Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! We went to Chobe two years ago and it was an incredible experience. Your night sky pictures are really special!

07-24-2014, 02:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote
Added 6 more posts. Hope you all appreciate all the photos.
Fantastic photos. Beautiful, great work!
07-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yes, very nicely captured. Would have been better if there is a 500 mm lens for 645Z AF. That would have brought the subject closer. Thanks for sharing.

marcus
07-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
That would have brought the subject closer.
Don't use the method a friend's son used to get better lion photos: He got out of the car at a game park in South Africa (with lots of signs warning people to stay in their cars) got a good photo, went closer... got a really good photo, went closer still.... got a brilliant photo, went closer again.... And they ate him. True story.

07-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! We went to Chobe two years ago and it was an incredible experience. Your night sky pictures are really special!
Dear Chuckie, thanks for the complements. Yes, it is a special place indeed.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Fantastic photos. Beautiful, great work!
Thank you Mark. Appreciate the complements.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Yes, very nicely captured. Would have been better if there is a 500 mm lens for 645Z AF. That would have brought the subject closer. Thanks for sharing.

marcus
The reason why I went against the a 400 or 500 is that optically they are not as sharp wide open. Also if you are stuck with a 400, 500mm. That means I would have lost at least 40-50% of my coverage and composition would have been ruined. I find the 300mm just perfect for such a situation and I think it is the the focal length you should have with safaris to national parks. It's hard to say. Thats wide I prefer 300mm at least you get enough range. However, a 400-600mm would work for up close birds flying or animals at a distance.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 10:23 PM ----------

Don't use the method a friend's son used to get better lion photos: He got out of the car at a game park in South Africa (with lots of signs warning people to stay in their cars) got a good photo, went closer... got a really good photo, went closer still.... got a brilliant photo, went closer again.... And they ate him. True story.
Yikes. Sorry to hear. But I thought there were strict rules where one can't get out of the drive unless supervised?
07-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonojono Quote

Yikes. Sorry to hear. But I thought there were strict rules where one can't get out of the drive unless supervised?
Rules? It's Africa! Everyone bends or breaks the rules.

It was pretty shocking, the guy's girlfriend saw the whole thing. (So not so funny for her, of course) The rest of us thought "Darwin Awards".
07-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rules? It's Africa! Everyone bends or breaks the rules.

It was pretty shocking, the guy's girlfriend saw the whole thing. (So not so funny for her, of course) The rest of us thought "Darwin Awards".
Haha, well I know now they are really careful. You can't just have a toliet break in the middle of a game park or national park. Some people do act stupidly in self drives. I've heard of the guy peaking out of the window and lions mauling his face.

07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots JonoJono.

I especially loved your wide angle shots of the desert. Its one of my wish list to visit and hopefully very soon.

Just one question, are you using any polarizer on your 25mm F4? Which one is that.
07-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxloxton Quote
Excellent shots JonoJono.

I especially loved your wide angle shots of the desert. Its one of my wish list to visit and hopefully very soon.

Just one question, are you using any polarizer on your 25mm F4? Which one is that.
thanks for the kind complements. i use the default polarizer given.
07-29-2014, 03:45 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
Great images, Ive only had mine for a weekend. Surprised at the High ISO's you used in many of the photos, and yet, it seems the Z is so much better at that than my Mark2. Thank you for sharing
07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobertH Quote
Great images, Ive only had mine for a weekend. Surprised at the High ISO's you used in many of the photos, and yet, it seems the Z is so much better at that than my Mark2. Thank you for sharing
Hi Robert, thanks for the complements.

Reason I used an ISO for 400 is because often 100-200 would be too slow to catch movement of animals or shake of the transport does affect me holding the telephoto. Given the clean ISO ability of the 645Z, 800 would have very well possible. But I decided 400 was better to prevent over exposure and I could get the high shutter speed I wanted at F8 through to F13 easily (1/250 and above). Given the great DR, highlight control would have been well controlled or easily corrected with LR.

As for 6400, 12800 which I used for the milky way or after sunset I am very impressed. There is good control and sharpness at F4-F8 at low light. I would dare say the Z is better than most camera out there in the latest generation at the moment due to sensor size (which in turn better handles noise). I was surprised at the results versus the new generation of Nikons, etc.