Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Necessarily SD-card performance for 645Z ?

Hello
Does anyone know what is the minimum read-write performance (MB/s) of SDHC or SDXC-cards for the 645Z, so that the SD-card surely doesn't reduce the speed of the camera? Because I want order cards exclusively for the 645Z, and I prefer good quality with "necessarily" and not "oversized" performance.
Kindly regards
Rudolf

08-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RR645 Quote
Hello
Does anyone know what is the minimum read-write performance (MB/s) of SDHC or SDXC-cards for the 645Z, so that the SD-card surely doesn't reduce the speed of the camera? Because I want order cards exclusively for the 645Z, and I prefer good quality with "necessarily" and not "oversized" performance.
Kindly regards
Rudolf
I tested this for our in-depth review. With 1.00 firmware, the 645Z maxes out at 41Mb/s for stills, so any card with a write speed of that or faster will give you optimal performance.

As far as write speed goes, we got identical results in single and burst mode (and in sequential and dual-card shooting) with a Sandisk Extreme 45Mb/s card and a Sandisk Extreme 90Mb/s card. Playback speed was about the same (very good) with both cards.

This is an interesting finding, since the K-3 was able to take full advantage of the extreme pro card. However, since we can safely assume that the overall processing power (in the PRIME III) is the same, it would make sense that the 645Z needs considerably more time to process the sensor data before/while writing it.

The one format to avoid is TIFF- it takes considerably longer to save than even RAW+, and a full burst can take almost 2 minutes to be saved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I tested this for our in-depth review. With 1.00 firmware, the 645Z maxes out at 41Mb/s for stills, so any card with a write speed of that or faster will give you optimal performance.

As far as write speed goes, we got identical results in single and burst mode (and in sequential and dual-card shooting) with a Sandisk Extreme 45Mb/s card and a Sandisk Extreme 90Mb/s card. Playback speed was about the same (very good) with both cards.

This is an interesting finding, since the K-3 was able to take full advantage of the extreme pro card. However, since we can safely assume that the overall processing power (in the PRIME III) is the same, it would make sense that the 645Z needs considerably more time to process the sensor data before/while writing it.

The one format to avoid is TIFF- it takes considerably longer to save than even RAW+, and a full burst can take almost 2 minutes to be saved.
I do wonder how, since I didn't get that speed in my K-3. The max of just under 45 MB/s was in my K-3 and the 645Z sounds like that.
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

I use Transcend 90mb/s 600x 64gb cards for video and stills and haven't had any issues and they run me about 27 with VAT

08-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tested my SDHC Transcend cards on 645D and 645Z:
old, non UHS-I, 20 reading / 20 writing Mb/s
and new, UHS-I, 95 reading / 85 writing Mb/s

New UHS-I card does not help 645D at all - because of processor Prime II limitation.
But it helps 645Z a lot - twice faster saving files and twice longer series in RAW at speed 1.0 Fps.
So, I can not recommend old non UHS-I cards for 645Z - it's better to buy only new cards.