Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
No, don't buy a P67.... I made that mistake.
because like me, you will want a P67II, a 6x7, then you will look into P645, P645N, P645NII....

before you know, those money can buy you a FF DSLR....
The biggest problem I've had with mine is I never shoot any of the other cameras I own.

08-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
In comparison to the latest main brand 35mm dslrs
The 67 is stupidly big, bigger than a ff dslr. The prime lenses for it aren't long, but they are very fat around the waist.

Even though they are stupidly big and heavy, the instant you look through that viewfinder, you'll be hooked. Stick some portra 160 in it, get a pro scan done, and you'll be gobsmacked. Unbelievably good cameras.
08-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
The 67 is stupidly big, bigger than a ff dslr.
My homebuilt 6X7 Tak cameras are about 2kg each, and about the same size as a big 35mm dslr.
I was at an old car show last saturday with one of these and a photographer with a big Canon came over to shoot the breeze.
he was a film guy, wishing he had his 645 at the show.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
No, don't buy a P67.... I made that mistake.
because like me, you will want a P67II, a 6x7, then you will look into P645, P645N, P645NII....

before you know, those money can buy you a FF DSLR....
Haha! Know the feeling!

I bought a 645 on a whim, and was blown away by the quality. Lent it to a friend (who loves shooting 35mm film, but hasn't shot 120 before), and next time I saw her she had a 6x7 with wooden handle!

I've now got a collection of 67 lenses, and am waiting for a decent 67 ii body to pop up for sale!

Fwiw, I mainly develop b&w at home, and use a canoscan 9000f m2. I'm lucky enough to have an independent developers close by, that do a really good job with c41 and e6 at a good price, so all my colour films go there.

I've become a bit of a fan of the rollei 200s b&w films. I've not found a film that is as easy to scan in a flatbed. It just seems to enjoy lying perfectly flat in the film holders I find....

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 10:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
My homebuilt 6X7 Tak cameras are about 2kg each, and about the same size as a big 35mm dslr.
I was at an old car show last saturday with one of these and a photographer with a big Canon came over to shoot the breeze.
he was a film guy, wishing he had his 645 at the show.
Good work! I should have clarified p6x7 with wooden handle, but never mind! Ever considered fashioning a lava lamp handle for one of those? You know, for that proper retro feel?

Have you got a blog describing the build of those? I'd love to see some details of the build!

08-25-2014, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

To get the very best out of medium format requires experience, and a commitment to carrying a fair bit of weight around (the camera, I mean!). I wouldn't keep my hopes too high of landing beautiful photographs on the very first try, especially with the big Pentax 67 system. The same thing can be said of Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, Rolleiflex...on and on. To buy a 67 just for a collection seems a bit of a waste. But that's a personal decision. Now, the age of these cameras concerns me. I am seeing a lot with broken winding mechanisms, malfunctioning TTL meters, lazy shutters, inaccurate shutter speeds and DIY repairs to the meter coupling chain. A lot of this is age-related, some more still is the work of rough handling, neglect or improper treatment over a long period of time. You really do need to be clued up and have your wits about you now when buying a 67, ideally go and handle it and check its nuances and operation, certainly not relay on 'sight-unseen' purchasing. Having said that, for artists and fine art photographers the 67 is probably (it is to me) the pinnacle of image excellence save for the next jump up which is large format (MF has slighly better resolution). You will need to hone your skills (and draw on intuition and cunning) to get the best out of the system but once you are familiar and comfortable with the camera's operation it is a beautiful workhorse that encourages and takes you back to the foundations of considered photography.

APS does not make MF 'futile' by any stretch of the imagination. On the contrary, MF makes APS et al futile, ditto much of the digital stuff parading about. Learn a real craft of analogue photography and leave the digital toys to the geeks.