Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

645Z and Live View

Couple of quick questions about Live View on the 645Z...

1 Mirror Up when in LV and you take the shot, does the mirror remain locked up, or is it dropped and then raised again to take the shot, basically giving a double hit of possible vibration?

2 DOF Preview I understand that the LV displays based on a fully open aperture. If so, how do you judge the DOF on the LV screen?

Just trying to work out what is best practice when using LV on a tripod

Many thanks

Phil

08-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

1. The mirror stays up. The shutter closes and reopens, then closes again.

The apparent "double" of shutter actuation count on the Z is mainly because it uses double the shutter count when using live view.

2. In the menu you can change the preview function around the shutter button to be a manual preview rather than digital, so it closes down the aperture while you hold it in.

I wish that this feature was on a button rather than the on/off ring, as it is annoying to hold while focussing.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 08:07 PM ----------

With regards to your other question on LL.

Use the weatherproof IR remote or plug in version and set the camera to 3s timer, with one press, it will drop the mirror, wait 3secs the take the shot.
08-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply

I was out this morning for a first try of the 645Z - I think the D was a bit upset I didn't take him for a walk - and found a comfortable approach (I think but early days)...

Use Live View to compose and check the focus
Exit LV
With Mirror Up selected, press once to open the mirror
Wait for the wind to drop and then fire the shot with the remote.

Seems to work and isn't too far off how I was doing it with the D, but early days and a number of things I still need to work out on the Z

But lovely to use, so much smoother than the D, but results will be the test :-)
08-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPhil Quote
Thanks for the reply

I was out this morning for a first try of the 645Z - I think the D was a bit upset I didn't take him for a walk - and found a comfortable approach (I think but early days)...

Use Live View to compose and check the focus
Exit LV
With Mirror Up selected, press once to open the mirror
Wait for the wind to drop and then fire the shot with the remote.

Seems to work and isn't too far off how I was doing it with the D, but early days and a number of things I still need to work out on the Z

But lovely to use, so much smoother than the D, but results will be the test :-)
This is my approach, exposure is slightly different with LV in my experience.

09-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

645Z Mirror Up Beep

I find that counting the 1 second interval beeps associated with the mirror upmode to be a very convenient means of reproducing my shutter release delays.
09-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes that is what I do - 4 beeps and click :-)

Phil
09-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
This is my approach, exposure is slightly different with LV in my experience.
I have one camera with "live view" and to me it sucks. the image was not that great and with out a hood it's useless in bright light. most of my shooting does not lend itself to long set-up time.