Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(and it appears from recent posts Ricoh Imaging Canada is going the same direction).
This is what actually scares me. In the past we moaned about USA service and the Canadians smirked because service there was pretty good. Now they have lost their service depot as well. Seems north America is going backwards not forwards. And Pentax USA has moved service from CRIS to Precision. I had hopes that might be an improvement but maybe they are just the low bidder? I personally had no problems with CRIS, everything I sent them was repaired in a timely fashion, AFTER AN INSANE wait for parts from Pentax. We should not be blaming the repair tech if he cannot get the parts. And I do not think that parts were CRIS's fault, I had a lens into Eric for repair last year and he reported the same issue, months waiting for parts from Pentax.

I can see that during the transition there might be some confusion and delay as inventory is taken and new control systems put in place. But so far the situation has gotten worse, not better. And that is seriously disappointing.

08-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #32

Original Poster
This is the first time I have ever been treated (by ANY company I have dealt with) this way. Remember, my experience with Pentax started at age 20, I’m now 70, fifty years as a loyal customer who would tell anyone what fine cameras and lenses they manufacture. I’m actually sad for Pentax as I was so excited by the introduction of the 645Z.
I felt it was a game changer giving a huge bang for the buck as my friend Royce Howland put it. This camera uses the same Sony chip as the Phase One and sells for a fraction of the cost of a PO. Pentax is an innovator to be sure, which begs the question, “Who’s looking after service”? This is a gong show of gargantuan proportions. It is of no consequence how good the kit is if the company shows no concern for the customers who support them.
I’ve flogged this to death, all that remains is for me to email the Pentax rep here in Edmonton (he’s a very nice guy) and send him the link to this thread with the hope he will forward it to his boss in Japan. Still I believe it will fall on deaf ears.
08-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote

I paid $10,500.00 for just the body and a further $1200.00 for the 55mm and a further 5k for the 25mm. This is not hobbyist pocket money. This is what I paid as a working commercial Photographer (I hate the term “Pro”). I was the first shooter to buy the 645D in Edmonton. I was the first shooter to by the 25mm in the entire western hemisphere.

This took a huge leap of faith that clearly was betrayed.
Price shouldn’t matter as you are dealing with one company, whose products should be equal.

Pentax/Ricoh should have two levels of support, one being the current setup with the not so good warranty repair system.

Two if you want better service for what ever reason, then Pentax/Ricoh should offer a premier level of support for a fee. This service would include product replacement/loaner until the original issue is fixed.

Kind of like Health Care in Canada.

Phil.
08-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Price shouldn’t matter as you are dealing with one company, whose products should be equal.

Pentax/Ricoh should have two levels of support, one being the current setup with the not so good warranty repair system.

Two if you want better service for what ever reason, then Pentax/Ricoh should offer a premier level of support for a fee. This service would include product replacement/loaner until the original issue is fixed.

Kind of like Health Care in Canada.

Phil.
From your avatar, you look way too young to be giving me your opinions on anything. You’re just not getting it, so I will just give up on you, seems you are too naive to make any kind of reasonable point with.

08-31-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would argue that the current setup is not adequate even for casual photographers. I agree with the two levels though. If you want 24 or 48 hour turn around or 1 week you should be prepared to pay for that.

But we hear far too many stories of people being without a lens or camera for months. Including my k-5 which took months waiting for parts.
08-31-2014, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
the Canadians smirked because service there was pretty good.
No, we just smirk because we are perennial smirkers. Most of the stuff we smirk about are just random events with no meaning. It's rare when we smirk about something meaningful.
08-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From your avatar, you look way too young to be giving me your opinions on anything. You’re just not getting it, so I will just give up on you, seems you are too naive to make any kind of reasonable point with.

Based upon your age you obviously are too old to understand technology. Have your son or grandson explain this too you. You are far too jaded to use reason.

Now I was obviously being facetious there, but your post discriminating about someone else's age was just as deprecating.

08-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #38

Original Poster
The issue for me is the quality of build. Can this lens take normal field use? I believe not, other owners of the 25mm say the same. I read one post in this forum referring to this lens as being delicate. It would be great to hear from more owners of this lens as to their personal experiences. This may be hard to getting information from other owners as I was told by the dealer, “This is a rare and exotic lens, not much support for such a lens” That’s the understatement of the century!
Given how in my personal experience with this lens and the horrific time it takes to go to Japan and back, and the cost of repairs, then it’s a no brainer to not fix the AF and just use it as a MF. It is costing $770.00 to ship and fix and seems one only has to look at it sideways and it’s then on its way back to Japan for an AF repair and a five month trip. As I stated in an earlier post, it is after all a studio/landscape lens and AF is not critical, in fact I prefer MF over AF for non fast action shots.
The compelling question is “Why should it take five months and still not have it in hand, repaired or not?”
08-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait, you "bought the first 25mm in the western hemisphere" and you wonder why it struggles with auto focus? The first one always struggles with something………..

Sadly though i concur with the poor service i have received with the D and now the Z. The USA reps however did replace my D once and my 90mm once. It seems as if replacement is not a problem when the item is newish but actual service is verging on non existent.
08-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Based upon your age you obviously are too old to understand technology. Have your son or grandson explain this too you. You are far too jaded to use reason.

Now I was obviously being facetious there, but your post discriminating about someone else's age was just as deprecating.

I’m not going to indulge in childish rhetoric with you. Beyond this post, I will not engage with you any further.

08-31-2014, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I personally had no problems with CRIS, everything I sent them was repaired in a timely fashion, AFTER AN INSANE wait for parts from Pentax. We should not be blaming the repair tech if he cannot get the parts. And I do not think that parts were CRIS's fault, I had a lens into Eric for repair last year and he reported the same issue, months waiting for parts from Pentax.
I suspect the repair center waits until enough repair items need a certain part that they can order an entire box of that part. They don't want to inventory a broken box of parts ntil the next repair comes in.

In my world, maintaining an inventory of parts (even when you outsource repairs to a contractor) is the responsibility of the USA Division. But Parts in Denver was one (very nice, hard working) lady who answered the phone whenever she wasn't filling orders or processing billing. I understand Eric can't order parts directly from RIAC any more - you ahve to be a Dealer to order parts - but there is not a wholesale parts Dealer from whom to order.

I'm on another anti-RIAC rant so I should just stay away or shoot or something.
08-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
Wait, you "bought the first 25mm in the western hemisphere" and you wonder why it struggles with auto focus? The first one always struggles with something………..

Sadly though i concur with the poor service i have received with the D and now the Z. The USA reps however did replace my D once and my 90mm once. It seems as if replacement is not a problem when the item is newish but actual service is verging on non existent.

In my fifty years of experience I have never had a need to send anything back to Pentax, hence my faith in their equipment. Your tone has me believing you’re just looking for argument.
08-31-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dude - Phil is among the most respected members of the Forum - a veritable wealth of knowlege and experience with all things analog Pentax - of all sizes - and most of the digital.

You just lost any credibility you might have had.

boriscleto™
08-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #44

Original Poster
And now it all slides into the abyss, and you can call me aeros, dude.
08-31-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect the repair center waits until enough repair items need a certain part that they can order an entire box of that part. They don't want to inventory a broken box of parts ntil the next repair comes in.
Possible, I have no idea. But the parts wait Eric reported was last year when he was still ordering parts direct. But even if your theory is true, it is a ridiculous way to run a service center. I don't care whether there is a full box or part box, I want my camera fixed and three months is FAR TOO long to have to wait. Of course it worked out just fine for Ricoh, I finally gave up and bought a k-5IIs to use which went to my wife when the k-5 finally came back. And then I bought the k-3 when that came out, leaving the k-5 as a backup for both of us.