25mm was to reduce the manufacturing cost (and improve the optical performance a little), and they simply do not want to keep two production lines, which means additional cost. I strongly suspect that the new wide angle zoom will also be DA, and they will release the DA 25mm in the Japanese market soon.

07-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But the 25mm IS FF (645) which is rather baffling as it increases cost significantly. I find it strange that they made this lens in order to make the 645 film shooters happy.....
Maybe there was a change of plan somwhere....
07-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by harklee Quote
My two cents is they probably are planning to not go full frame. The very reason for the introduction of the DA 25mm was to reduce the manufacturing cost (and improve the optical performance a little), and they simply do not want to keep two production lines, which means additional cost. I strongly suspect that the new wide angle zoom will also be DA, and they will release the DA 25mm in the Japanese market soon.
was just going to add that the little extra bit of wideness of the 25mm on a FF 645 sensor, would be just right to nicely cover the wide end of the line.

also, nice to see you, Hark Lee!

Last edited by mikeSF; 07-16-2014 at 07:58 AM.
07-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
Keep in mind there has been a change in ownership of Pentax from Hoya to Ricoh. I'm sure the plans, designs and marketing intent of the digital 645 system including the first D-FA 25mm design came from before Ricoh management were in the loop. Once they took over, it's possible that the internal development roadmap changed. I for one would love a full frame 645 digital, but it's possible they won't do it now.

If the new wide zoom comes out DA, that will be a signal... though of course they could always be doing the smaller format in the short term to conserve costs and prove the market, then opt to go full frame at a later date.
07-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I think Pentax will have to work with whatever sensor is available. Cutting edge right now is the Sony CMOS in the 44x33 size. Down the road in 2-3 years, will that size even be available or will it be bigger? This will be for Sony (or another manufacturer) to decide - do we know what input outside end-users had in determining the size of the current sensor? In the past, CCD sensors got bigger with time and I expect the CMOS to do the same.
01-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Hello,

well, discontinuation seems to be confirmed now, still unofficially but for both DA and DFA versions :

* still lacking from the official Ricoh Imaging Japanese site.
* also lacking from this commercial book, issued last december in Japan (645 mount lens catalog in pp 82-83) :

I am glad to have an excellent copy of the DFA 25, which used on 645NII has a tremoundously wide 15mm focal equ. angle

---------- Post added 24-01-15 at 11:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Does this mean that there is no chance for an FF (645 that is) 645D body? Will the new zoom also be a DA lens?

Alas, now confirmed, "by default".
02-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

The lens now shows discontinued at B&H: Pentax smc DA 645 25mm f/4 AL (IF) SDM AW Lens 26370 B&H Photo
02-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
whew, it's a good thing i got mine.
I would welcome something a little wider in the future lineup too, like an 18 or 21mm