Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645z warranty and bag questions

Hi - I naively assumed that the 2 year extended warranty for DSLRS would work for the Z. However this is what Adorama has on their site:

About the Pentax Warranty

Can only be purchased within 30 days of original equipment purchase. Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current Pentax DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. Does NOT cover the 645D or any Ricoh Model. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

The BH Site says the extended warranty applies to all pentax and ricoh cameras. I would appreciate if anyone lets me know how they got to extend their 1 year warranty on the 645Z.

Bags:
Right now I am using a DOMKE suitcase to haul the Z around. Any suggestions for a backpack (with Z and FA 45-85 and 80-160)? Also, international travellers - how do you manage to carry your medium format gear? Many thanks for your help!

08-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flick Helen a note. She'll know! Helen Oster - View Profile - PentaxForums.com
08-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you Mark for the suggestion. I did write and have a response from Leah of Adorama - the warranty should be good for the 645Z as it is a Pentax DSLR.
08-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I am using a Lowepro Urban Reporter 350 shoulder bag. Lots of space and lots of pockets

08-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I found that a full 645 kit is heavy and the only bags that made that weight disappear is the fstop tilopa and satori. The satori is not carry on compliant though.

Things may change soon for me as I am getting the new 28-45 and plan on trimming down the kit.
08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Thank you Mark for the suggestion. I did write and have a response from Leah of Adorama - the warranty should be good for the 645Z as it is a Pentax DSLR.
Great! Enjoy your new camera!
08-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

I use the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. I usually carry the Z with a 45-85 attached, my 300mm F4 on one side, and my 75mm and 45mm primes on the other. If you go with a shoulder bag, definitely replace the shoulder pad though for carrying this much weight. I got a gel pad for a guitar on Amazon that works wonders.
08-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I keep my 645Z and lenses in a sealed Pelican case all the time for storage & during transit and swap everything out into a Lowe Pro Computrekker AW Backpack thats lives in my car ready to go Hiking. Im curious to know everyone else's methods of storage and bags.

09-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New question on burst mode experience

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I am using a Lowepro Urban Reporter 350 shoulder bag. Lots of space and lots of pockets
Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking into Lowepro.

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I found that a full 645 kit is heavy and the only bags that made that weight disappear is the fstop tilopa and satori. The satori is not carry on compliant though.

Things may change soon for me as I am getting the new 28-45 and plan on trimming down the kit.
Thank you. Just learned about fstop - looks impressive!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great! Enjoy your new camera!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dat_Bokeh Quote
I use the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. I usually carry the Z with a 45-85 attached, my 300mm F4 on one side, and my 75mm and 45mm primes on the other. If you go with a shoulder bag, definitely replace the shoulder pad though for carrying this much weight. I got a gel pad for a guitar on Amazon that works wonders.
Crumpler seems like it can fit quite a bit of gear. The gel pad is a great suggestion, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I keep my 645Z and lenses in a sealed Pelican case all the time for storage & during transit and swap everything out into a Lowe Pro Computrekker AW Backpack thats lives in my car ready to go Hiking. Im curious to know everyone else's methods of storage and bags.
Thank you. I am currently doing something like that. I have the Domke case with all the gear and then use a deviant art shoulder bag or crumple knockoff to transport camera and a lens or two.

Pics attached:
Domke case:

Camera with FA*300, A35 (no cap), FA 45-85 to the right of the camera, FA 150, FA 120 and FA 80-160 (lying horizontal)
[IMG][/IMG]

Deviant art bag (It is not the right bag for a 645z) with the camera and 45-85

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

I have a "what would you do" question. On one occasion when I shot in burst mode, the camera froze and I could not get it to respond. Even when the switch was powered off, the LCD display stayed on and so did the image on the back screen. I had to physically remove the battery to shut the camera down. I have not had that experience in my subsequent experience with the burst mode. The camera has been functioning fine ever since. The camera is still within 30 day return period. My question is, would you return the camera and hope the replacement has no issues or stick with the camera (because it is just fantastic all around otherwise) as the issue seems minor? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by mccarvindh; 09-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here is shot of my Pelican Hardcase.
Pentax 645Z with DA25mm Attached.
FA45-85mm
FA120mm Macro
A35mm
And a little re-useable moisture /dehumidifier.
This case goes everywhere with me, and like I mention above swap it all out into a backpack when needed.

In regards to your question I have not had that issue... but other slight things that don't seem right and have not happened again. Im assuming a firmware update could iron out these glitches... I guess being early adopters we get to test these things out in the field and report back to pentax with our findings and questions.

Tom

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 11-12-2014 at 04:36 PM.