Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

First Look Video: HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR

Hi all, I came across this video today. The newly announced 28-45mm lens for the 645 system.
It looks BIG!

08-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is big- almost as heavy as the camera itself. Must be those 17 elements plus the SR!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

if you put wheels on it, you could call it a train. IMO, its getting a bit on the too big side.
08-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Holy smoke, that is INSANELY BIG. There is no way (unless I can shed 3 lbs without losing the muscles) that thing finds a place in my pack. I will first run some tests to see how much of IQ improvement we are talking about over the A or FA 35mm.

08-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ugh, hood doesn't seem to be removable. So gonna have to do custom hack up job on the filter holder to use rectangular filters. Guess it is a small disadvantage to a very very useful focal length range.
08-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Ugh, hood doesn't seem to be removable. So gonna have to do custom hack up job on the filter holder to use rectangular filters. Guess it is a small disadvantage to a very very useful focal length range.
The hood is listed as a separate item in the box. It is part number PH-RBC which I assume is modified from the PH-RBB used on the FA 33-55.
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

That was easy, too big for me. Nice lens though. Will stick with 55 and 35.
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

"If you are in a tighter space this 28 - 45 will be more versatile [than the 25mm]" Hmmm if you are in a tighter space wouldn't you need a WIDER lens? Also shooting lizards with a wide angle? Not really! I suspect one of the reasons it is so big is the SR. Ok SR is nice to have, I guess, but for a landscape photographer (who will be this lens' most frequent user) hardly necessary, and I would say most would swap SR for lighter weight and a 77mm front.

08-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
"If you are in a tighter space this 28 - 45 will be more versatile [than the 25mm]" Hmmm if you are in a tighter space wouldn't you need a WIDER lens? Also shooting lizards with a wide angle? Not really! I suspect one of the reasons it is so big is the SR. Ok SR is nice to have, I guess, but for a landscape photographer (who will be this lens' most frequent user) hardly necessary, and I would say most would swap SR for lighter weight and a 77mm front.
The SR should not really increase the size that much, heck a Canon 70-200 IS vs Non-IS, they are the same size.

I have a feeling that the lens is far better than the sample images let on and that explains the size.
08-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It does look like a good lens to have, but necessary... Im not sure. It has always baffled me why they make wide angle lenses so huge.. especially when they promote them to be good in small/tight places. Still its one lens Id like to own, but the 35mm is doing me just fine right now. I asked the guy in the video how it performs & if there were many noticable aberrations. His reply " works really well! Chromatic aberration is well controlled".
08-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
It does look like a good lens to have, but necessary... Im not sure. It has always baffled me why they make wide angle lenses so huge.. especially when they promote them to be good in small/tight places. Still its one lens Id like to own, but the 35mm is doing me just fine right now. I asked the guy in the video how it performs & if there were many noticable aberrations. His reply " works really well! Chromatic aberration is well controlled".
Depends on your use. 35mm is often not wide enough and some situations aren't friendly to stitching.

Just a joke here but when they talk about small/tight places I don't think they mean trying to use it in a 20cm x 10cm space rather than a 10cm x 10cm place. 28-45mm vs 35mm

A statement of CA well controlled sounds like what I have seen from the 25mm. A statement of does not exist would be jumping for joy... That said it isn't too much of a problem. Interested more in edge/center sharpness which can't be corrected and distortion to a lesser extent.

All in all a positive contribution to the system and long needed. And probably the only new lens investment for me at this time.