Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

645z sensor cleaning

Anyone had a go yet? What's your best advice and or preferred equipment? Regards Rob

07-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like any other sensor: use dust removal first, then the rocket blower, then methods requiring physical contact, and finally professional cleaning if all else fails. After shooting with it for a month I haven't noticed any dust, and that's with fairly frequent lens swapping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks mate. I regularly clean my 35mm FF sensors, but given the bigger sensor, much deeper shutter box (and possibly no AA filter may or may not be relevant) I was wondering if anyone has got any helpful specific advice on gear or technique?
07-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have yet to physically clean mine either.. Only the Dust removal option to see how it goes. I have Been using my 645z quite heavily for the past three weeks with frequent lens swaps... No dust yet! Im curious to know how people go with manual cleans too.

07-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be the same as the 645D. Dust removal first with camera positioned level. Followed by a rocket blower. And then a 35mm full frame sensor swab. You will need to use two. Wipe one straight down then wipe the second one straight down moving over. There are no swabs made large enough for the sensor.

Don't try to use just one and wipe twice. You want the overlapping of the swipes. Think a squeegee on your car window. if you want it perfect you wipe once then use the towel to start clean again and overlap for the second pass...
07-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

jąger, the swiss Pentax service center, has always reccomended me to clean the 645D sensor using the Pentax cleaning kit , avoiding all liquid system....
07-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

I had done plenty with the 645z in Africa. I would go with mapping the dust positions first on the 645z. the most accurate being putting the cap on the lens and letting it take a 30s exposure at F22. When you got your positions, in a dust free environment, open the sensor and use a blower first. Thereafter, use the Pentax cleaning kit or else use the dust aid or eyelead (the one for the sony sensors). I would not advice wet cleaning unless you have a stubborn dust particle stuck to the sensor (which requires special wet cleaning kits) and you should be ok.

07-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a few dust bunnies that wouldn't go away after using the 645D's in-camera dust removal system, nor did the Rocket blower do any good. So I bought the Visible Dust wet solution and swabs which did the trick. Although, I have a sneaky suspicion that the $22 8ml bottle of VDust Plus is nothing more than isopropyl alcohol ($2.50 for 473ml at any drugstore) as the contents are clearly written on the bottle.
08-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I found a couple stubborn dust spots on my 645Z sensor, I used the in camera sensor clean but no success. I then opted for a Air duster (compressed air in a can). Which seems to have completely removed all of the tough dust spots.

Does any one know on the645z if you can only get a dust reading (.jpg picture of affected area's) when dust is present. Seems like the option to see isn't always available.
08-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I found a couple stubborn dust spots on my 645Z sensor, I used the in camera sensor clean but no success. I then opted for a Air duster (compressed air in a can). Which seems to have completely removed all of the tough dust spots.

Does any one know on the645z if you can only get a dust reading (.jpg picture of affected area's) when dust is present. Seems like the option to see isn't always available.
Be careful with the compressed air. they are generally advised against use by manufacturers.
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Be careful with the compressed air. they are generally advised against use by manufacturers.
Yes believe me I was very careful, I didn't give it too much of a spray.. only targeting the two area's that were the problem with a long narrow needle nozzle. Still its always slightly nerving cleaning the sensor of a 10k camera.
08-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With my 645D and Leica S2 I use Visible dust sensor brushes, rocket blowers merely re-distribute the dust somewhere else inside the camera. The electrostatic attraction of the visible dust brushes allows you to physically remove dust. Things like pollen which tend to adhere to surfaces call for wet cleaning - which is a tedious process but it is the only way they can be removed.
08-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #13

As I said, Pentax assistance prevented me from wet cleaning use, saying that liquids could leave some kind of 'patina' on sensor... Using the Pentax lollipop (in a appropriate way) I never had problems and, luckily enough, I never found spots I could not remove....
08-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rosario_CH Quote
As I said, Pentax assistance prevented me from wet cleaning use, saying that liquids could leave some kind of 'patina' on sensor... Using the Pentax lollipop (in a appropriate way) I never had problems and, luckily enough, I never found spots I could not remove....
They say this because they have no control over what everybody uses for wet cleaning. If you use a quality wet cleaning solution there will be no dissolved solids in the solution to leave a residue. There are times when you have no other choice. But as said, it is a last resort.