Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I thought you declined the repair because of the cost.

He also declined to pay to ship the lense he broke. Reasonable chance that Pentax Canada shipped it out with the next package they sent off to Japan instead of same day like they would if they weren't footing the bill.

09-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
He also declined to pay to ship the lense he broke. Reasonable chance that Pentax Canada shipped it out with the next package they sent off to Japan instead of same day like they would if they weren't footing the bill.
To me, it's not acceptable that the lens had to be shipped half way across the world to be repaired, and that he had to pay for it. That is a very unusual situation. It's not as though he went to Japan to buy the lens.

It would be like having to ship your Mercedes to Germany to have it repaired. When you buy an expensive item from a large, well-respected company, you expect that the company has in place the resources and infrastructure to not only sell the item, but also to service the item.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
09-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
To me, it's not acceptable that the lens had to be shipped half way across the world to be repaired, and that he had to pay for it. That is a very unusual situation. It's not as though he went to Japan to buy the lens.

It would be like having to ship your Mercedes to Germany to have it repaired. When you buy an expensive item from a large, well-respected company, you expect that the company has in place the resources to not only sell the item, but also to service the item.
I didn't realize it was shipped to Japan.
09-11-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I didn't realize it was shipped to Japan.
Yeah, here's the relevant portion from the first post:
QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
The lens sat in Toronto for a month and a half at which time I called to find out what happened to it. I got a call back telling me it was still in Toronto and do I want it forwarded to Japan for repairs. Are you %))(*%^%$^ kidding me? I was also told it would cost $170.00 to ship it return. I called the Pentax rep here in Alberta and to his credit he got it shipped to Japan at no cost to me as I was never told I could not get service on this lens in Canada, let alone be billed for shipping.

09-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #125

Original Poster
Some additional information I got from The repair contractor who has a dedicated phone numbers that is answered, "Hello Pentax Repair centre", 645 System repairs are all shipped to Japan. I was shocked, didn't ask about 35mm cameras. I'm not even sure if this is legal under our Canada Consumer Protection laws.

The entire set up by Pentax, is to make one believe that they have a physical presence in Canada and the US, when all they have is a third party providing an answering service making it appear that one is speaking directly to Pentax. As far as MF (645D &Z) systems go, all work is done in Japan.
09-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #126
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
As far as MF (645D &Z) systems go, all work is done in Japan.
I thought that until recently you could only buy 645 lenses in Japan. Or was that just some 645 lenses? I remember reading an announcement that 645 lenses would in the future be available in the US. Maybe Canada is different? Maybe I misunderstood? Were new 645 available in Canada?

Not that this in any way changes the repair situation, just thinking if this is still new maybe they thought repairs in Japan would be OK, or have not set up repair centre for 645 in N America.
09-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #127

Original Poster
It appears to me, that Pentax deliberately deceived Canadian customers into believing they could get service in Canada by setting up a phone number at a third party repair service. At this number they answer the phone as "Pentax when you have actually reached their independent contracted repair service. None of their 645 systems are serviced in Canada, yet they sell new bodies and lenses here.

Last edited by aeros; 09-11-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: More information added
09-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #128
Pentaxian

If you restrict the sale of goods to countries where servicing in the country exists, you'll find it hard to get many electrical goods.

The parallel of a car is not a great example as cameras are easier to ship than cars. Of course it would be better if companies did have I house repairs but this is not always economically viable.

That notwithstanding the service should be quicker than it currently is.

09-12-2014, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
If you restrict the sale of goods to countries where servicing in the country exists, you'll find it hard to get many electrical goods.
Of course nobody thinks that a company has to have a service center in all 150 countries or whatever where the items are sold. That's a ridiculous suggestion. But I'm talking about having to literally send the item halfway across the world. Would it be too much to ask to have a service center not only in Japan, but also one in North America and one in Europe? Just as there are sales regions, there should also be service regions.

Do Sony, Canon, and Nikon not have service centers outside of Japan?

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-12-2014 at 07:16 AM.
09-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Of course nobody thinks that a company has to have a service center in all 150 countries or whatever where the items are sold. That's a ridiculous suggestion. But I'm talking about having to literally send the item halfway across the world. Would it be too much to ask to have a service center not only in Japan, but also one in North America and one in Europe? Just as there are sales regions, there should also be service regions.

Do Sony, Canon, and Nikon not have service centers outside of Japan?
Sorry, but as far as your comparison is concerned, it's not a level playing field. Nikon and Canon have a massive part of the market share. Sony less so but still fairly big. Pentax will repair APS-C equipment in many markets - UK in particular. Where is Pentax's biggest 645 market? Japan, and by a huge margin. The 645 market isn't a huge one as it is. Hopefully if Pentax gets a good name for itself in MF world it might be able to branch out more, until then, it is what it is. It would have to greatly increase its price to be able to give the infrastructure you are asking for. That would lift the camera out of the price range or many people who are now buying it. There will always be a compromise somewhere. We don't live in a perfect world, we live in a real world where not everything goes to plan.

Every company has third party agents either having people answer the phone or actually perform the repairs.

Pentax needs to tighten up its procedures and working practise to speed up the process, and perhaps do something about shipping costs where it is necessary.

Those who are looking for a perfect world are chasing pots of gold at the end of rainbows. It doesn't exist. For all the legislative nature of the US (as it is often viewed from the outside) if you want to have an article on sale, it has to be profitable, and that includes calculating the cost of post purchase support. Pentax doesn't have the shiny label USP of Leica, Hassie and others, so it needs to compete in another way - and that is to keep its prices competitive. What we have seen may be the consequences of this. I'd still rather that the came was kept affordable.
09-12-2014, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Sorry, but as far as your comparison is concerned, it's not a level playing field. Nikon and Canon have a massive part of the market share. Sony less so but still fairly big. Pentax will repair APS-C equipment in many markets - UK in particular. Where is Pentax's biggest 645 market? Japan, and by a huge margin.
I'm sorry, but when you buy a camera, lens, or any other consumer electronic device from a major manufacturer in the US and/or Canada, you do not expect to be told that it has to be mailed to Japan to be serviced. That is extraordinary, and I've never run into that situation with any other electronics I've ever purchased in the US.

If that is the case, then it should be made clear to the buyer up-front. Especially when the item in question is a $5000 lens that will be very expensive and possibly risky to ship. And even more especially when it is an item that will frequently be used by working photographers, for whom time is money when they are waiting for equipment to be shipped and serviced.

Or alternatively, the company should simply eat the cost of shipping the item back for service, since it presumably saves them the cost of operating multiple repair facilities around the world.

If Pentax really is such a small operation, which such tiny sales in the US and Canada, that they can't have one service center over here, then they should probably not be selling expensive cameras and lenses over here. After all, if the profits from their North American sales can't even support one service center, then why keep selling over here?

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.
09-12-2014, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If Ricoh leased Pentax 645Zs and the lease included a service level agreement, then that might speed repairs up if a lens or camera fail.

Phil
What a brilliant idea... they should lease these cameras.
I don't have 8000+ to dish out on a new camera and lens, but if I could lease the equipment, I would buy one today!
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
What a brilliant idea... they should lease these cameras.
I don't have 8000+ to dish out on a new camera and lens, but if I could lease the equipment, I would buy one today!
Leasing the 645z is a great idea; you just can't put more than 5000 clicks on it a year. If you go over, you pay a fine for each extra click.
09-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #134

Leasing the 645z is a great idea; you just can't put more than 5000 clicks on it a year. If you go over, you pay a fine for each extra click.
How are they going to track my clicks?
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPhil Quote
Having just received my 645Z I was surprised to see a letter inside that said for 2 years Pentax would clean the camera and the sensor free of charge. Also if I have a 645D or K they would be cleaned FOC for the next 2 years; all you have to do is ship the camera to their service centre.

So a nice service extra, over and above what the likes of Nikon/Canon do.

Even better, the service centre is about 30 minutes down the road :-)

Doesn't help the OP, but thought I would mention it as it is a step in the right direction for better service and support.
Are you sure it said that, or did it say that Pentax would return the camera within about 2 years after you sent it in for a cleaning?