Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I've had acknowledgement of the email - they have referred it to Japan:

Dear Mr itshimitis,

Thank you for your e-mail and for informing us of your experience with the 645Z.

I have informed my contact with Japan and have asked them to let me know details of what is being done to resolve the issue.

As soon as I receive their reply I will update you.

Kind regards,

Product Coordinator

RICOH IMAGING UK LTD
PENTAX House, Heron Drive, Langley, Slough SL3 8PN

07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #17

I found this "fault" on my first outing and reported it on my earlier post. However all I now do is set all lenses to A on their aperture ring and use the camera body dial. This seems to be accurate with all my old and new lenses. It seems an odd thing though.
07-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #18

P67 lenses?

I'm wondering if this behavior occurs when using P67 lenses with the Z.
07-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
I suppose that the answer to your problem is that the body has no idea what the aperture you manually set is, when you are out of A on FA lenses, only guesses, and always shoots at maximum aperture as if the lens is wide open when in Av.
At least this is how it does on my two aps-c bodies.
Just to close the loop on this one, thanks for the input. However it's not the case with the 645D or 645Z. The body knows the lens and the aperture dialed in on the ring, whether it's an A, FA, DA or D-FA. I think it's pretty clear from the many comments on this thread there's a firmware bug or something in the Z. Hopefully it will be corrected before long.

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 09:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I'm wondering if this behavior occurs when using P67 lenses with the Z.
67 lenses don't show the aperture value at all on the Z body, through the 67-to-645 adapter. I will have to check this on the D, I seem to recall the aperture setting was read. But I could be misremembering.

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by snapper99 Quote
I found this "fault" on my first outing and reported it on my earlier post. However all I now do is set all lenses to A on their aperture ring and use the camera body dial. This seems to be accurate with all my old and new lenses. It seems an odd thing though.
I missed your report of this in your ealier post, but just reviewed. Yes, I think you were hit with the same thing. Although oddly, in my case the A lenses that I have work fine on my 645Z. The only ones that have the problem are FA lenses for me. Specifically which A lenses do you see this with? My A 35mm, 75mm and 120mm all work fine.

07-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #20

I have the 35mm A and the 150mm FA, and I tried all options and I donīt have a problem at all.
09-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've had a reply from my contact at the Service part of Ricoh here in the UK (he is the Service Coordinator for Pentax Ricoh UK) I reported intermittent faults with AF too:

"I have had a response regarding some of the 654Z questions that you posed but not all. What the factory have said about the issue when using the aperture ring on the lens is that this can not be avoided. They refer me to a reference on page 28 of the operating manual which states that '*3 Depending on the lens, the aperture ring value and the value displayed in the viewfinder may not match'. This reflects a similar line from page 26 of the 645D operating manual that states '*8 Depending on the lens, the aperture ring value and the value displayed in the viewfinder may not match'. My colleagues inform me that if the aperture is changed using the e-dials rather than the lens aperture ring, the aperture value in the viewfinder will match the aperture setting used for the exposure.

I have requested that, if possible, an amendment be included in the next FW update but don't know if this is possible.

Regarding the AF issue, unfortunately we don't seem to be able to shed any light on this without seeing the camera and lenses that are affected. Does the issue affect all lenses or just some? Typically we would suggest ensuring that all the contacts are cleaned with a soft dry cloth but I assume that you will have done this already. I'd also be curious if this is the same if the aperture ring is used vs. the e-dial. I'm not sure if the two issues could be connected but it may be worth checking.

With regards to firmware updates I don't have any specific information but we have seen a dramatic difference between what was 'normal' under Pentax and what is the new 'normal' under Ricoh. Ricoh's philosophy seems to be to update firmware where possible not just to fix problems but to add functionality. They have a much larger skill set and resource in this area than the old Pentax had and so I would expect that we will find that updates are better than we had with the 645D."
09-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for that report. I do sometimes read camera manuals but I hadn't noticed that little footnote in the manual (either 645Z or 645D) about the possible mismatch between aperture ring setting and digital aperture readout on the camera. I never saw a mismatch on my 645D's in nearly 4 years of shooting them with all kinds of A, FA and DA 645 lenses. So it's clearly not something inherent in the digital adaptation of the 645 mount on the 645D that is forcing the mismatch seen now on the Z. Perhaps the manual footnote is referring to adapted lens use, e.g. 67-to-645 or other situations where the camera can't be expected to figure out what's going on with the lens.

Also not all lenses that matched fine on the D mismatch on the Z, further indicating it's nothing inherent in the lens mount. Those that do mismatch, show it when the camera is in M, B or X modes. But set it to any of the other modes (P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, U3, U2 or U1) and the manual aperture ring setting reads correctly on the digital readout. So it's clearly not even something about the 645Z's version of the lens mount that makes it incapable of reading the aperture ring. IMO it's just a little firmware bug.

Setting aperture via the camera control e-dials doesn't work for many situations I'm in, because I exposure bracket extensively. I need to control aperture setting and lock it in while the shutter speed varies; the auto-aperture modes of the camera will change aperture during AEB which is not the behavior I want. Using modes like Av also doesn't work because I do a lot of pano's, and I don't want the camera meter adjusting the base exposure as I rotate around various positions with variable lighting impacting the metering. I'm a bit old school... I mostly shoot the camera in manual, aperture manually set, shutter speed manually set, etc. If they can do a minor tweak to the Z to get it back to recognizing the proper aperture ring value, I'll be back to where I was with the D. As it is now I shoot it the way I need to and just have to remember that the aperture recorded in EXIF is wrong.

I have had no further AF issues with my Z, which replaced the one where the phase detect AF was completely inoperable out of the box. So far so good on the 2nd body.

Good to hear about the difference in attitude re: firmware updates under Ricoh. This may be one concrete area where the greater resource base of Ricoh pays off in the short term, vs. the old Hoya version of things.