Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I am very tempted to get this hopefully will be available in Tokyo when I get there. I have problems now with the 55-110 -it won't focus to infinity even in manual....Missed some shots on approach to Heathrow as a result.

08-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #47
Pentaxian

The 55-100 zoom for the 67 is proven for both the 67 and "D" and so probably the Z as well. It was one of the more recent designs for the 67.
08-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Mine is the FA645 55-110 which is less highly regarded
08-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
I agree. People ask how I can tolerate the weight of the 645 system. When I ask what they routinely haul around, especially those shooting Canikon 35mm systems, it's not unusual to find out their net weight is comparable to or even heavier than what I carry. I typically use a ThinkTank shoulder bag that isn't too large, and becomes uncomfortable on the shoulder if I over-stuff it. So I (mostly) don't do that. Folks who shoot out of camera packs often simply have a lot more gear stuffed in there.

In June, I was 3 weeks in Iceland with a pair of 645D's and a selection of 5 lenses. (Well, one of the 645D's had a shutter failure near the beginning of the trip, so it stayed in luggage.) I carried and used the kit almost every day; sometimes for long hours. This included a 12-day stretch where the shooting mostly went on for 12 - 18 hours a day outside of meal breaks (and rain breaks). Would I have liked to have a lighter rig? Sure. But I wanted to shoot and get the images from the 645, not something else that didn't have the same shooting experience or resulting image "look" and quality.

So I live with the weight and sometimes dial my lens selection down to a different subset in the bag, on given days. It's eminently doable. Oh, I'm no physical 1-percenter, either. I'm probably well past my midlife crisis point even before buying into the Pentax 645 system , and I'm not in the shape I could be (arguably, "should be"). Like others have said, I like and want to shoot the Pentax 645 system more than anything else I've used in digital since around 2002. Weight savings is not the reason I pick up the D or the Z.

Even the purchase price of the kit is something that I just need to work around. Most of my kit is older A and FA lenses, and I'm happy with them all. The DA 25mm was a unique optic with capability I needed and couldn't get in any other package, so I added it. I didn't particularly like the D-FA 55mm and the FA 45-85mm was optically more than good enough @ 55mm, so I passed on the D-FA 55mm. It wasn't mainly a price issue, the lens just didn't do anything for me, even if it had been $50.

I do like the D-FA 90mm a lot but can't justify it right now so I'm holding off. The new DA 28-45mm is also pretty unique, and if it's good enough it might eliminate the need for my A and FA 35mm lenses. (Not the 25mm, though I may not need to carry the 25mm as often as before.) Either way, the new zoom is very attractive for my type of work so I may have to plan it into the mix... in which case I'll just deal with the weight and cost and go on being happy to shoot the system and get the results it gives me.
So Royce, how did you take all that gear on the plane? Doesn't Icelandair have low carry-on limits?

08-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #50

Icelandair bumped up their carry-on limits, I think about a year ago. For the "economy comfort" class of ticket, the limit is two carry-on bags up to 10kg each, plus a small personal item. Even the pure economy class ticket went up to a 10kg carry-on bag (used to be 5kg) plus a "small personal item, such as small hand bag or laptop" of unspecified weight. It's tight but 2 645D's and a small set of lenses, ultrabook and portable backup drives, plus a few other essentials fit within the limit. Tripod, head and numerous items that were less essential to hand carry went into checked baggage.

There are still airlines with super restrictive weight limits, ones that don't let you pay a weight penalty to take the stuff on. If I hit one of them, I'll just have to work within the limit...
08-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Icelandair bumped up their carry-on limits, I think about a year ago. For the "economy comfort" class of ticket, the limit is two carry-on bags up to 10kg each, plus a small personal item. Even the pure economy class ticket went up to a 10kg carry-on bag (used to be 5kg) plus a "small personal item, such as small hand bag or laptop" of unspecified weight. It's tight but 2 645D's and a small set of lenses, ultrabook and portable backup drives, plus a few other essentials fit within the limit. Tripod, head and numerous items that were less essential to hand carry went into checked baggage.

There are still airlines with super restrictive weight limits, ones that don't let you pay a weight penalty to take the stuff on. If I hit one of them, I'll just have to work within the limit...
I use British Airways - Hand carry on weight limit? 23kg provided you can lift it yourself into the overhead bin. They never weigh them. They cane strict on size though - certain outposts will make you put the case in the gauge.
08-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #52

I went to Iceland last fall, flew economy, and they were weighing those bags pretty tight. I was carrying two Nikon bodies and glass and got on a kilo heavy but I smiled nicely at the counter lady and she let me walk. Still wish I had taken the 645D. Next spring, maybe.

08-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #53
Forum Member

I always wear a photo vest when flying so if there is a carry on weight issue I just put a couple lenses in the vest to lighten the carry on, then put them back in the bag once on board. There does not seem to be any weight restrictions on people or their clothing.
08-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I put the camera plus the 25 f/4 on the shoulder strap when things are tight with weight