Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

This is what Pentax should do

Hi there,

I have just received the British Journal of Photography weekly e-mail and one of the equipment previews relates to a new piece of Hasselblad equipment; namely a digital back for the older, V series of cameras (Swedish company goes 'back to the future' by releasing the CFV-50c CMOS digital back for its V System cameras)

Hopefully, Pentax will see the light and introduce a digital back for the 645. Personally, I think they missed a winner by not having done so. There are a lot of manual 654 cameras out there and I for one would love to use mine with a digital back. And the body already comes with a battery pack built-in. But now it just resides in a box, worth next to nothing!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rex

08-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking from a business perspective, why would Pentax spend all the money and time doing R&D for a product that competes with the 645D and 645Z and basically does the same thing?
08-01-2014, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hasselblad is also competing "with itself" if you put it that way. But I don't think its a problem, those are different segments of customers.
What would be even cooler is if Pentax would resurrect the 67 system in some way. Without crop factor.
08-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What would be the point, besides nostalgia and Ricoh having to fight with the issue of building digital "film inserts" for old cameras?
The 645D and 645Z are the proper "digital backs", not for your old cameras but for your lenses. And they're cheaper than Hasselblad's backs.

08-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rekusu Quote
Hi there,

I have just received the British Journal of Photography weekly e-mail and one of the equipment previews relates to a new piece of Hasselblad equipment; namely a digital back for the older, V series of cameras (Swedish company goes 'back to the future' by releasing the CFV-50c CMOS digital back for its V System cameras)

Hopefully, Pentax will see the light and introduce a digital back for the 645. Personally, I think they missed a winner by not having done so. There are a lot of manual 654 cameras out there and I for one would love to use mine with a digital back. And the body already comes with a battery pack built-in. But now it just resides in a box, worth next to nothing!

Rex
The problem is that all expensive parts of a Pentax 645z will also be in the digital back, so a digital back will be priced similar to the 645z.
The big advantage of designing a camera instead of digital back is that all functions in the camera will be much better integrated and will allow much more functionality.
08-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Pentax should develop and release new, made for digital, lenses for the 645z (and NOT price them like Leica lenses). The 645z is a great body looking for lenses.
I would suggest starting with a 30mm wide angle with 82mm filter thread so that it's easy to filter. Edge to edge quality is a must.
Next a 85mm f2 lens should be awesome for portraits and general use in low light.
Next a 120mm f2.8 lens should also be great for portraits.

Also, $4500 for the 90mm lens? Pentax puleaze. It should be priced also at $2500 max.
The 25mm is also overpriced and its hard to filter. (front)

With those simple recommendations pentax would sell a heck of a lot more 645z's for sure.
08-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hasselblad's recent announcement caught just about everyone off guard, most people thought the company had totally abandoned the V system. Before this new product there were already at least 4 existing abiet older, digital backs as well as 4 different backs for 120 film, a couple for 220 film, one for 35mm and one for 70mm film. The Pentax 645 film cameras were never a system in the way that Hasselblad V system were in that every part of the camera but the mirrior could be removed and replaced by the user.

08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken R Quote
Pentax should develop and release new, made for digital, lenses for the 645z (and NOT price them like Leica lenses). The 645z is a great body looking for lenses.
I would suggest starting with a 30mm wide angle with 82mm filter thread so that it's easy to filter. Edge to edge quality is a must.
Next a 85mm f2 lens should be awesome for portraits and general use in low light.
Next a 120mm f2.8 lens should also be great for portraits.

Also, $4500 for the 90mm lens? Pentax puleaze. It should be priced also at $2500 max.
The 25mm is also overpriced and its hard to filter. (front)

With those simple recommendations pentax would sell a heck of a lot more 645z's for sure.
An 85 f/2 would be fantastic, but if one were to come, it would be priced like a Leica for sure. The DOF would be minuscule, and I suspect it would be fairly heavy also.
08-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cost to develop the back just to get a notable mention is probably better spent on marketing 654z and developing lenses. 654z has caught a lot of people's attention so they just need to keep rolling with that.
08-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rekusu Quote
Hopefully, Pentax will see the light and introduce a digital back for the 645.

Rex
I figure THAT was the first thing they considered, years ago, when they first started working on what was to become the 645D. If it could have been done feasibly, with the 645NII, I'm sure they would have.

Rather than let my 645N collect dust, I sold it, but kept the lenses in anticipation of being able to afford the 645D. I now use my 67II for film. Time moved on. My savings grew. The 645Z was announced, and after considerable effort, UPS will deliver it next week.

Good luck.

PS - I'll cross my fingers for Na Horuk's 67D/Z or whatever it might be called. After all, a boy's gotta have a dream...
08-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #11

I think Pentax should be working on a mirrorless MFD for the next 645 iteration. Improving the video should be a second priority (although the needs of the professional videographer seem to be at odds with those of the still photographer, if the TCS-TV review of the Z is indicative). EVF's have come a long way and will only be better. Photographers would still be able to use the articulating rear screen to verify critical focus.

Creating a digital back for the film 645's would be a technical challenge that wouldn't seem to be worth the effort because getting the cost below that of buying a full digital 645 may not be possible. Additionally, the compromises of adapting a digital back to a film camera not designed for interchangeable backs could diminish the retro experience.
08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #12

Wow, the New 28-45mm wide angle zoom lens really helps making the 645z a serious contender for landscape and architecture. Changes the game for SURE.
08-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I wonder if the new zoom will be offered in a kit with the Z.
08-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I wonder if the new zoom will be offered in a kit with the Z.
I think it's priced way too high for that to happen but you never know.
08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the Hassy digital back is priced at about $15K. I use a 501C/M along with my 6x7 for medium format film, and I admit the new back is tempting. While it seems a good fit for all the V system bodies out there, I don't see it as a good idea for Pentax.
I used to want a digital back for my LX, but now the A7 fills that need nicely.