Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

don't have the 80, but the 150/4 T✯ is my sharpest and most detailed lens, on 645Z and D810.
cheers
Stephan

04-11-2015, 12:49 AM - 2 Likes   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by bileu Quote
Guys .. any opinions on how the 80/2.8 and 150/4 perform on modern pentax MF sensors? I have an opportunity to grab hold of older versions T* 80 and 150 lenses along with a 500CM body very cheap. There is no support system here locally to shoot MF film but I'll be able to use the lenses on my 645Z. Any experiences or opinions and comparisons with Pentax lenses would be great.
Bileu, you're not mentioning which generation of those lenses you're talking about.

There are e.g. C/CF/CFe versions of the 80mm lens and a CB version. The latter is optically different from the former, while the former distinguish just by their mechanics, flash sync sockets, shutters, coating and light baffles which should reduce flare.

The same applies to 150mm Zeiss lenses which are available as C/CF and CFi versions. The CFi generation is the latest has the best internal light baffles to reduce flare.

You can find plenty of information at www.hasselbladhistorical.eu.

I am using a CB80 and CFi100 lens on a Pentax 645D and like the rendering. The CB needs to be stopped down to f5.6 in order to reduce chromatic aberration, while the 150mm works almost flawless right from f4 (see my link above in this thread). I do prefer its rendering to the Pentax-A 150 f3.5. Considering weight and convenience the Pentax 150 wins with its built-in lens hood and low weight.

Comparing the CB80 to let say the Pentax-FA 75mm the situation is very similar. Convenience points go to the Pentax lens and rendering points to the Zeiss/Hasselblad lens.

You've been asking explicitly for the lens' performance of the 645z. I cannot comment on this, but using those old Hasselblad V-System lenses on a H5D-50c (probably the same sensor like in the 645z) I can tell you that these are not disappointing.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Udo
04-11-2015, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #18

My CF 250 T* worked flawlessly on my first outing. Example follows.

Name:  _P150821.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  229.8 KB
04-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #19

thank you so much for taking the time out and replying

the adapter will arrive in a week after which i'll borrow the whole kit and try it out for couple of days. will post the samples here along with further details on the lenses. from what i've seen it seems the lenses are older series. The shopkeeper bought them off in some lot along with other equipment and he is trying to sell the lenses off along with a canon adapter. I'll discuss here what are the details once i sit with him and get some info

cheers!

04-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #20

I´m curious about the performance of the DA645 28-45mm f/4.5 compare with the Zeiss 40 IF CFE . Anyone with experience using both lenses?
04-17-2015, 02:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neko Quote
I´m curious about the performance of the DA645 28-45mm f/4.5 compare with the Zeiss 40 IF CFE . Anyone with experience using both lenses?
Hello Neko,

I have the 28-45mm and is a fabulous lens indeed. I don't have the 40mm at hand to compare them, but as good as I remember the Zeiss to be, the new 28-45 is definitely up there if not better - to me is an amazing WA and up to the requirements of the 645Z's sensor. Plus, it goes down to 28mm and up to 45mm while the Zeiss obviously doesn't, allowing you some extra flexibility at no cost in IQ. On the cons side, the 28-45 is MASSIVE
04-17-2015, 03:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neko Quote
This is a comparison I'm interested in too, but one has the problem of finding the IF CFE version of the lens, and for a decent price. I've seen mint specimens around the net for some $2,500, which I think is a tad much for an adapted manual focus lens, I think it would do better justice using it on the camera/format it was intended for.

Reading about the 40 IF CFE on other forums I learned that it has complex distortion that earlier versions do not. I wonder how much of this would show on a crop sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Hello Neko,

I have the 28-45mm and is a fabulous lens indeed. I don't have the 40mm at hand to compare them, but as good as I remember the Zeiss to be, the new 28-45 is definitely up there if not better - to me is an amazing WA and up to the requirements of the 645Z's sensor. Plus, it goes down to 28mm and up to 45mm while the Zeiss obviously doesn't, allowing you some extra flexibility at no cost in IQ. On the cons side, the 28-45 is MASSIVE
Mind sharing a couple samples? For some reason every image shot with this lens that I see online is a horribly compressed JPEG or the people testing it somehow manage to ignore adding crops, and yet everyone goes on about how incredibly sharp this lens is.

For this being a high-end $5000 lens, it seems woefully underrepresented in terms of reviews and testing outside of word-of-mouth, I doubt many people would consider purchasing it without a solid reason to do so.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 04-17-2015 at 03:46 AM.
04-17-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #23

Agree with the "MASSIVE" comment. I have found though it is surprisingly well balanced on the 645Z especailly since the zoom knob is at the front end of the lens for left hand use. I tried it on the street (normally I shoot landscape-so tripod is normal for me) and found the aforementioned balance made it nice to walk around with. Keep in mind it weighs nearly the same as the 645Z.

I recently sold all my Hasselblad gear including an SWC and I find this lens every bit as good as any Hasselblad V lens and for me much better with its WA zoom capabilities, modern SDM, coating and weather sealing. I shoot in rain, wet weather and near ocean salt spray so this fits right into my needs.
04-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

It's big compared to primes, but is about the same weight as the Hassy 35-90mm and 300g lighter than the SK 40-80mm, all while being almost half the price of either of those, with constant aperture and SR to boot, but no leaf shutter.

Comparing the wide-normal zooms of the major MF players shows that the Pentax lens is fairly competitive in overall features.
04-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #25

Thanks guys for your insights,
My plan is to get the 28-45, the 90 macro and perhaps a second hand 250 superachromat. Our next project involves landscapes in Spain and Japan and we plan to shoot in rainy weather sometimes. So for us weather sealing is important.
In Japan you can get the 645z for 735000 yens ( about 6200 dollars). The lenses, too are much cheaper than here, in Europe. So I think we will take advantage of my lovely wife nationality and buy everything there. Besides the 645 system second hand market is huge in Japan. And in general they are honest people to deal with.
I have made my research and many people says that the 645z is a fine camera for landscapes. . Being a bird watcher myself , and accustomed to carry the tripod, the scope, binoculars in long hikes,the size and weight does not trouble me so much. I´m really looking forward to have that toy in my hands!

Last edited by neko; 04-18-2015 at 05:13 AM.
04-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote

Mind sharing a couple samples? For some reason every image shot with this lens that I see online is a horribly compressed JPEG or the people testing it somehow manage to ignore adding crops, and yet everyone goes on about how incredibly sharp this lens is.

For this being a high-end $5000 lens, it seems woefully underrepresented in terms of reviews and testing outside of word-of-mouth, I doubt many people would consider purchasing it without a solid reason to do so.
Hello Kolor-Pikker,

I am in Scotland travelling now, so you'll excuse me for not being able to post samples here, however you can see this post:

Valli di Comacchio & Delta del Po

discard all B&W images which have been shot with the Leica Monochrom, and look at the color images which have been shot with the 645z, 28-45mm, 55mm and 80-160mm; I am sorry for not being able to be more precise about which images have been shot with the 28-45mm, but I am pretty sure you'll be able to recognise which image has been shot with which lens for most of the images presented. I will post some 28-45mm images here as soon as I am back home with some time on my hands - will be in a week or so. More, I am working on a review of the lens - publication date is still TBA though. Until I'll be able to post it, I can tell you the 28-45mm is a wonderful lens, I have been in Scotland to teach two Workshops and some personal work for about two weeks now and have been using the 28-45mm happily for perhaps the 80-90% of my images here - again, sorry for not having more precise statistics but I haven't developed any image yet.

Hope this helps, and sorry again for not being of more help just now. Best,

Vieri
04-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #27

Vieri

Am confused as to why "discard all B&W images which have been shot with the Leica Monochrom". Can you explain more about this comment? TIA.
04-20-2015, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Vieri

Am confused as to why "discard all B&W images which have been shot with the Leica Monochrom". Can you explain more about this comment? TIA.
Since I was asked to post samples of the 28-45mm, and since all B&W images in the post I linked have been shot with the Leica Monochrom instead, I advised not to take them as samples of what the 28-45mm can do - hence, to discard them for the purpose at hand.
04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Since I was asked to post samples of the 28-45mm, and since all B&W images in the post I linked have been shot with the Leica Monochrom instead, I advised not to take them as samples of what the 28-45mm can do - hence, to discard them for the purpose at hand.
beautiful image set! really outstanding shots
04-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #30

Thanks for the link, Vieri. Gorgeous photos! Very romantic approach. I really love the way you work with water.
Since the 28-45 is a big lens, what kind of tripod-head setup do you use?