Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
645Z - DOF Preview in Live View?

Just curious, can you use the DOF preview along with Live View?

Also, does the 645Z take less time to bring up images after taking them/save them and empty the buffer faster than the 645D does?

07-31-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #2

Yes, the 645Z is much faster to bring up images, move between them, and to empty the buffer. Compared to the 645D, the Z is substantially faster at pretty well everything. It usually didn't bother me or prevent me from getting the photographs I wanted, but I was always conscious of the D being a slow mover. Now with the Z, shooting, reviewing and everything else feels a lot smoother, snappier and more responsive. I'm rarely conscious of the camera being busy while I'm trying to do something with it. Pretty much the only time it happens now is if I shoot a longer burst and then instantly try to review; it does still take a bit of time to clear the buffer and bring up the first image.

Live View with DOF preview also works, I think exactly how one would hope. Go into Live View (fit-to-screen or zoomed in), trigger DOF preview, and then scroll around the frame checking focus and DOF. Adjust manual focus and/or aperture and see the effect immediately. One small annoyance -- on FA lenses, if you're already in magnified Live View and pull the focus ring to switch from AF to MF, Live View throws away your magnified view and puts you back into fit-to-screen view. You have to re-engage magnification and scroll back to where you were. Not a big deal but it is an odd little design choice in the way Live View works.
07-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

How do you trigger DOF preview, I was trying to do that the other day?
07-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's the on button, just hold it past 'on' and it closes the aperture to your setting, you have to hold it down on the 635D, not sure on the Z

07-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

The DOF preview control works the same way on the 645Z as on the D.
07-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also in the 645D, it needs to be enabled in the menu; if memory serves, the default is a preview exposure.
07-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just read the manual, needs to be changed to "optical preview" in the menu.

Great feature, was one of my complaints but now it's not!

Scott