Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by dugaut Quote
Susan, from another thread I'm working this issue on

Doug

Originally posted by chobit Quote
Just want to write a little more details, and hopefully that would be helpful for those who are interested to use the Pentax Flash PTTL system with the 645Z

Setup:
- 645Z
- AF360FGZ II
- AF540FGZ II

Both allow you to setup the Flash in HSS mode as a Master Flash on Hot-Shoe or Controller mode.

The challenge I have with Flash compensation not working when making the changes from the flash

Example:
At 1/125 +1 FEC on the flash, it works. As soon as you start 1/160, the +2 FEC no longer kicks in.
At 1/125 +1 FEC on the Camera. Using 1/160 continue to accept the +1 FEC from the camera

Sadly, you can use -4 to +2 FEC from the flash if it works, on the camera, you are limited to -2 to +1

Translate this to a remote flash setup using my 360 II as controller and the 540 II as the remote flash. I am limited to +1 FEC from the camera, as the flash because of the HSS mode, which is very limiting, when compare to my Canon remote flash setup.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/268881-report-wir...#ixzz3V6SdpEB6

so it looks like using the 360 or 540 flashes hss will work with no cactus in the mix

what seems to be not working is fec, and when a cactus is involved (whether the on camera flash is on top of a cactus, or a remote 360/540 is mounted on a cactus)

ed, doesn't the cactus rf60 flash have a built in radio and by mounting it on a cactus you might be confusing it?

what I'm going to do is by a used 540 from b&H, mount it on a cactus on my camera, attached a cactus to my einstein640. Then set the camera to manual (or if I have to x mode), 1/500 shutter speed, and fire the einstein at full power (according to paul c buff that would mean a flash time of 1/588); that should allow the flash to completely illuminate the scene before the second shutter comes down (1/588 flash is faster than 1/500 camera shutter)

why do I feel frustation looming?
Doug

I think I switched the wireless off. But the Cactus documentation leaves a little to be desired sometimes. I am certain that I will be able to get the Metz to work with a fix of some sort ... but you are right ... frustration lies in the future. But tout this into context, the situation is much better than with the Leica S system where there is no ring flash and virtually no good integration with anything other than their own 56

03-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #17

Can anyone confirm that the PW III works with the 645Z when set to x @125/sec? TIA.
03-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Can anyone confirm that the PW III works with the 645Z when set to x @125/sec? TIA.
the pwII attached to 645z fires my einstein with a pwII in its sync port

I'd have to think the pwIII would fire

I was in x mode

the AF 540 has a sync port (Sync Port - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison the pws don't have a hotshoe to mount the flash in so you will need the sync port

the pw flex has a hotshoe on top of it; those are potentially more functional but as I have found potentially more frustrating
03-25-2015, 12:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugaut Quote
I'm using the cactus v6 and an einstein e640 strobe; the cactus on the hotshoe and the cactus in the sync port of the einstein

in p, a, x mode it works (einstein fires remotely through the cactus triggers)

trouble I'm having is exceeding the sync speed; from reading on the forum it seems you need to attach a pentax flash (360 or 540) to activate hss; in other words, you can't activate through camera (like I can with my canons and nikons)

buying from keh seems like the route to go
I know that in X mode the 645Z limits shutter speed to 1/125th. Not sure about P or A mode since I don't use them.