Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Without going into detail on the civility problems in this thread (dreadful, mainly on the OP's side of things imo...), I do wonder about something: Let's say that parts do have to come from Japan (it wouldn't surprise me for several reasons, none especially good, but...). OK. I wanted a grid screen for my new Z, and had to order it from Japan. I got it in 10 days (or less?). So, you send in a lens (3days), it is examined and the fault determined (3 days, generously for the work---add a 5 days for the queue to get looked at), order from Japan(1 day tops), processed and shipped by Japan (3 days generously), shipping (7 days), part available for repair and repair done (let's do 5 days again for the queue, and 2 days for the work), process for shipping (1 day), shipped and received (3 days).

That doesn't add up to a several months' wait, more like a month to 5 weeks---not super (like Sigma! I agree with a poster above. I also had a terrific experience with them), but not horrendous.

So, where is the extra time going?

Anyone have any ideas? Monochrome?

09-01-2014, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It seems that the OP took it in stride that his $5000 lens broke. The whole point of his story was how bad Pentax's service was after the lens was broken. So you're kind of addressing the wrong issue.
The point is he broke the lens himself. It is unacceptable that it took so long to get to a quotation. The OP says otherwise, but I can't help thinking that the fact that it is a $600 repair that is filling him with such rancour. Otherwise why comment that when the quote was $600 he requested the lens back. It really should not take Pentax Ricoh this long to give a quote and return the lens. I will agree that this took way too long.

The repair that I paid for to my D took a few months, so this is definitely something in Pentax's culture that needs to change under Ricoh's tenureship. Their UK service coordinator intimated to me today that the culture is changing. Let's hope so.
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The point is he broke the lens himself.
That's not the point of the thread at all.
09-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #64
Pentaxian

That's not the point of the thread at all.
Have a look at the context of your first sentence. It would suggest that the lens broke, not that the lens took a tumble. My 25 f/4 broke last year, but wasn't as a result of impact damage. Therefore it got replaced free of charge. The sentences sound the same but the result will always be different,

It seems that the OP took it in stride that his $5000 lens broke.
That notwithstanding, it took too long.

09-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #65

Original Poster
The point is he broke the lens himself. It is unacceptable that it took so long to get to a quotation. The OP says otherwise, but I can't help thinking that the fact that it is a $600 repair that is filling him with such rancour. Otherwise why comment that when the quote was $600 he requested the lens back. It really should not take Pentax Ricoh this long to give a quote and return the lens. I will agree that this took way too long.

The repair that I paid for to my D took a few months, so this is definitely something in Pentax's culture that needs to change under Ricoh's tenureship. Their UK service coordinator intimated to me today that the culture is changing. Let's hope so.

I have no faith that this lens (less in Pentax) can withstand normal field use, which begs the question “Why throw good money after bad and wait more than five months to get a lens back that will in all likelihood fail again due it its delicate AF?. I’ll use it as a MF if I ever get it back. That is my reasoning, please don’t go looking for hidden agenda.
09-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Without going into detail on the civility problems in this thread (dreadful, mainly on the OP's side of things imo...),

Now you see, here we go again with inflammatory passive aggressive opening remarks. Is it any wonder I’m ticked off? I do appreciate however the remarks from those who took the time to read, comprehend and post their fair minded comments, some have made comments that I don't agree with but I did not take umbrage.
To frame my character for anyone who cares, I have many times asked persons in retail or service jobs, who have gone out of their way to help me, to give me their boss’s contact info, so I could give them a commendation. I have done this many times more than I can remember. I did it at McBain Camera at their Edmonton main store. I was so impressed with the lady who manages service when she was able to get someone to repair my 20 year old Mecablitz potato masher flash system.
I wrote a letter to the founder, hand delivered it and asked him to share it with all his staff as I had made complementary remarks about them all. How many people do the forum members here know who will take the time to do that? I do believe in courtesy, however I do admit to having zero tolerance for passive aggressive comment.

09-01-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

Have a look at the context of your first sentence. It would suggest that the lens broke, not that the lens took a tumble.
But the thing the OP was so upset about was the service after the lens broke. That, to me, is the point of the thread. You seem to be wanting to make a different point; like he came on here ranting just because there was a problem with his lens. That's not the way I read it at all.

???

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-01-2014 at 06:16 PM.
09-01-2014, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #68

Can we move this thread to Dpreview where it is more at home?
09-01-2014, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Anyone have any ideas? Monochrome?
Do Japanese owners have to wait 6 months for a part to get a lens repaired?

If not, then that excuse is BS. Unfiltered.

I Have No clue. I have no personal experience with Pentax repair this century (or the last quarter of the last century). All my repairs are performed by a former Pentax Repair Technician / Pentax Repair Department manager who is out on his own now (and reports even HE is having trouble getting parts recently).

I have a personal supposition that 'waiting for parts from Japan' is a euphemism for 'waiting until we need enough of these parts / have enough cameras with this part broken' to justify ordering a whole box of them. I cannot imagine a situation in which Japan would not have a box of parts in stock, nor can I imagine a situation in which Japan would need to order a job-run of a single part for repairs.

Unfortunately, they have us by the short hairs when something breaks.
09-01-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

The situation is bad enough, that I wonder if it would not be better to find an independent camera repair shop in Japan, and dealing with them. Easier said than done though. I guess if somebody even has to ask that question, that might be a sign to stay away.
09-01-2014, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have experienced Pentax Australia, or CR Kennedy service and I have to say it was quite alright.

My new 90 DFA started grinding real bad after about a months use and eventually the OS died, or appeared to.

I dropped it at the Brisbane office, they sent it to Melbourne head office where it was checked. They then contacted me to say it was being sent to Japan for service. When it came back it was still grinding on startup, but then ok once on. I requested that I was not happy so they replaced it with a new one.

All of this happened in about a 6-8 week period with Christmas and new year in between. So it was fair considering the 2 weeks lost due to xmas etc.

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

The situation is bad enough, that I wonder if it would not be better to find an independent camera repair shop in Japan, and dealing with them. Easier said than done though. I guess if somebody even has to ask that question, that might be a sign to stay away.

Or better still, deal direct and buy new with a Japan store on Ebay, then when it fails just send it back to them and they fix it. Japan ebay stores are very willing to help as they want the positive feedback.

Perhaps bypassing the US distribution model with Pentax is the way to go.
09-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #72
Pentaxian

But the thing the OP was so upset about was the service after the lens broke. That, to me, is the point of the thread. You seem to be wanting to make a different point; like he came on here ranting just because there was a problem with his lens. That's not the way I read it at all.

???
The OP's first post has all the ingredients of a perfectly baked rant though - complete with the capitalised warning not to buy Pentax. That is never a very constructive way to open a discussion. The time framework for repairs is not good enough. That I accept. I've had paid repairs take 3/4 months. It definitely needs a shake up. Telling a manufacturer you won't buy from them again isn't much of an incentive to make things better. It might take some frustration out of the OP, but it won't actually solve a single thing.
09-02-2014, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

The OP's first post has all the ingredients of a perfectly baked rant though - complete with the capitalised warning not to buy Pentax. That is never a very constructive way to open a discussion. The time framework for repairs is not good enough. That I accept. I've had paid repairs take 3/4 months. It definitely needs a shake up. Telling a manufacturer you won't buy from them again isn't much of an incentive to make things better. It might take some frustration out of the OP, but it won't actually solve a single thing.
I guess that's one way to look at it. Sounds kind of pessimistic to me. I would hope that Pentax has somebody who monitors things online to see what the word on the street is, but who knows? Many other companies certainly do. Mack Camera come's to mind.

If somebody posts about a negative experience about Mack Camera's warranties, often a representative will respond and offer to help make things right. And when I've shared my positive experience with Mack Camera (they sent me a check for the full-replacement cost of a home theater projector when it failed), the rep thanked me for sharing my experience.

Speaking of 3rd party warranties, maybe that is the way to go when buying expensive gear from Pentax.

And in the OP's defense on his frustration level, we're talking about a very, very expensive lens. Someone could buy a pretty nice used car for what he spent on that one lens! He should be able to expect a higher level of customer service.
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Or better still, deal direct and buy new with a Japan store on Ebay, then when it fails just send it back to them and they fix it. Japan ebay stores are very willing to help as they want the positive feedback. Perhaps bypassing the US distribution model with Pentax is the way to go.
For some reason that just seems, wrong. Not in 'wrong' it will not work, but 'wrong' as in there is something seriously wrong with Ricoh USA, Ricoh Canada if it makes more sense to bypass them and buy from a dealer in Japan so you can get better service.

Just stop and think about the implications. Maybe that is the future. Pentax no longer available from retail dealers in the USA/Canada, just buy online from authorized dealers in Japan. If I ever needed more reasons to think that North America is not a viable market for Pentax you just provided it.
09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For some reason that just seems, wrong. Not in 'wrong' it will not work, but 'wrong' as in there is something seriously wrong with Ricoh USA, Ricoh Canada if it makes more sense to bypass them and buy from a dealer in Japan so you can get better service.

Just stop and think about the implications. Maybe that is the future. Pentax no longer available from retail dealers in the USA/Canada, just buy online from authorized dealers in Japan. If I ever needed more reasons to think that North America is not a viable market for Pentax you just provided it.

It’s heartening to read some very good ideas posted here, addressing this very serious problem with the Pentax version of customer service. I can only hope some one from Richo is following this thread and forming a plan to fix this gong show.