Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #1

Canon eos with 645 lenses and Mirex adaptor

Hi has anyone had experience of using 645 lenses with the Mirex adapter particularly the tilt shift version?
I can't afford the 645D I had hoped for so I'm now planning to use my Eos with some of the 645 lenses.
If anyone has any experience of how these work and also do I need to an adapter for each lens I will be very grateful!

08-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how much you would benefit from adapting 645 lenses on a smaller format. If you want to get a tilt/shift lens, I'd recommend the new Samyang T/S 24mm. The old Pentax ones don't have the tilt function.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
It was the focal lengths which appealed. I could get for the price of one tse 24mm I could have equivalents to 28mm (my usual landscape length), 35mm and 50 mm
08-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mirex Tilt Shift for Pentax 67 lenses on Nikon

My digital shooting is with a Nikon, so Mirex does not make an adapter for the 645 lenses, but they do make one for the 67 lenses. So far I have the 45mm, 55mm (second version), 165mm f/2.8 and the 200mm. Although I am shooting with a cropped sensor, D7000, I plan on getting a full frame body at some point - unless the 645D prices keep falling.

The Mirex adapter is very nicely made. I used to shoot Canon and had the 90mm Tilt Shift (T/S) - which was beautiful, but honestly the ability to use so many lenses (relatively inexpensive) with one adapter (somewhat expensive) make the Mirex a nice option. For the price of a new 90mm T/S I picked up a used Mirex adapter and four Pentax 6x7 lenses (and have a bit of change left over to pay for part of a 6x7 100mm f/4 macro).

I also happened upon a Zoerk (Zork in the USA) Multi Focus System adapter for Nikon F mount - so I have been looking into enlarger lens options for this, but only have an older Nikkor 50mm 2.8. The really nice thins about this system is that I can purchase a Pentax 6x7 mount or Pentax 645 mount and use this setup on those bodies. Meant for close up work, but the tilting ability is really nice. Zoerk also makes a shift adapter for Pentax 6x7 onto a Pentax 645 body - which I also picked up for some architectural shooting - now that I have some wide 6x7 glass.

---------- Post added 08-15-2014 at 10:14 AM ----------

consider some of the 645 telephoto lenses with the Mirex as well... the effect of the 6x7 165mm f/2.8 with the Mirex adapter is quite nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by greatgable Quote
It was the focal lengths which appealed. I could get for the price of one tse 24mm I could have equivalents to 28mm (my usual landscape length), 35mm and 50 mm

08-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for that really helpful answer!

I just wonder how you find image quality with these pre digital lenses please? Are the pictures sharp and is there any vignetting?

Also how do you manage with metering etc.....all this is new as I have used autofocus and in camera metering for too long!

I agree that four lenses plus adaptor for the price of one tilt shift is very attractive, especially as canon's 24mm tse is actually a bit wide, and the equivalents offered by the 45, 55, 75 and 80 are very attractive.

Many thanks!

Last edited by greatgable; 08-16-2014 at 01:20 AM.
08-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
How did you find the 45mm please? This is the first lens I hope to acquire as it is 28mm in full frame, my usual focal length for landscapes.
Some reviews say it suffers softness at the edges on a MF camera, but that would probably not be a problem on the smaller 35mm sensors?

Many thanks!