Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645Z and ColorChecker

I received my 645Z a few days ago and immediately started familiarizing myself with it. I have read some of the issues here, like in Manual Mode the Fstop changes, I have not have that or any other issues Ive read so far occur. But then, so far I have only Two Lenses, the 25mm and the 90mm.

What I DID find surprising is that I cant seem to get my ColorChecker software in Lightroom to recognize the file. Went back to my Canon files and no problem. Neither PEF or DNG works.Error code is: Insufficient memory in function cvAlloc.. But this ONLY happens with the 645Z files...

Dragging a DNG file directly into the Stand-Alone Colorchecker Software reconizes the file and produces a Camera Calibration,

Anyone else have this problem?

07-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by RobertH Quote
I received my 645Z a few days ago and immediately started familiarizing myself with it. I have read some of the issues here, like in Manual Mode the Fstop changes, I have not have that or any other issues Ive read so far occur. But then, so far I have only Two Lenses, the 25mm and the 90mm.

What I DID find surprising is that I cant seem to get my ColorChecker software in Lightroom to recognize the file. Went back to my Canon files and no problem. Neither PEF or DNG works.Error code is: Insufficient memory in function cvAlloc.. But this ONLY happens with the 645Z files...

Dragging a DNG file directly into the Stand-Alone Colorchecker Software reconizes the file and produces a Camera Calibration,

Anyone else have this problem?
Sorry, I cannot help you.
I would be very interested if someone tell me how to colorbalance photos quicker specially using Capture One. Process in LR was paintful and Capture One is impossible. I own ColorCheckr Passport and dust is sitting on it until Capture One integrated it right way :-(
07-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like Lightroom isn't giving the Color Check plugin the memory it needs to do it's thing. Try making the test target a bit smaller in your calibration shot and then cropping in Lightroom, oh maybe 50% before you run the color checker plugin.

If that doesn't work, you could create a fall back profile for each of your lenses. The Dual Illumination profile feature of the standalone CCPP software is actually great for this.
07-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the Color Checker Passport with my 645D and it's fine. The average file size when open is around 225MB. I've got 6GB or RAM.

07-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Sounds like Lightroom isn't giving the Color Check plugin the memory it needs to do it's thing. Try making the test target a bit smaller in your calibration shot and then cropping in Lightroom, oh maybe 50% before you run the color checker plugin.

If that doesn't work, you could create a fall back profile for each of your lenses. The Dual Illumination profile feature of the standalone CCPP software is actually great for this.
Thanks, I thought of that, cropped it while in Lightroom, but I guess it still retains the original size. I will take a few images at the lower resolution to check to see if that is indeed the problem. I read very little so far about the dual Illumination, got to read up on that more. I DID a test dragging a DNG file into the colorchecker stand alone, and it worked, but then tried to do another one and it didnt. Its Suppose to work in Lightroom...Ill also try the software that came with the 645Z and see what happens. I will update here soon as thats tried, Thank you

---------- Post added 07-29-14 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I use the Color Checker Passport with my 645D and it's fine. The average file size when open is around 225MB. I've got 6GB or RAM.
Thank you, working on it more, I have 16 GB of Ram,and a very fast computer, but still. Thank you
07-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
P645Z and Lightroom Colorchecker

Well, I found a solution, Had to download the Adobe digital Negative Converter ( they have for Mac and Win), now version 8.5. Its another step in the processing, but unfortunely until Lightroom updates, its the only way I found.
After you download your files to Lightroom go ahead and close it out. Find the folder its in and Open it, Get each image that has the colorchecker, easier one at a time for me, and right click it, select Edit with External Program, Select the Converter, the file will open in that program, and just follow the instructions. Then when you open LR it should be there. It also addresses the white balance. If when you select Edit with External Program and dont see the Digital Negative Converter,,,, Add it.
Aloha
08-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #7
gkb

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport standalone version 1.0.2 won't do it under Mac OS 10.9.4, also not with the Lightroom 5.6 module. In the standalone version the fields are automatic recognized and perfect alligned, but a warning appears, that the profile can not be created because the target might be too small within the picture or might not be recognized etc. Exposure is spot on, in camera white balance perfect, placement of the target in different sizes, all did not help. With Adobe DNG Profile Editor I can create a DNG profile for the 645Z, no problem.

GG

Attached Images

08-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
gkb

I contacted X-Rite support and they are aware of ColorChecker Passport having problems with files from high resolution cameras, so improvment is in the works. They asked me to send them files from the 645Z what I did.

G
08-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you gkb,,,,, so I wonder how all those Phase One Hasselblad folks did it. I guess they didn't use Lightroom. The only way I can create a profile is to take the image in DNG format and use the Colorchecker Stand Alone Program. Lot of work when your doing so many different images.
08-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
gkb

can you create a profil with two files from different lights for the 645Z? I can't. With single light files it works the DNG route 1 out of 20 attempts maybe. No reliable way that I have found on my MacPro Mac 10.9.4 with plenty of RAM.
08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #11

I am going to try out the profiles from these guys: Huelight Camera Profiles
08-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just out of curiosity, what is meant by "color accuracy"? How do we know it if we see it, and can we see it? I'd like to hear from some other forums members.

Full disclosure, I make a little money doing fine arts repro, and hope to make some more in the coming years, and have been shooting artwork since the 1980's. So I do have an idea about what it could mean to have "accuracy". Also, my wife( a curator of Asian ceramics) and I(artist, independent curator of contemporary art) have a library of between 300-400 art books---those big fat ones with all the plates, and few of them , if any, do I trust to have "accurate" color, and we both work in museums where the lighting ranges from OK to appalling (IMO), and I actually wonder if any of us as humans actually see the same scene the same way. So, in asking this question I'm sort of trying to unleash the ants at a picnic.....
09-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
... and I actually wonder if any of us as humans actually see the same scene the same way. So, in asking this question I'm sort of trying to unleash the ants at a picnic.....
One of the differences I've noticed is that different viewers 'auto white balance' in their heads to different degrees.

Photographers that are used to dealing with white balance are the most picky, where as casual observers may or may not see or care if colours wander around a bit, even when it's pointed out to them.

It's when there is a familiar colour in the shot it's tougher; things like accent colours at weddings, a favourite car, or someones skin tones. Those should be 'right' - and by that I mean that when printed and held up to the original object under similar lighting should look identical to most folks.

But is my red the same as yours?

Turns out that retinas can be removed and compared (preferably post-mortem ), and the same frequencies of light excite the chemistry the same, given 'normal' subjects.

For those with some degree of color blindness... not so much.
09-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #14
Forum Member

I also can't get color checker to work on Win7 with 645z .dng files. Insufficient memory errors in both lightroom 5.6 and the standalone version.

All this after phaffing around in their support pages for an hour just to get it installed due to 2 known conflicts. Either they got their software perfect in version 1.2 or they haven't cared since 2010 when their last update occurred.

Not very impressed with X-rite. Expensive uselessness at the moment.

Last edited by rob8888; 09-08-2014 at 05:54 AM.
09-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

So X-rite aren't replying with anything useful despite prodding various contact points and twitter.

The only support I got to colorchecker choking on 645z files was from a chinese offie ->
QuoteQuote:
"Please downsize your DNG file below 30MP if you can, it will not change original color but can be processed fast."
1) I would love to know how to downsize a DNG file, and
2) any ideas on how do you get them to take any interest?

Rob