Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I buy a 67?

Going through a bit of a camera collection phase right now. Bought my first film Pentax, a Super ME, quickly followed with a K1000. Both of which I am yet to receive.

Now the 67 has me intrigued. It will mostly be a collection item but I will definitely use it too (should I get one). I like tbh e idea of using medium format if I am going to shoot film.

Probably a stupid question considering where I am posting this...

08-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at least wait until you get those film cameras. 67 is pretty complex, as far as i know. Take it slow, but definitely keep an eye out on 67 bodies and lenses, and maybe snag one if you see a good price
08-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have been learning about medium format for about 2 years now.
with little collection of vintage Takumar and Graflex stuff.

If cost is a consideration, you could look at the Mamiya RB series.
About 1/3 of the Pentax 67 costs and probably of a similar (high) standard from various forum sellers and dealers like KEH.
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my 6x7s. Please don't get one to put under glass and never use!

I only have the waist level finder, which I personally find conducive to MF landscape and close-up shots. Have yet to do portraits--not enough skill or confidence I guess, given the over $1/frame cost. But it is so fun and so different than digital, and 35mm film for that matter.

If you shoot B&W, most reels/developing tanks handle 135 and 120 film, which is nice. I don't have a darkroom and so digitize all my negs at home. If you're planning on digitizing at home, formats larger than 135 can require special equipment (dedicated scanners, or in my case, a jerry-rigged DSLR digitizing setup).

I find with 6x7 that I am happier with less. I have a wide (45mm), normal (105mm), and short tele (150mm). Sometimes I get the urge to replace the 150mm with a 165mm, or to supplement the 105mm with the almost-pancake 90mm...but other than that I am currently satisfied.

For some reason I salivate over all different kinds of lenses for APS-C and 35mm, but am content with what I have for 6x7. Go figure.

Last edited by filoxophy; 08-20-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added stuff
08-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I love my 6x7s. Please don't get one to put under glass and never use!

I only have the waist level finder, which I personally find conducive to MF landscape and close-up shots. Have yet to do portraits--not enough skill or confidence I guess, given the over $1/frame cost. But it is so fun and so different than digital, and 35mm film for that matter.

If you shoot B&W, most reels/developing tanks handle 135 and 120 film, which is nice. I don't have a darkroom and so digitize all my negs at home. If you're planning on digitizing at home, formats larger than 135 can require special equipment (dedicated scanners, or in my case, a jerry-rigged DSLR digitizing setup).

I find with 6x7 that I am happier with less. I have a wide (45mm), normal (105mm), and short tele (150mm). Sometimes I get the urge to replace the 150mm with a 165mm, or to supplement the 105mm with the almost-pancake 90mm...but other than that I am currently satisfied.

For some reason I salivate over all different kinds of lenses for APS-C and 35mm, but am content with what I have for 6x7. Go figure.

If you use an aps-c to 'scan' the 6x7 do you not end up being at the mercy of the APS-C sensor making using MF futile ?
08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
If you use an aps-c to 'scan' the 6x7 do you not end up being at the mercy of the APS-C sensor making using MF futile ?
I don't make giant prints, so no I am not. A 16mp reproduction is more than acceptable for my use. If you're talking about the MF "look" or shallow DOF or what have you, that was captured in the negative. Certainly the quality of my digitizing process is a bottleneck for ultimate quality, but in my personal experience it is sufficient for my uses.

Also, as I tried to convey, shooting 6x7 for me is just a different thing. I take different pics with 6x7 than I do with my K-5II or my SLRs. Whether it's the WLF, the film cost, the size of the body...whatever it is, it's a different (and enjoyably so) experience. YMMV
08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't make giant prints, so no I am not. A 16mp reproduction is more than acceptable for my use. If you're talking about the MF "look" or shallow DOF or what have you, that was captured in the negative. Certainly the quality of my digitizing process is a bottleneck for ultimate quality, but in my personal experience it is sufficient for my uses.

Also, as I tried to convey, shooting 6x7 for me is just a different thing. I take different pics with 6x7 than I do with my K-5II or my SLRs. Whether it's the WLF, the film cost, the size of the body...whatever it is, it's a different (and enjoyably so) experience. YMMV
I understand . I'm interested in a 35mm scanner - are there any decently priced ones you know of?

08-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pakon 135 has its fans. Available used on the bay. My all in one printer has a 135 film holder for scanning, but I haven't got satisfactory results. Would love to get a Nikon 9000 or Epson 700 or such, but we'll see. Some other MF scanners are available new as well, which maybe someone can chime in on. Anyway, back OT...
08-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some other MF scanners are available new as well, which maybe someone can chime in on.
Oh Yes, If you are going to scan medium format C41, which is almost the only way these days,
with the concept of "spread functions'or " weakest links", it is daunting to go through all the rigmarole of setting up a 67 kit and learning how to use it, only to end up with junk scans.

I went through all that and now have a PrimeFilmPro120 scanner for the 6x7 and 35mm.
That scanner cost as much as a 35mm dslr, and so it is not justified rationally.

But 6x7 C41, while old technology, is challenging and fun, we don't have to rationalize our hobbies do we?
08-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

I just bought a 6x7 with the 135mm Macro, the 90mm f2.8, wood grip and TTL meter. It's a beast, literally.
08-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
It's a beast, literally.
In comparison to the latest main brand 35mm dslrs?
We went to a beach wedding last weekend where the photographer and his 2 assistants were all armed with enormous dslrs. Assistant #2 had a milky filter on hers and was using it as an incident meter near the bride's face, and calling numbers to the chief. From some reading later, I think they were setting manual WB as the sun went down.
Well if that works I am in favor of it in preference to post processing.

I later tried that on the K-01 and it can only say the color temp via the raw, not available on the camera lcd.
08-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

I believe with the TTL meter, wood grip, and 135mm it weighs somewhere around ten pounds. It dwarfs my K5iis with grip and FA* 85mm f1.4
08-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
I believe with the TTL meter, wood grip, and 135mm it weighs somewhere around ten pounds. It dwarfs my K5iis with grip and FA* 85mm f1.4
I do believe the 10 lbs story is bit much or else you need to get that bathroom scale re-calibrated( I could say something here but won't ;-). The Pentax 67 is not any more difficult to operate than any 35mm camera, except film loading is a bit more fiddley. Negative quality will be amazing if you get things right - no histograms or blinkies to help you I'm afraid. For decent MF scans, get an Epson 600 or a Canoscan equivalent.
08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #14

Get a 67. Any of them. Shoot slide film. It's the single greatest photographic thing to look at. Then want bigger
08-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, don't buy a P67.... I made that mistake.
because like me, you will want a P67II, a 6x7, then you will look into P645, P645N, P645NII....

before you know, those money can buy you a FF DSLR....