Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might be able to export the file as a 16-bit ProPhoto TIFF, resize, and then use Lightroom's "Copy as DNG" command to re-import the file. You might loose just a touch of color information, but ProPhoto is an enormous color space, and I don't think the swatches on the color checker fall that close to it's edge.

09-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Forum Member

645Z and ColorChecker

So a tweet from x-rite suggests there will be no help for at least a year! https://twitter.com/xritesupport/status/509446040194273280

Not very impressed. It would useful if other users could apply some pressure too. Thanks.

Last edited by rob8888; 09-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.
09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Aloha everyone, While I still cant get Lightroom to work with colorchecker passport, I CAN use the Stand Alone Version, IT WORKS.
First, if you need to convert the file toa DNG, use the Adobe DNG Converter, I simply put the exe file on my Desktop.
Or take a photo as a DNG file of Your Color Checker, (The Large colorchecher card is better if you can) .
Another thing I did was make a Folder with the DNG Files, makes it simpler for me.
Once You have a DNG file, simply drag it to the StandAlone ColorChecker program, It MIGHT ask you to work it manually, Very easy to do., Just place the marks in the proper corners, and Bingo, it generates the the proper Calibration, DO Not forget to give it a name, It will appear in Lightroom. Good Luck, RH
09-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Forum Member

645Z and ColorChecker

Hi Robert

Thanks. This doesn't work for me with the plugin or standalone - both throw the same insufficient memory error. I wonder what system you're running? I'm using Win7 64bit with 16Gb ram.
Regards, Rob

Last edited by rob8888; 09-09-2014 at 09:08 PM.
09-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #20

Original Poster
rob888
Maybe it has to do with Win7, My 64bit system is also 16Gb ram, but Im using Windows8, which Until just now, I hated. Perhaps an upgrade! I asked Frank Doorhof a Photographer, Instructor at last weeks NAPP PhotoWorld convention what he used, well heck, he has a Phase One, so for that camera, different program. Oh well. I might explore the program that came with the 645Z, never installed it as of yet
Best of luck,
09-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobertH Quote
rob888
Maybe it has to do with Win7, My 64bit system is also 16Gb ram, but Im using Windows8, which Until just now, I hated. Perhaps an upgrade! I asked Frank Doorhof a Photographer, Instructor at last weeks NAPP PhotoWorld convention what he used, well heck, he has a Phase One, so for that camera, different program. Oh well. I might explore the program that came with the 645Z, never installed it as of yet
Best of luck,
Maybe. Given the fact X-Rite haven't updated it since Windows 3.1 (I'm exaggerating a little) then possibly not. I'm loathe to upgrade just to find out.

I haven't loaded the Pentax software either. Be interested to know what its like.
09-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #22

Original Poster
Rob8888 and friends, I loaded the pentax software, either its lacking a whole heck of a lot, or I'm a dunce, ,,,,Im no dunce... The software is basic for all Pentax cameras, not just the Medium Format, and its VERY basic. I think Elements is better, I use Lightroom myself, but was hoping their software was specifically for the 645D/Z as is the software for Hassleblad and Phase one, etc. I'm deleting it.
RH

12-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, I used to be able to use the CCPP with file from my 645D without any issue, but now it's giving me insufficient memory errors. Not sure what happened, I'll have to contact X-Rite support. But before I do that I'm going to uninstall/reinstall the software.
12-29-2014, 04:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just created a profile from within Lightroom 5 with an old image of a passport that I made with my 645D earlier this year. It completed no problem.

I will take an image of the passport with my 645Z in the morning and test it then report back.

I am using a 2014 Mac Pro 6-core with 64GB ram.

Regards, Scott
12-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

This is odd. I've tried to make a profile using a DNG taken at ISO1600 and slightly underexposed and got the "insufficient memory" error. I then tried to create a profile using an image that I've successfully made a profile in the past, and it worked. There's something going on with the high-ISO file...
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok so I have tested this morning with the 645Z.

Both the Lightroom Plugin and the X-Rite standalone editor both fail to make a profile.

However, the Adobe DNG Profile editor works just fine. You open the DNG in the application, select the 4 corners, take a quick look at the colour table then save it as a profile.

Very simple and appears to work just fine. Adds quite a bit of colour richness back into the files.

Link below to the mac download for the DNG profile maker.

Adobe - DNG Profile Editor : For Macintosh : DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 : Thank You

Cheers, Scott
12-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Just make the photo of the chart like half the size of the screen of less, just don't fill the screen, it works, the software seems to auto crop. I told them already that cameras like these do not have an option to make smaller RAW files. I would not keep my hopes on them releasing a new version.
12-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

When I use the software with files less than 40MB (closed) it works, but the two files that are at 67MB (closed) failed.
The other common thing with the 40MB files is that the color checker was a fairly small portion of the overall image. With the files that are failing, I got in very close and filled the frame with the color checker.

So it would appear that the easy fix is to just not get too close to the color checker.
12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #29

Just use the Standalone. It works fine. However, I am less than certain about the product. My dead-flat overcast profile adds a lot of colour saturation, but perhaps more than is accurate, and my attempts at profiles in studio lighting have yielded awful results. Is anyone having luck producing *really* good profiles?

Btw - Adobe Standard V1 in LR and ACR is crap. They have updated it - I believe that's now public. V2 is much better.

- N.

- N.
12-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Just use the Standalone. It works fine. However, I am less than certain about the product. My dead-flat overcast profile adds a lot of colour saturation, but perhaps more than is accurate, and my attempts at profiles in studio lighting have yielded awful results. Is anyone having luck producing *really* good profiles?

Btw - Adobe Standard V1 in LR and ACR is crap. They have updated it - I believe that's now public. V2 is much better.

- N.
I don't own the Z, but I have had the experience of creating some bad profiles in the past in the studio with the color checker. The single most important thing is to make sure you have spot-on exposure. I am a religious user of a Sekonic 758, but for this particular application, I would recommend a high quality gray card. Here's what I do:

Set up your studio lights, but make sure you have even illumination from side to side, and top to bottom. I use a massive 4'x6' softbox to illuminate my little color checker, it's almost comical. Then, set up an easel or something to hold your gray card and color checker. Take a test shot of the gray card, and check the histogram, and adjust your aperture/iso until the gray spike is absolutely dead center. I go so far as to switch out of my default 1/2 stop increments to 1/3 stop (if it gets me closer), and even reposition the light until that spike is as centered as possible. Then I take my profile shot of the color checker. Using the gray card in the position of the color checker eliminates any possible operator error with the light meter, or difference between theoretical f-stops, and effective T-stops of the lens.

Another explanation for what you might be seeing is that it's a psycho-visual phenomenon called retinal fatigue. Think about if you've ever worn a pair of amber sunglasses for a while, and then taken them off, and everything looks blue. A similar thing happens when you are looking at an image, and then say... change the color profile. Even though, as you rightly point out, Adobe Standard is crap, if that's the default profile that gets applied to your photos on import, your brain may 'accept as true' those colors, and when you switch to the color checker profile, your brain may believe that it's too colorful. Or not. It very well may be too colorful.

The best way to judge it is to apply the color-checker-created profile, and then walk away from your monitor for about 5 minutes, come back and look again. It's also helpful to hold the physical color checker next to an image that contains a shot of the color checker, perhaps in the context of a real world scene, or say studio headshot of the subject holding the target.

Hope there is some food for thought in there. (I realize that this whole explanation is like the freshman trying to lecture the PhD)