Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Help with 645Z lens selection

Hi People,
I am Haseeb and I live in Dubai,UAE. Just joined the forums.

I am planning to purchase a 645Z as i am visiting USA next month for 7 days. I was using a Canon DSLR EOS 450D but it got stolen and then I had to give my hobby a break,Yeah it was quite a beginners camera and i am also not a professional photographer,, but i do keep on looking for newest technologies to get best results.I was planning to upgrade to higher grade cameras gradually.

So in search for a new camera, I came across the medium formats,,,ended up finding info on Pentax. and I am really impressed as I have seen a lot of reviews of 645 D and also other Pentax Cameras. I was fixated on Hasselblad and PhaseOne for some time ,, but after looking at the price of 645Z, Pentax snapped me out of it

My problem is that I am not able to figure out what lenses are compatible with 645Z ?? the Canon I was only using the Kit lens, but I am really wanting to go in depth now and explore my hobby. So when I am buying the 645Z so i also want to buy some lenses too,
I want you to help me with listing down the best lenses for all purposes... as I love to shoot portraits,, landscapes,, i go to sports events, I attend a lot of weddings and parties too...and then I also like to shoot the closeups ....

If my research is not wrong, for all of the above I would require Wide Angle Primes, Zoom and Macro... but what are the best ones in each category for 645Z.

So I will be waiting for your response... I would want the lenses with the widest and fixed aperture,
If you have any suggestions and recommendations, so plz mention...Thanks.

Haseeb.

07-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/268120-pentax-6...ml#post2878255

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry no one as yet has replied. I think people are looking at your question and thinking why you are making such a big jump from your old canon to a bulky camera that is best used for landscapes and in studios.

Go to the B&H website - link below to start you off and start with this lens to look at the lenses available - around 15 lenses, but only 3 are very recent. Then maybe do some research on which is best for you. Pentax Pentax-D FA 645 55mm f/2.8 AL[IF] SDM AW Lens 26350 B&H
07-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lenses that are available from Pentax are for the most part are all great. the only lens that regularly gets poor reviews is the 45mm. All of the 645 lenses that Pentax has made or is available will work perfectly on the 645D/Z models. If I was to own a dream lens kit for my 645D it would look like this:
25mm
35mm f/3.5 (i own it)
55mm AW
75mm (i own it)
90 Macro (i own the 120mm version)
150 f/2.8 (not the f/3.5 version)
200mm (i own it)
45-85
80-160
80-160
1.4x Converter

I'd have a complete set of Heliopan C-PL, Digital Filter, Six & Ten stop ND filters too (which i actually do own and would buy again).

Just keep in mind that the 645D/Z are great at what they do, which is landscape, portraiture, still lifes and macro too. They do have their weak spots. They're not a good choice if you do a lot of shooting that requires ultra-wide angle because Pentax doesn't offer anything wider than 25mm (20mm equiv. to FF). Also, the 645D or 645Z are not designed for sports or anything moving quickly. The 645D/Z are great cameras but a D800E, D4S, EOS-1Dx, EOS 5D Mark II/III will be far better for sports photography. Ideally, one would have separate systems each designed for specific types of photography.