Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
What you are saying is that for a cheaper price you are prepared to accept some compromises.

I am saying that I don't want any compromises and are prepared to pay for it.

Two different requirements.

Scott
There will always be compromises. It's unrealistic to ask for none, otherwise you would have a 100 f/0.95 in 645 guise. There will be tradeoffs for size, weight, curvature, sharpness, distortion and CA.

Regardless of price point there will always be compromises.

08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope the 4.5 speed keeps the price under 5k. Interesting that the 25mm no longer appears on the road map, I can only think that is a result of poor sales. Clearly the 645D sold well, so it seems safe to conclude that the 25mm was overpriced for this market. Unfortunately for Pentax, they are competing agaist their own inexpensive used lenses. From a marketing/sales view, if the lens is under 5k, I suspect most of us would purchase it ; at 8k maybe only Scott.
08-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #18
Forum Member

Clearly when compared to the ancient film-era lenses, the 25mm is overpriced (and is one reason why I'm sending mine back). But their 90mm is also nearly 5K, and it is a much easier and cheaper lens to produce then a top-quality wide-angle zoom, which is unlike any other medium-format manufacturer has ever produced before. The ultimate success will depend on the image quality - and with their flagship body now being 50mp and wanting to compete with the big boy brands, I would expect this lens to be stellar across the board. Let's hope so, as it will also give an indication of what future lenses will bring.
08-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
I hope the 4.5 speed keeps the price under 5k. Interesting that the 25mm no longer appears on the road map, I can only think that is a result of poor sales. Clearly the 645D sold well, so it seems safe to conclude that the 25mm was overpriced for this market. Unfortunately for Pentax, they are competing agaist their own inexpensive used lenses. From a marketing/sales view, if the lens is under 5k, I suspect most of us would purchase it ; at 8k maybe only Scott.

Zoom lenses sell in much larger quantities than a prime like the 25mm. Not only its focal lenght but also it size and weight make the 25mm not that interesting for many. A zoom lens is many lenses in one. Size and weight is more acceptable for this reason.
The price of the 25mm may be due to its limited production volumes....
We can at least hope for a somewhat lower price for the zoom....

08-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
What a message we are sending to Pentax. They will charge as much as people are prepared to pay and on a Pentax forum, we are talking it up! I'll keep hoping for around the equivalent of £2k. It shouldn't be harder to make than the 25 f/4, and will most likely have some compromises made to make the optical formula to work.

Isn't a wide angle zoom much more costly and difficult to produce than a wide angle prime?? I'm guessing it will surely be over $5K, but under $8K...I'd say $6995 or $7495. I already have the 25 and 35 and do like them both, especially the 35, so I don't know that I'd pick up this lens at first...perhaps used once I can get it for a few thousand less
08-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
Clearly when compared to the ancient film-era lenses, the 25mm is overpriced (and is one reason why I'm sending mine back). But their 90mm is also nearly 5K, and it is a much easier and cheaper lens to produce then a top-quality wide-angle zoom, which is unlike any other medium-format manufacturer has ever produced before. The ultimate success will depend on the image quality - and with their flagship body now being 50mp and wanting to compete with the big boy brands, I would expect this lens to be stellar across the board. Let's hope so, as it will also give an indication of what future lenses will bring.
I wouldn't be altogether certain that Pentax/Ricoh is trying to compete with big boy brands like Phase One and hasselblad. Yes they are competing on the ones with the same/similar sensor to an extent, but I suspect that the main crowd that Ricoh is appealing to are people like me - Those that are looking for a bit more than what 35mm can offer, but not prepared (risk a divorce) to go for the best that the big boys can offer.

Am I interested in the 28-45? Yep! Would I sell the 25 to get it? Hmmm not sure. Each mm is more valuable at the wide end than at the narrower end, so I would be tempted to keep mine. Yes, it's heavy. It's expensive too. But 25 - 28mm can be quite a difference, hence why I have the 14-24 nikkor for my D800E and not the 16 - 35.
08-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thinking back to photographing the Virgin River Narrows in Zion NP, a 28-45 would be an AWESOME lens, as I wouldn't have to swap lenses over rushing water and would really only need one lens!
08-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Isn't a wide angle zoom much more costly and difficult to produce than a wide angle prime??
Not neccesarily. It is the front element(s) that cost money. The extra correcting elements in a zoom lens aren't very expensive. The added complexity is probably not very costly either judging from the many complex consumer zooms on the market.
we can hope....

08-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not neccesarily. It is the front element(s) that cost money. The extra correcting elements in a zoom lens aren't very expensive. The added complexity is probably not very costly either judging from the many complex consumer zooms on the market.
we can hope....

Indeed - especially with all these high price suggestions....It isn't a wide zoom range in 35mm equivalent terms - I know mf has its differences, but the ratio isn't as big as the nikkor 16-35, so while it will be considerably more expensive than the 16-35, I'm hoping it won't be as expensive as the 25 f/4.
08-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I will be selling my DFA 90mm Macro to buy the wide angle zoom, and will replace it with most likely an 80-160 until the new 80-160 comes out.

I know it won't be over 5k for the 28-45, pentax need more people jumping into the system and an 8k wide will not achieve that.

If it's cut from the same cloth as the 90 then it will be excellent. I am guessing it will be the same price as the 90, just under 5k.

We don't have any influence here on what price they make this new lens. The sales and planning dept set the price and the engineers make then lens to a price as best they can.
08-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not neccesarily. It is the front element(s) that cost money. The extra correcting elements in a zoom lens aren't very expensive.
I have never heard this before. Is this because of the use of high index Lanthanum or Barium crowns or other expensive exotic glasses? What you are saying is certainly true in Pentax ED lenses where expensive low index, low dispersion glass is combined with expensive high index glass up front.
08-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351hd Quote
what you are saying is that for a cheaper price you are prepared to accept some compromises.

I am saying that i don't want any compromises and are prepared to pay for it.

Two different requirements.

Scott
amen brother. Make it comparable to the leica s zoom and charge us for it !!!!
08-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
I am so glad that somebody agrees.

Cheers.
08-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I think its going to be expensive. There is probably $1000 in shipping cost alone as the lens is so heavy....
08-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote

Yep, if they're going to make a wide angle zoom, make it right!